Noise in KINK's Audio Chain

This topic contains 39 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  cbaravelli 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Gabe
    Participant

Anyone else hear that? I first noticed a high-pitched shrieking sound from 101.9 KINK last night, and it’s still there now.

Gabe
    Participant

I just tried a second radio and the noise is still there. It’s not in their online audio feed though (which I assume comes directly from the processor, bypassing the RF chain). I suspect it’s a hum in their exciter, but I was never an engineer!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Gabe.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Anyone else hear that? I first noticed a high-pitched shrieking sound from 101.9 KINK last night, and it’s still there now.

Yeah. Irritating, isn’t it?

Her name’s Adele.

radiodork
    Spectator

High pitched shrieking sound? Thats probably the over-rated and under talented, safe and boring band called Imagine Dragons. Cookie cutter rock at it’s worst.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  radiodork.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I feel a bit of a déjà vu because the subject of STL aural artifacts at Portland Alpha media stations has come up in the past. Perhaps I am in the minority in that I otherwise consider KINK to be one of the most listenable commercial music radio stations in the Portland market. KKOV is OK, but the playlist gets repetitive after a while. The others sound as though they have been run into the ground through a thousand budget cuts.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

High pitched shrieking sound? Thats probably the over-rated and under talented, safe and boring band called Imagine Dragons. Cookie cutter rock at its worst.

Well at least they’re not so unpleasant to listen to. They’re just stale and boring as fuck (so it fits perfectly in line with 99% of Portland’s so-called “music scene”. Ahem.).

I know a guy who describes Adele as sounding like a drunk 80-something chain-smoking housewife on karaoke night. IMHO any station playing more than more than one of her cuts per month should receive visits from DHS on charges of domestic terrorism. Who needs cell phone bombs or fertilizer or flying planes into buildings when you can just play Adele?

F’in christ.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I withdraw my comments about KKOV, as it has changed formats.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Bad cap. My guess in the band stop filter by-pass circuit. Hard to component trouble shoot (if anyone still can).

radiodork
    Spectator

947 Alternative Portland “ It’s different here.” (Cue Imagine Dragons) Sorry 947 you lost all credibility when you started overplaying Imagine Dragons. How many radio stations in Portland play Imagine Dragon? Let’s see
    K103
    Kbff
    Krsk
    And people wonder why radio is dead.

radiodork
    Spectator

Add Kink to the list of stations that play Imagine Dragons.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  radiodork.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

The Master of Disaster has never heard of this “Imagine Dragons” and had to find a Youtube clip. After maybe twenty seconds the Master of Disaster concluded it isn’t their cup of audio coffee either, however the complaint (and yes, this following message that one is currently reading) serves little more than to advertise “Imagine Dragons”.

One cannot expect what is considered music to remain a static constant or for all music to meet one’s individual tastes.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

You made me search Imagine Dragons to see whether I recognized any of their songs. Indeed, I did. However, I also noted that their music videos look as though they were expensive to produce. I believe that the focus of Imagine Dragons is more on the videos than the music.

Another thing that I noted is that all of the members of Imagine Dragons are Millennials. Doesn’t that make you feel old?

The lesson that I’ve learned here is that if I had some friends in an obscure band, first, they need to create some kind of an online presence. Then, I need to badmouth them on Internet message boards. The other participants will become intrigued about why I hate them so much. This will create instant free publicity.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

BINGO! We Have Another Winner!
    “There is no such thing as ‘bad publicity’ if my name is spelled right.” – Grace Jones

jkmartin
    Participant

It’s not only on KINK. I have also heard that same harmonic distortion on other FM and AM stations in that cluster and it’s been going on for at least a year.

lastday
    Participant

I don’t hate Imagine Dragons. Not at all.

But I wouldn’t pay for their music. Kind of like Mumford & Sons.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.