Not a hoax afterall

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    bookemdono
    Participant

Are the republicans who spearheaded this committee deliberately trying to save themselves instead of trump? Its looking like a pretty damning report and trump’s campaign did knowingly conspire with the russians in 2016. Those senate republicans that did contribute to this report have some explaining to do for not allowing the impeachment proceedings play out to their fullest extent.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/08/senate-panel-finds-russia-interfered-in-the-2016-us-election-on-behalf-of-president-donald-trump.html

Vitalogy
    Participant

Spineless cowards.

Andrew
    Participant

Bonus: Trump lied to Mueller’s investigators.

It appears Trump could actually be impeached after he leaves office, so that in fact might happen if he loses in November. The punishment would be not removal from office, obviously, but being barred from holding any future office (probably symbolic but at least sets the record straight for history).

Andy Brown
    Participant

One can only hope. Also, his financial issues in and through the SDNY and other NY State filings may crumble his financial empire (I use the world empire loosely).

I doubt he’d ever serve any jail time, but you never know. I think it would be somewhat ironic after pardoning his cronies that he’d be the one to have to serve out a full sentence.

Stranger things have happened.

I think the release of this report and the findings contained therein may cast a long shadow over his reelection chances. His campaign was probably caught blindsided by this and yes, his enablers in the Senate may have finally come to the realization that their own reelections are at risk. Ba bye Mitch and Lindsey. Even this report ain’t gonna save those two guys. And in the end, they will have been sunk by their own. The Lincoln Project and this report which is probably the best news of this week.

semoochie
    Participant

If Trump doesn’t have to serve time after committing multiple counts of bribery, tax fraud, bank fraud, money laundering and racketeering, not to mention the aforementioned reckless endangerment and probable rape, it will be the biggest injustice in the history of the United States!

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

Semoochie – The biggest injustice in the US? I doubt it.

The treatment of African-American’s, for me, is the biggest injustice. The new Documentary, 13th, is worth watching.

bookemdono
    Participant

One of the most powerful things I’ve experienced this year was attending a BLM gathering in Irving Park and seeing one of the BLM speakers stand on what was once land and home to indigenous tribes in this area and hear him call for justice for the indigenous peoples whose land and way of life was extinguished by white settlers.

Can’t argue the magnitude of injustice towards African-Americans in this country but I’d add the tribes native to North America have suffered the worst fate at the hands white people. While blacks were thought of as 3/5’s of a person, native Americans weren’t even held in that high of regard as entire populations were wiped from their land.

bookemdono
    Participant

Back on topic, that the release of the bi-partisan report barely causes a ripple in the news shows how far we’ve sunk. We’ve reached the point where it doesn’t matter how bad the revelations are about trump and the russians nothing will he done and his followers will dismiss it as the continue to worship at his temple of lies and distractions.

The fact he even is in the conversation to be re-elected is astonishing. Watching the Bidens tonite I can’t help but wonder what happened to our country’s sense of decency? Then I remember that trump obliterated it.

paulwalker
    Participant

Agreed. Trump has become the new Teflon President. This will go nowhere. Dems are instead hoping for a change by voters. Which isn’t guaranteed at all 2 plus months out.

semoochie
    Participant

Chris, I was thinking in terms of the most powerful person in the country going through the court system, with a portfolio chock full of abuses and not having to pay for those abuses. Clearly, 400 years of systemic mistreatment of an entire race is far worse than that! Nevertheless, it would be a terrible message to send to others, who may even be more dangerous than Trump, if that is possible!

Andrew
    Participant

We have to keep reminding ourselves that the reason Trump is able to get away with so much is because Republicans in Congress let him. If Republicans in the Senate really cared about things like Russian interference in US elections, they would have voted to convict him in the impeachment trial. Trump understood long before he meddled in Ukraine last year that he could get away with anything – and this Republican group wasn’t going to stop him.

Nixon would never have resigned if all the Republicans in the Senate had stood behind him and agreed they would never vote to convict in an impeachment trial. Democrats did not have 67 votes then either. And if Nixon hadn’t needed to worry about being impeached and convicted, he too might have gone a whole lot further than he did in some areas.

It’s not that Donald Trump is some Superman impervious to criticism, who never existed before. It’s just that this human filth was able to ascend at a time when his political party gave up on caring about the rule of law and American democracy and started to care only about political power. In some ways, we’re lucky someone much worse than him hasn’t yet come along. Trump has been a sloppy, unskilled politician; he could have done a lot more damage if he knew when to pull his punches.

semoochie
    Participant

Nixon loved America and other than Watergate and that Vietnam thing, was basically a good president. At no time did I fear what he would do to the country or myself!

Andy Brown
    Participant

“basically a good president”

Wrong. Re-elected on the promise to end the war in Vietnam and invaded Cambodia instead. Tens of thousands of deaths resulted. Don’t get me started. He was as evil as drumpf and a whole heck of a lot more intelligent. He fooled you, apparently. And Herb.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Yeah, if I was a year or two older, he coulda gotten me killed.

Andrew
    Participant

Richard Nixon signed some forward-looking domestic legislation like the Clean Water Act and the legislation to form the EPA. (Passed by Democratic Congresses.) And he made some bold foreign policy initiatives e.g. opening China. But he was a deeply disturbed man. Try reading the diaries of H.R. Haldeman, Nixon’s first chief of staff and at one point a true believer who would have taken a bullet for Nixon. Or listen to / read transcriptions of the infamous tapes. He was paranoid about his political enemies and tried to use the government bureaucracy to “get” them – sound familiar?

On the other hand, Nixon at least knew what he was talking about in regard to foreign policy. He had a good grasp of the issues. Trump does not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.