Norway Pulling the Plug on FM Radio

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Norway Pulling the Plug on FM Radio

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Brown 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Alfredo_T
    Participant

NRK (Norway’s public broadcaster) and private stations with nationwide coverage will be transitioning to DAB only operation this year. The shutoff does not apply to local radio stations.

This thread is an offshoot from the “Pulling the Plug on AM” thread.

e_dawg
    Participant

I can tell you That I was in Norway couple weeks ago. Outside of Oslo, the only stations that I can pick up are the national broadcaster NRK P1 to P3.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  e_dawg.

e_dawg
    Participant

oh btw there aren’t that much radio stations in Northern Europe ve Southern Europe

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  e_dawg.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Contrasted with the U.S. where there are thousands of radio stations using the exact same programming, delivered by computers, not in real time, boring everyone to death and <drumroll> going broke.

Big corporations have killed radio and have no interest in reviving it. They are run by selfish greedy men with huge egos that couldn’t care less about the audience they servey. They run these robotic stations to garner ratings with the Nielsen meter equipped people whom are a literal sliver of the listening audience which has shrunk.

Nationwide, radio ad revenue is sinking <again> and has not recovered from the major hit it took in the first decade of the century. 2015 numbers have little to indicate things will rebound because the economy on the national level has increased for large corporations but not big broadcasting companies. No. Uh-uh.

http://www.radioworld.com/business-and-law/0009/us-radio-revenue-174-billion-down-1-last-year/336865

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.