Northwest Hispanic Radio Happenings

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Northwest Hispanic Radio Happenings

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Randy_in_Eugene 4 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

chessyduck
    Participant

Okay folks, I am going to drop in a new category to fill a niche as Hispanic radio is such an important part of today’s traditional over-the-air radio. (Hey , even I speak Spanish)
    —————————————-
    I ran across an out-of-market article about Portland’s Bustos Media buying a metro Tucson AMer. (They paid $500K per All Access).

https://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2018/08/09/kvoi-am-radio-station-moving-to-local-talk-radio

MEDIA / NEWS – From Tucson Weekly
    “KVOI AM Radio Station Moving to Local Talk Radio”
    POSTED BY JIM NINTZEL ON THU, AUG 9, 2018 AT 11:04 AM.

The article claims Bustos is going to keep the English-language local conservative talk format…. Any wagers?

Chessyduck – El pato de la Bahía de Chesapeake

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Seems to be the opportunity for another in Tuscon. Lotus regional mex KCMT-FM does a great job and then there is the iFeart Tejano simulc from Dallas. Hate talkers blast in from Phoenix. Local sports talkers don’t do well. While Tuscon is on the border and scores of illegal aliens arrive every day at the Greyhound Bus Depot, I don’t think Bustos PNW radio formats would work there. Why not keep the same format?
    Afternoon Drive guy’s nom de air is Mike Check. Gotta love it!

Bienvenudos, chessyduck. Soy un pato en Redmond.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Y ahora, por completamente diferente:
    https://freebeacon.com/national-security/mexican-radio-beam-chinese-propaganda/
    Why not? If Yuans finance Hollywierd’s biggest blockbusters including the two biggest movies in theaters right now, why not.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I saw this story on another board. Why does the name of the FCC even come up? XEWW is licensed by the Mexican government.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Good question.
    XEWW-AM signal contours are north -south with near half the coverage area reaching near 4,000 kM up the left coast. Studios are in LA. Have been for decades.
    My understanding is the 2012 CanAMex RFCC Agreement portion concerning ownership is at the behest of Mexico City because too many U.S radio stations were ‘stealing’ Mexican audiences. FCC granted GLR, an American company, to broadcast into a foreign country in 2012..
    CRTC objection to a Detroit area AM station sale to Sinclair was sustained by FCC in 2013, AIR.
    Story mentions the Mighty 690 only serves Southern California. Bwahahaha. Kind’a fun listening to XEWW and CBU battle it out at night.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Even though the sale involves a foreign broadcaster, the FCC has a role because the Mexican radio station broadcasts into the United States. Under a 1992 U.S.-Mexico agreement limiting foreign broadcasts from Mexico that can reach the United States, the FCC can block the sale if the agreement will be violated.

https://freebeacon.com/national-security/mexican-radio-beam-chinese-propaganda/

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I was not paying attention, and I missed that particular paragraph in the article. 🙁

cbaravelli
    Spectator

R & R archives are NLA on the web. But I recall back in the 80’s Federales block the sale of XELO – Ciudad Juarez to Pentecostals and later XERB – Tijuana to Evangelics. Wolfman Jack had to find work in NYC and later LA.

Where is George Lucas now that we need him most?

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  cbaravelli. Reason: Have Mercy!

chessyduck
    Participant

Long story in today’s Arizona Star about Bustos Media’s entrance into that market.. the web article includes a nice in-studio photo of Amador Bustos.

“Steller column: As Tucson radio landscape shifts, new owner tries all-local-talk format”
    Arizona Daily Star Nov 6, 2018

——————————
    https://tucson.com/news/local/steller-column-as-tucson-radio-landscape-shifts-new-owner-tries/article_27d7ad0d-f7f1-56d0-847b-a09cd10f1a9a.html

Tucson radio listeners have shown they like the news-talk format, but all-local talk?

That’s the play a new Tucson radio station owner is making after buying one of Tucson’s better known talk-radio stations.

Amador Bustos, owner of Bustos Media, bought KVOI (1030-AM) recently and on Nov. 1 turned it into an all-local-talk, all-day format. Previously, the station had local talk for certain periods of the day, interspersed with nationally syndicated hosts such as Dennis Prager and Michael Medved.

“KVOI has been a news-talk station for many years,” Bustos told me Tuesday. “It had a certain amount of established following. I didn’t want to change the format from news talk, but I wanted to make it a lot more local instead.”

“I also wanted to diversify the programming,” he said. “I decided to make it local Tucson.”

The station will feature local hosts from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., but not just the conservative political hosts that dominate most talk radio. Then, Bloomberg radio will play overnight.

Bustos, who has been in the radio business for decades in California and Oregon, is making a broader play in Tucson-area radio. He also bought KTGV (106.3-FM) when Scripps sold its local stations to Lotus Communications but Lotus needed to spin off two stations to stay within regulatory limits. And he is considering an additional radio-station purchase.

The KVOI purchase was one of five sales made this summer by Doug and Mary Martin and their business, Good News Communications, as they got out of the radio business and pivoted to marketing and public relations.

Doug Martin told me Tuesday it had become increasingly clear that his radio business was becoming like a mom-and-pop drugstore in a CVS-and-Walgreens world. The stations needed economies of scale in order to compete, he said. With his sales, he said, there will be four main commercial radio groups in Tucson: iHeartRadio, Cumulus, Lotus and Bustos Media.

Of Bustos, Martin said, “He’s just a tremendous talent, somebody who has really done it.”

Bustos was born in Michoacan, Mexico, and moved with his family to California when he was 12. He got a bachelor’s degree in philosophy from the University of California, Berkeley and a master’s degree in the sociology of education. He was working on a doctorate when he veered off into the radio business.

He built a Spanish-language radio network, Z Spanish Radio Media, and sold it to Entravision for $350 million in 2000. Then he started a new radio business that crashed in the 2008 recession. Then he started again with Bustos Media in 2011.

Now, Bustos has bought a home in Tucson and plans to spend much of the winter here while living much of the rest of the year in Portland. Ironically, his stations in the Pacific Northwest tend to be Spanish-language broadcasters, while the Tucson stations will be in English. Some of the stations in Oregon even broadcast Russian-language programming to the emigre population there.

Bustos had longtime local talker John C. Scott help out with the programming. After trying a variety of different options, he ended up expanding morning host Chris DeSimone’s show from three hours to four hours, 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. Mark Bishop will do a local variety show from 10 a.m. to noon.

Bill Buckmaster will continue with his local talk show from noon to 1 p.m. That’s followed by Steve Rivera hosting a local sports-talk show from 1 to 3 p.m. Scott himself will host from 3 to 5 p.m. From 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Dawn English hosts local cultural programming. Then Bloomberg takes over.

The extra hour could be a tough test for DeSimone, but Bustos said he wanted him to stay in the morning slot because “Chris has been the anchor of that station for the last six to seven years.” Bustos added he wanted the conservative DeSimone to stay on, “To continue to preserve the identity of the station, whether I agreed with his political philosophy or not.”

He hopes the other shows will balance each other politically and from other perspectives, like age, gender and topic.

Scott, for example, tends to be politically liberal.

He sees strengths and weaknesses in the shows he helped establish.

“I’m not totally thrilled with the lineup, but I love Rivera. He’s great, he’s a natural at what he does, and I get to do what I’ve done for decades,” Scott said.

The disappeared national talk shows have upset some local listeners, but Bustos said he’s used to that. Programming changes always come with complaints. Scott, for one, is happy: “I’m really thrilled they’re gone. Every time I turned them on, I wanted to turn the car into a telephone pole.”

But the radio business is in a tough position. Online streaming and podcasts have made broadcast stations almost antiquated, especially as cars increasingly feature satellite radio.

“Content will be king, and how you receive the content won’t matter so much,” Martin said.

Paying for the good content could be tough.

Joseph Morgan, an Arizona Daily Star guest columnist who had a Saturday show on KVOI, told me he was planning to do a daily one-hour show under Bustos’ regime, but he couldn’t make it pencil out financially because Bustos was asking him to pay $100 per hour for airtime and recruit sponsors who would cover the costs.

“I think it’s crazy that they’re charging the content producers,” Morgan said. “I was going to have to get my own sponsors, pay for my own show, do all the content creation, and I was getting zero support from the station.”

Bustos said he thinks the revenue-sharing system he’s established could work but he’s waiting to see.

”It’s an experiment for all of us,” he said. “I don’t necessarily know if it’s going to take root in this market.”

He said he’s willing to give the experiment about a year. If it doesn’t work, there are plenty of other formats to try.

chessyduck
    Participant

According to All-Access (quoting the FCC) the sale price for KVOI was $500K. (Not sure if this included the 106.3 FM outlet licensed to Oracle, AZ… KTGV)

Bob Berry
    Participant

This on any local (localism) radio playlist?

chessyduck
    Participant

Ok. Fair retort as the news item was Tucson-focused although Bustos Media definitely has a PDX-bent…just look at all the translator/FM battles in the Portland area caused by the Bustos effect.

Meanwhile, your choice of “Border Radio” falls flat. Clearly the great “Wall of Voodoo” hit titled “Mexican Radio” carries the day… ¡Olé!

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Gotta’ defend The Blasters here. “Mexican Radio” is a good song but it has been played to death. I spent about 15 or 20 minutes letting Youtube play whatever Blasters songs came up next.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.