No charges for NYPD officer in chokehold death

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things No charges for NYPD officer in chokehold death

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

A Staten Island grand jury declined Wednesday to indict a white New York City police officer in connection with the July chokehold death of an unarmed black man.

Police Officer Daniel Pantaleo, a 29-year-old, eight-year veteran of the force, faced possible charges in the July 17 death of Eric Garner, who was stopped on suspicion of selling loose cigarettes. Video captured Pantaleo using what appeared to be an illegal chokehold on Garner, a 43-year-old father of six with a lengthy criminal record. Garner, who had health problems, died as a result of the encounter.

In the video, Garner can be heard yelling, “I can’t breathe!”

Jonathan Moore, an attorney for the victim’s family, said he is “astonished by the decision.”

The grand jury, which consisted of 15 whites and 8 minorities, concluded there was not enough evidence to indict Pantaleo, who faced charges ranging from murder to a lesser offense such as reckless endangerment.

He had been stripped of his gun and badge and placed on desk duty while the case was under investigation, and is likely to remain on modified duty while the NYPD conducts an internal investigation that could result in administrative charges.

While details on the grand jurors were not disclosed, Staten Island is the most politically conservative of the city’s five boroughs and home to many police and firefighters. The panel began hearing evidence in late September, including the video, autopsy results and testimony by Pantaleo.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/03/no-indictment-for-nypd-cop-in-chokehold-death-unarmed-man-source-says/

What do unarmed black men have to do to not be killed by the cops? All over selling loose cigs? And it was even on video. Unbelievable.

jerry1949
    Spectator

You can get arrested for selling individual cigarettes? What a stupid law.

But he did resist arrest and nobody tried to kill him.

The assertion is they only arrest blacks who sell loose cigarettes?

Anyway, that’s a law that should be changed. A case of over regulation.

duxrule
    Participant

Can’t you read? Watch the video; the one cop uses a choke hold that has been banned. BTW, the person who took that video IS being charged? How fucked up is that?

NYPD cop who choked Eric Garner wasn’t indicted — but man who recorded the incident was

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/nypd-cop-who-choked-eric-garner-wasnt-indicted-but-man-who-recorded-the-incident-was/

jerry1949
    Spectator

jerry1949
    Spectator

He didn’t try to kill him with that choke hold. Those cops already knew about this fellow’s run-ins with the law and expected problems, which is why several went to restrain him–so that nobody would get hurt.

He’d be alive if he hadn’t resisted arrest.

Skin color isn’t a factor in this case, though Sharpton apparently will get his piece of the millions that will come out of the pockets of the taxpayers for making this into a racial situation, instead of the unfortunate accident that it is.

What a waste of resources to have and enforce laws pertaing to selling loose cigarettes.

duxrule
    Participant

Thers’s a reason why that particular hold is banned. WTF is so important about selling loose cigs that multiple cops need to manhandle someone? Hand him a ticket and be on your way. He’d be alive if that had happened, or if the cop that was choking him listened to him say that he couldn’t breathe.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I heard a report yesterday that protests in New York City over this verdict had resulted in about thirty arrests.

Notalent
    Participant

Apparently a local corner store owner called the cops on the guy. The local store sells tobacco legally at full retail including NY state and city taxes which are the highest in the nation.

The perp was cutting into the legal retailers business as well as state and city revenue so the store owner complained which is what led the police to show up.

The Mayor of NY recently started a campaign to crack down on people selling single cigarettes on the streets because they really need those tax monies, don’t you know.

Vitalogy
    Participant

So selling cigs is worthy of the death penalty?

Even Charles Krathhammer thinks this was excessive.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2014/12/03/totally-incomprehensible-charles-krauthammer-says-grand-jury-made-wrong-judgment-nypd

Notalent
    Participant

He didn’t die from a choke hold and a “submission hold” wasn’t applied because of the cigarette.

That was the result of this man choosing not to comply with cops when they told him to move along.

The actual death was an accident that happened because he had other health issues unknown to the police.

The other health issues were not related to him being black.

Andy Brown
    Participant

He should still have been indicted if for no other reason then the application of an illegal restraining maneuver outlawed years ago and forbidden by police policy. How much that contributed to the victim’s death is not the issue, it’s implementation is.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Look: The guy was alive before the cops showed up to hassle him over a very low level issue.

The part I can’t look past is the fact that his hands were up the whole time, even his palms were flat and not punching or grabbing on to anything but thin air. Even when on the ground his palms are flat, there’s no resisting at all. And then you can hear him say several time “I can’t breathe”. The chokehold killed him.

I don’t see why the cops had to escalate the situation like they did. The officer should be held accountable.

Notalent
    Participant

You don’t see because you choose to form an opinion before you know the facts. Same as with Ferguson.

There are plenty of details out there.

There are two types of neck based submission. One being forearm pressing against throat the second being forearm and bicep pushing against the arteries on the side of the neck to starve the brain of blood/oxygen.

Squishing the adams apple is the illegal method. There was no sign that the adams apple was squished on the victim.

In fact the autopsy report indicated that he died from cardiac arrest which was due to the chest compression caused by him being face down on the sidewalk and an associated asthma condition.

Another fact, cracking down on street cigarette sellers is a tax revenue tactic employed by the neo progressive mayor of NYC putting cops on the street to collect taxes rather than deal with real criminals. If they didn’t have the highest taxes in the world on cigarettes this would not be necessary. Low taxes save lives and lower crime!

Progressive tax polices and stringent enforcement caused this!

jerry1949
    Spectator

I don’t see why this petty offense deserves arrest, but neither do I see this case as a targeting of a black man.

It’s stupid to resist arrest, though. I could have fled the few times I’ve been pulled over and ended up dead because of what was initially a minor infraction. I don’t like being detained by a cop either, but it’s my duty to go through the process, guilty or innocent.

jerry1949
    Spectator

Limbaugh:

RUSH: We have a guy who died over a tax collection issue, but nobody will say that out loud… Did you see the number of cops that descended on this guy? Five or six cops on a guy selling loosies? On a guy selling cigarettes? What kind of orders must these cops be under?… New York state imposes a tax of $4.35 a pack. That’s the highest of any state. That’s on top of the local New York City tax of a buck sixty, which is also the highest of any city. The mayor, de Blasio, had just ordered the police to crack down on illegal cigarettes a few weeks before the Garner incident.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.