Nothing to worry about

This topic contains 32 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  edselehr 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

paulwalker
    Participant

Little one in 2008? Hmm.

Brianl
    Participant

There seems to be another candidate for Secretary of State, and this one is considerably more acceptable:

Romney said to be serious about secretary of state job – CNN
    https://apple.news/Aiuyu3nlKT3iK1Jw3iWP_dA

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

I would CHEER Mitt Romney at this point. Somehow I doubt it’s going to happen, though. He’s not insane.

Trump is going a different route.

From Dan Rather:

Now is a time when none of us can afford to remain seated or silent. We must all stand up to be counted.

HIstory will demand to know which side were you on. This is not a question of politics or party or even policy. This is a question about the very fundamentals of our beautiful experiment in a pluralistic democracy ruled by law.

When I see neo-Nazis raise their hands in terrifying solute, in public, in our nation’s capital, I shudder in horror. When I see that action mildly rebuked by a boilerplate statement from the President-elect whom these bigots have praised, the anger in me grows. And when I see some in a pliant press turn that mild statement into what they call a denunciation I cannot hold back any longer.

Our Declaration of Independence bequeaths us our cherished foundational principle: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

These truths may be self-evident but they are not self-replicating. Each generation has to renew these vows. This nation was founded as an opposite pole to the capriciousness of an authoritarian monarch. We set up institutions like a free press and an independent court system to protect our fragile rights. We have survived through bloody spasms of a Civil War and a Civil Rights Movement to extend more of these rights to more of our citizens. But the direction of our ship of state has not always been one of progress. We interned Japanese Americans, Red Baited during the McCarthy era, and more. I feel the rip tide of regression once again swelling under my feet. But I intend to remain standing.

In normal times of a transition in our presidency between an incoming and outgoing administration of differing political parties, there is a certain amount of fretting on one side and gloating on the other. And the press usually takes a stance that the new administration at least deserves to have a chance to get started – a honeymoon period. But these are not normal times. This is not about tax policy, health care, or education – even though all those and more are so important. This is about racism, bigotry, intimidation and the specter of corruption.

But as I stand I do not despair, because I believe the vast majority of Americans stand with me. To all those in Congress of both political parties, to all those in the press, to religious and civic leaders around the country. your voices must be heard. I hope that the President-elect can learn to rise above this and see the dangers that are brewing. If he does and speaks forcibly, and with action, we should be ready to welcome his voice. But of course I am deeply worried that his selections of advisors and cabinet posts suggests otherwise.

To all of you I say, stay vigilant. The great Martin Luther King, Jr. knew that even as a minority, there was strength in numbers in fighting tyranny. Holding hands and marching forward, raising your voice above the din of complacency, can move mountains. And in this case, I believe there is a vast majority who wants to see this nation continue in tolerance and freedom. But it will require speaking. Engage in your civic government. Flood newsrooms or TV networks with your calls if you feel they are slipping into the normalization of extremism. Donate your time and money to causes that will fight to protect our liberties.

We are a great nation. We have survived deep challenges in our past. We can and will do so again. But we cannot be afraid to speak and act to ensure the future we want for our children and grandchildren.

skeptical
    Participant

If I was Romney, I’d demand pocession of the nuke football.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

I still doubt he’ll be selected. Trump and his team of yes men and sycophants do not seem to welcome expertise or dissenting viewpoints.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Justice is served!

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/11/salem_city_councilor_who_shared_video_of_cars_running_over_black_lives_matter_protesters_resigns.html#incart_big-photo

Daniel Benjamin, the Salem city councilor who came under fire for sharing a video of vehicles running over Black Lives Matter protesters, has resigned.

The Statesman Journal reports that Benjamin handed his resignation in Wednesday.

Benjamin was also apparently let go from his job at Power Nissan after sharing the video. The former city councilor told The Oregonian/Oregonlive that he believes Facebook comments on the business’s page calling for his dismissal played a part.

skeptical
    Participant

In a conservative city, too.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Imagine the twitter-storm if he had said ‘Anglo-Saxon’ (which is more correct).
    A suprising fair and balanced ‘updated’ report:
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/12/politics/jeff-sessions-anglo-american-law-enforcement/index.html
    A suprising unfair and unbalanced non-updated report:
    http://freebeacon.com/politics/liberals-accuse-sessions-racism-referring-anglo-american-heritage-u-s-law/

radiodork
    Spectator

Ladies and Gentleman Lurking Grendel is back and apparently he forgot to take his meds. Grab your Prozac libs because you might need it when Trump wins in 2020. The meltdown from the left is fun to watch though.
    OH MY GOD THE WORLD IS GONNA END UNDER TRUMP. The mass hysteria is both hilarious and entertaining.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Where did that come from?
    Yeah
    Oh. Yeah. I forgot. Again.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Trump 2020 is not happening.

His piss poor ratings will be a drag on the midterm election in 2018 and we will likely see the House and/or the Senate flip to the Dems.

Plus, he’s too old and too much of a dick to survive another election. There are just not enough dickheads left in the voting population to carry him. Even though you’re still a dickhead and still supports him. You are thankfully a minority. And a declining minority at that.

edselehr
    Participant

If Trump’s still around in 2020 and runs again, he’ll get primaried, big time. The NeverTrumpers are still out there, and they are hating this guy but (generally) keeping their mouths shut, because he is a somewhat useful fool (and they want to keep a semblance of Republican unity).

And, unlike 2016 when Trump was not taken seriously, both the Dems and mainstream GOP will take him *very* seriously, and work hard to unseat him.

edselehr
    Participant

America’s “snide and nonsensical” reserves are at full capacity, thanks primarily to dork.

Andrew
    Participant

Of course some Dems will run for president and try to beat Trump. The question is: will the best Dem candidates really step forward? Or will the ambitious, calculating types decide to lay low and hold out for 2024? Incumbent presidents usually win re-election and are hard to beat.

I thought Trump would be primaried too – but I’m starting to have doubts. His popularity among Republicans has never fallen below 80% and is now over 85%, and even his general approval rating has edged up to 40% according to Gallup – curious how that happens when the stock market starts to get so volatile. The tax cuts gave him a boost – no one is talking about the huge debt they voted for, because Republicans talk about that only during Democratic administrations, and Democrats either can’t or won’t talk about debt and get it into the news cycle, so the general public isn’t thinking about the debt either. Wait til the next Democrat is elected, then blame him or her!

Chris_taylor
    Participant

I’m not holding out hope for a Dem win in the fall. Though there are signs that blue is changing some local state legislatures, I’m just not overly confident they’ll run the table.

The Trump win was so surprising at the time, though we know more about how and why he won. I don’t take anything for granted. I just want better checks and balances and hope that one of the chambers switches or is strong enough to slow down all this stupid GOP legislation that is so regressive.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.