Northwest Cable News is shutting down

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Northwest Cable News is shutting down

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chico
    Participant

Say goodbye to NWCN.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/local/nwcn-airs-final-newscast-january-2017/343957833

I don’t know what Tegna has done to KGW, but KING has been totally gutted in recent months, so I suppose this was inevitable.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Dish had NWCN for a while. That is, until the contract came up to renewal and Tegna then demanded the same fee for NWCN as for their network station. NWCN pulled Dish. As much as I like NWCN, I do not believe NWCN is worth what a network station is. First NWCN repeats their news too much. Their comment about streaming the local news on each channel is true, but I will bet carriers just do want to pay the increased rate.

paulwalker
    Participant

Tegna says that diminishing ratings are due to social media and live streaming but this is total BS and everyone knows it. This Cable News Network was never in the plans for Gannett/tegna. The real reason why this cable net is shutting down is because they just gave up about two years ago running the same news cast hour after hour with little original programming. What a disastrous end to a good idea. This is endemic to the former king empire falling apart under corporate malfeasance.

washnotore
    Participant

It kinda make us wonder what Pacific Northwest stations Tegna will keep. It’s safe bet to say, large markets stations like KING-TV and KGW-TV will remain. What is the status of there in market sister stations. Like KONG-TV and KGWZ-LD could they be sold to another owner or go to spectrum action.

When it comes to the other KING Broadcasting stations in Spokane and Boise. Will KREM-TV, KSKN-TV, KTVB-TV and KTFT-LD still remain a Tegan. Or will they be sold to mid or small size market ownership groups.

I guess will just have to wait and find out.

Cyclone
    Participant

In reality, it has been Seattle Cable News for a long time. Most of the stories were Seattle related.

mwdxer1
    Participant

For certain, viewing television has entered a new era. Streaming is becoming more and more popular. I bought a Roku back 3 years ago and the programming has more that tripled in that time. With the sale of spectrum in the future, more TV stations will sign off and some will go to streaming. When someone complained to an FCC official, they suggested the viewer go to streaming. This looks like the future like it or not. Here on the Coast we have 2-6-8-10-12. Hopefully we will be able to keep the channels.

e_dawg
    Participant

So will Comcast move MSNBC from channel128 to channel 49? What will Comcast in Seattle will do with channel 2 spot?

paulwalker
    Participant

Shopping net. Guaranteed revenue.

Slythe
    Participant

They can’t move MSNBC down to the higher visibility low double digits without ticking off the various Fox channels.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Besides that, NWCN has never had a spot on any of Comcast’s HD tiers; nor have they really put any energy into promoting it. Comcast Portland shows it on Ch. 49, so one wonders what they will do with it. MSNBC is on Comcast’s HD lineup in Portland (and I’ll be interested to see the viewership figures from election night this year, given that the White House race wasn’t called until almost midnight PT/3am ET).

Most parts of the nation have a regional news channel and a regional sports channel. (NYC is lucky to have two fulltime news channels.) Will something eventually replace NWCN? In addition, much of the on-air talent was promoted from local stations across the NW. Where do they go at year’s end?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.