Nu Shooz Song On Target Store Commerical

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Nu Shooz Song On Target Store Commerical

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    washnotore
    Participant

Target TV Commercial, ‘Next Level, TargetStyle’ Song by Nu Shooz

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/ALOz/target-next-level-targetstyle-song-by-nu-shooz

Just in time of the hoilday shopping season.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I recently visited the Target Website, and I see a photo of a young woman wearing black industrial style shoes, jeans with a hole in one of the knees, and a plaid flannel shirt. I feel as if I have been magically whisked away to 1993!

The first time that I heard the song “I Can’t Wait,” in early 1986, I assumed that the people in the band that performed that song must be Black. The reason why I made that assumption was that I first heard the song on the long-defunct WVKO 1580 (Columbus, OH). WVKO played an Urban Contemporary format then, and they put “I Can’t Wait” into rotation a few months before CHR stations started playing it.

I watched the music video to that song for the first time in June of that year. I couldn’t understand why a White woman was singing the song in the video. It wasn’t until I came to Portland in the late 1990s, and I saw former members of Nu Shooz performing in other musical projects, that I was able to accept that it was possible that an Urban Contemporary radio station could have played White artists.

paulwalker
    Participant

One hit wonder. Not a bad song overall, but if this is all that PDX can offer from that era, I am sad. But…

Quarterflash…same thing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.