NextGen 3.0 questions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

I have not seen any new posting on NextGen 3.0. Has anyone seen it and is the pq are stunning as it is supposed to be? It will be years until we get it via translators out here, but I was wondering how it looks and is the coverage better than 1.0? I read it is supposed to cover better. How much power is being used? The same as 1.0?

DarkStar
    Participant

Regarding PQ: With KATU running at about 2.3 Mbps (720p), I’m very impressed with how well the HEVC encoding is working. Our Technicolor SL-HDR isn’t working due to compatibility issues with KRCW’s exciter, but we think that will be resolved by the end of the year.

Unfortunately I don’t have any mobile receiving equipment to do any field testing with, so I can’t comment on reception coverage yet.

Transmitter power output levels are very dependent on what equipment is being used. KRCW is still using their old Thompson IoT transmitter, so they had to back off on the power to maintain an acceptable MER (modulation error ratio) on NextGen TV.

When the time comes that KATU and KOIN switch from ATSC 1.0 to NextGen TV, their transmitters will be capable of doing so at the exact same power level (they’re both a Rohde & Schwarz THU9evo for those curious).

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks for the update. I have not read anything on 3.0 since the switch. So it looks like it still has a ways to go. We are happy out here on the coast with the additional channels. Just waiting on KPTV’s switch to have them all.

yahmit
    Participant

Any ideas on when KPTV will switch on the translators. Ths diginets are not coming in too well in Salem from their main transmitter.

DarkStar
    Participant

I’m not sure what the KPTV/KPDX plan is. They ran a special multiplex for their translators, but now that KGW has 49-2 and 49-3 I would think that they would just put the current KPTV multiplex on all the KPTV and KPDX translators.

I’m sure it’s more complicated than just moving a cable around though, but I know a few people and will see if there is a plan.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I got an e mail from the CE at Meredith and was told they have had a lot of other things going on. Hopefully they will get out to the sites next week. Earlier I heard they were headed out on the 29th after the switch, but I guess something came up, so they could not get to it. There are only 6 sites I know of that uses the 12.1/49.1 mux. Astoria (Megler), Tillamook, Newport, Salem, Newberg, and Monument OR. I was wondering why there is a translator at Monument in Eastern OR. After all Monument has less than 200 people. But apparently there is one there. The rest are either KPTV mux or KPDX mux with all of the diginets. Right now we have 22 channels (Megler). Only the 12.1 mux is missing (12.2 Cozi/12.3 Laff/12.4 DABL/49.3 Bounce. They we will have 26 OTA channels. Really nice. I am an fan of old TV shows, so Antenna TV is fun along with METV. One thing to note. In the past when the Encoder died, they just switched to the 12.1 mux, so we did not have KPDX, until they got the Encoder replaced. But it may have taken a trip to Megler, Hopefully newt week. I am sure 3.0 is taking a lot of their time.

Scott Young
    Participant

The Monument translator you mentioned might be on Black Mountain. There used to be vertically polarized translators there, known as inter city relays. They were used to link between Stacker Butte in the gorge to the Blue Mountain translator district on Mt Fanny. I’m going from memory here and it’s a little hazy…haven’t worked in TV since 2013.

mwdxer1
    Participant

It kind of reminds me of the K-O Peak (Grays River WA) translators serving that area. Not a lot of population, but it is bounce off peak from the Portland West Hills to Megler.

LinleyG
    Participant

I observed KRCW’s power fall an average of 1.2 dB as it changed over to ATSC3 and wondered if it was real or my SA’s reaction to the new signal. On the other hand, KPDX’s power also declined an average of 1.3 dB as it changed over so I am still left unsure.

KPDX’s transmitter is just meeting the FCC’s emissions mask close to the channel edge. KRCW’s signal is buried between to adjacent channel signals so I can’t measure how it’s doing off air.

Don’t forget what is probably KOXO’s ATSC3 signal on RF channel 15. It turned on a day after KPDX and KRCW. At turn on, it was rolled off 20 dB at the edge of what should have been a flat spectrum. That’s been fixed but it’s still emitting adjacent channel emissions well above the FCC’s mask.

One can determine some of the parameters of a given ATSC3 signal from spectrum measurements. Unfortunately I have no means to actually decode the signal to see what is being transmitted.

Linley

mwdxer1
    Participant

That is interesting. Maybe lower power with ASTC 3.0? That is a disappointment as it means the coverage may be even less.

msndrspdx
    Participant

I’d assume that RF 15 will probably carry all the 3.0 signals of all the HC2 channels eventually and perhaps KWVT and its sister stations as well. That would leave KPXG (Ion) and KNMT (TBN) as the only major stations left that haven’t activated 3.0 signals yet. By the way, the Justice Network has been renamed the True Crime Network.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.