New KINK vs old KINK

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Gentle Ben
    Participant

Listening to KINK the other day I reflected on how little it resembles the vibe and sound of KINK’s heyday. Today it’s ratings seems to be down around 3.0 to 4.0 as opposed to the 7.0 it held for some time. Okay so, some people prefer the first Darrin (Dick York), on Bewitched and some like his replacement (Dick Sargent), so one could argue that different isn’t necessarily bad it’s just, well, different. I’m curious if you think the older format infused with jazz and a more consistent sounding air staff would do better today than the current format? Of course the older format would appeal more to the baby-boomers who grew up with KINK than the younger demo the station seems to be targeting today. On paper it would seem that baby–boomers have more disposable income, thus a better return for advertisers. Obviously this is not a scientific poll, but your response has me interested.

motozak3
    Participant

Personally I liked the “jazzy” KINK I used to hear as a kid on my Dad’s radios in the 80s-early 1990s. Don’t know if the older format would hold up to-day, in the long run, but I’d listen.

Let’s just say, in recent years, KINK has lost quite a lot of its “kink”. ;o)

Chico
    Participant

I am sure others here can address other parts of this question, but in terms of advertisers two thoughts come to mind. 1) brand loyalty, and 2) PPM methodology.

Yes, the baby boom generation has a ton of money collectively. But it is perceived that they are past the age of brand experimentation. Which is the point of most advertising- not necessarily to get you to buy more of something, just more of your brand of something. That is why the young’uns are seductive- they still have an opportunity to change some minds there.

PPM has not been kind to many of the more interesting or challenging music formats. It seems to show favor to the formats that tightly play the hits. While arguments could be made towards the methodology, as of today it is what it is. A AAA format getting a 3 or 4? That is GREAT, these days.

W7PAT
    Participant

The one thing I have always liked about KINK is that it has grown as time has gone on. There have been changes but not the radical changes like beautiful music to country. It’s been more of a smooth change with old mixed with new. At first I didn’t like the “jazzy Kink”, it took me along time to get used to that. After the Jazz was gone I kind of missed it. There is some good modern music (Mayor Hawthorne comes to mind) being put out today and KINK seems to play them along with the older music I remember.

KINK is an original and I hope that never changes.

Andy Brown
    Participant

You guys have parsed it out pretty well. All I can add is an old favorite quote:

“”Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.”

~ Bill Cosby

Personally, I think they have gone downhill as Alpha has pursued a course of trying to keep the old audience and draw in a new one. I used to think KINK was effete and boring. I got tired of the same 3 songs from Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt 25 years ago and tuned out then. Their new playlist has some newer safe artists, but it hasn’t swayed me to tune in all that much. No longer effete, but still boring.

CouvMan
    Participant

Old KINK ???? My “Old Kink” is the early 70’s with Bruce Funkhouser, album previews at 10 and the KINKATRON playing late at night on the weekends

semoochie
    Participant

Can you say, “Jeff Douglas”?

jr_tech
    Participant
    CouvMan
    Participant

YES !!! Jeff Douglas

CouvMan
    Participant

has Craig done a history of KINK yet ???

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Sorry, no but KINK did a great deal of research on it’s own history about a year ago. It was on their website. I can’t find it now.

bossjock
    Participant

Craig –

You can get back there with this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090218231037/http://www.kink.fm/History-of-Kink—Overview/3306349

All of the copy is there, but the audio links are dead. If this link doesn’t work for you, I can send .pdfs of those pages.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

A HUGE THANKS TO BOSSJOCK! Always assumed their history would be kept on the KINK website. When I noticed it was gone about six months ago I kicked myself for not making a text copy on paper. Just went in and did so (11 pages). Then thought I should post it here to make it easy on everyone:

____________________________________________________________________________________

HISTORY OF KINK

KINK XL…Kink will be turing 40 on Christmas Day December 25, 2008 and we celebrated for 40 days. Each day we honored the music of a specific year, stepping through the 40 years of Kink day-by-day. Click on the decades below to learn more about the history of KINK.

KINK IS BORN

Christmas Day, 1968, and a time of change was taking place as we prepared to move into the new decade. Man was about to walk on the moon, demonstrations were taking place against our military involvement in Vietnam and Richard Nixon was about to be sworn in as president.

King Broadcasting out of Seattle, owned by Dorothy Bullitt, decided to start an FM radio station called KGW FM in Portland, Oregon where they already owned KGW TV and KGW AM radio.

FM stations in the 1960s were rare and a huge gamble as virtually no one listened to FM radio. However, Mrs. Bullitt , never one to be deterred, hired John David to build KGW FM, an all automated “beautiful music” station. Here’s an early brainstorming memo.

Because FM stations were such a risky investment this new station would only be owned by KING Broadcasting for 3 years and then sold in hopes of making a profit. KING Broadcasting already owned a television station (KGW TV) and an AM radio station (KGW AM) so not much money or energy was put into their soon to be FM station (KGW FM).

John David decided he wanted to do more with this new FM station and play rock ‘n roll rather than “beautiful music”. He also wanted different call letters. Here’s a memo from 1968 discussing which call letters to choose.

John David realized that the only station in the area playing rock was KISN AM and, more importantly, no FM radio station was playing rock. John decided to hire a guy by the name of Jeff Douglas in the fall of 1968 to help format the new station. Jeff Douglas was a 22 year old kid, just out of college with practically no programming or on-air radio experience, but he worked around the clock to get the station its signature sound. The original format was AOR “Album Oriented Rock” and played Top 40 hits. Here’s our first album shipment.

With $350,000 KING Broadcasting purchased a 100,000 wt antenna, office space, mixing board, cart machine and turn tables. Now all this insignificant FM radio station needed was a name.

Jeff Douglas wanted something catchy and easy to say. KINK was the perfect match. It was easy, catchy and closely related to KING Broadcasting’s call letters and not, as some people believe, related the rock group The KINKS. But before KINK could legally be the station call letters, Jeff Douglas had to make sure KINK wasn’t already being used elsewhere. He called the FCC, and unfortunately he received bad news; a shipping company out of California was using those call letters for one of their ships. He decided to call the shipping company in hopes of purchasing the call letters if the shipping company was will to sell. To his delight Jeff discovered the ship using the KINK call letters sank two years prior leaving KINK free and available.

Now that KINK had a name, format, location, equipment and at least one DJ (Jeff Douglas) it was ready to hit the airwaves.

December 25, 1968 at 6:00 a.m. KINK went on the air as KINK The Underground Link at KINK 102 fm. However, as we all know, KINK broadcasts at 101.9. Well, in those days radio dials didn’t have 101.9. They only had 102, so that is why KINK for so many years called itself KINK FM 102. “If we ever said KINK 101.9 fm we got in trouble,” recalls Les Sarnoff.

Pictured above is KINK’s first advertisement, which ran the day before KINK went on the air.

KINK’s studio at that time was all of 2 small rooms or “closets” as Jeff Douglas remembers. A combined total of 460 square feet was all the room KINK was given. This allowed for 2 turn tables and 2 cart machines under the turn tables (pictured right).

For the first year KINK was all automated because there were only 2 people running the entire station – John David and Jeff Douglas. Listen to Jeff’s story of the first day of KINK and how he slept in the women’s bathroom because it was the only place that had a bed.

After the first year KGW AM adopted the same AOR Top 40 hits format and Jeff Douglas decided to take the station in another direction. He started playing folk music with some rock and in his words, “basically made it up” as he went along. Here’s a playlist from October 1969. This approach helped the station differentiate its self from all the other stations. Listen as Jeff Douglas explains this shift.

1969 Jeff Douglas hires Bruce Funkhauser to host the evening shift as Jeff continues to host the morning shift. Soon after that Jeff Douglas becomes the station manager and Bruce becomes KINK’s second Program Director.

Jeff also hires Mike Bailey in 1969. Mike uses the moniker “Lee Nelson” during his first stint at KINK. He would go on to use one more nick name before finally using his own name on-air. Listen as Mike talks about why he used different names on-air.

During this time KINK is “Free Form.” If a DJ liked an artist they played them. Because of this, many artists got their start on KINK over the years. One such artist happened to be the college roommate of KINK Program Director Bruce Funkhauser’s wife. Listen here to find out who that artist was.

The 1960s have come to an end and the dico filled 1970s are not far away. Needing only to survive for 2 more years, the future of KINK is uncertain. John David and Jeff Douglas are working 16 hour days to keep the station afloat and scraping by on literally no budget. Little do they know that in just a few years KINK will develope a following that will help transport this “insignificant” FM station on a beautiful journey through time. Let’s find out what happens next…

In the 1970s Oregonians are fighting to keep nerve gas from being stored in Oregon, the war in Vietnam ends, Arab Oil Embargo began and Gov. McCall initiates the “Odd/Even gas rationing system.” Pink Floyd transports us to the Dark Side of the Moon and Richard Nixon resigns. Hank Aaron breaks Babe Ruth’s home run record, Steve Prefontaine dies at the age of 24, Oregon’s only nuclear power plant Trojan opens and the Portland Trail Blazers defeat the Philidelphia 76ers for their only NBA Championship.

The 1970s are an exciting time for KINK. Jeff Douglas begins a slow process of moving away from automation. Scott Carter, Jack McGowan, M.L. Marsh, Rebecca Webb, and Les Sarnoff start while Mike Bailey leaves. True love is found just next door and Lights Out begins. Jack McGowan creates the second KINK logo as well, which is still used today.

Jeff Douglas grows ever more frustrated with the slogan “The Underground Link” and pushes to have it changed to “True To The Music”. Listen as Jeff Douglas explains how “The Underground Link” was developed and why he disliked the branding so much.

1974 M.L. Marsh becomes Program Director (pictured right circa 1977). That same year Scott Carter is hired to host over nights and soon coins the term “You change positions, we’ll change records.”

Lights Out Begins

In 1974 Lights Out is born. As a fan of jazz and classical music coupled with the easy going directing of Jeff Douglas, the development of Lights Out leads KINK in a new musical direction. Scott Carter, a long haired hippie out of San Francisco approaches Jeff Douglas with the idea of an instrumental show. Jeff says, “let’s give it a try,” and with that Lights Out is born. Listen as Scott talks about his inspiration for Lights Out and the birth of Ocean Sets.

During this time Scott Carter begins a courtship with a young lady that lived in the apartments just next door to KINK. The courtship soon blossomed into full blown love and ultimately ended in marriage. Listen as Scott talks about how he met his wife.

New KINK Logo

In 1975 Marketing/Promotions Director Jack McGowan decides it’s time to update the KINK logo to a more contemporary look. The original logo utilizes block lettering with a mountain and a bird in the background, and according to Jack was too “60s.” Listen as Jack talks about how the new logo was developed.

1976 Mike Bailey returnes to KINK as the Program Director. Mike uses the name “Bob Marx” this time. Jerry Chan also starts as KINK’s Public Relations Director.

INSPIRATION FOR ‘SHORT PEOPLE’

That same year Randy Newman stops by the station to play live on the air. Little does he know that only moments later he would find the inspiration for his hit song “Short People.” The story goes like this; as Randy was making his way out of the building he rounded a corner in the KINK hallway and ran into a woman from KGW. The woman, although not very tall, electrified Randy. Their eyes met and sparks flew. The next day this woman resigned from KGW stating that she was “going on tour with Randy Newman” and wouldn’t be back. 8 months later, their romance was over and Randy wrote a song called “Short People” about that woman and their turbulent break up.

In 1977 Carl Widing starts as an unpaid jazz music assistant. It would be almost 10 years before Carl becomes KINK’s Program Director.

Also in 1977 Scott Carter decides to head to L.A. to work in film. In just three years, Lights Out has developed a loyal following. The fans demand a going away party for Scott. Scott decides to get a permit for Delta Park and instructs listeners to bring food for a potluck. Scott anticipates that just a handful of listeners will actually show up but is astonished when hundreds make the journey, some traveling from over one hundred miles away. Listen as Scott and Jack McGowan talk about that party and what it meant to them and KINK.

LES SARNOFF ARRIVES

In 1977 the search begins for Scott Carter’s replacement. A skinny theater lover named Les Sarnoff is hired as KINK’s Music Director and evening host thus beginning his nearly thirty year tenure at KINK.

Mike Bailey believes that Les is best suited for the job, but Les’s first day doesn’t go so smoothly. Listen as Mike talks about Les’s first day and how it almost cost Les his job.

Only two days after learning a lesson about which songs should be played on KINK, Mike Bailey is forced to teach Les how to do a proper Ocean Set only hours before Lights Out is set to start. Having never heard Lights Out or knowing what an Ocean Set was, Les figures it is simply playing the sounds of the ocean for an hour. Not once thinking that music should be playing over the sounds of the Ocean. Well, luckily Mike Bailey is there again to help the young Les Sarnoff. Listen as Les reflects on that moment.

THE GOOD OLD DAYS

During KINK’s early years, “we were really underground – we weren’t mainstream,” Sarnoff says. The station used to play entire albums but had to stop because listeners were taping entire LPs off the broadcasts, and record companies weren’t happy. Still, it wasn’t until the late 1970s when most people started connecting to FM radio, Sarnoff recalls. There weren’t many listeners at first, “but they were loyal,” he says. And their numbers kept growing.”

During that time the microphones that the DJ’s used were powered by 2 triple A batteries – and as we all know – batteries are prone to wearing out only when you need them most. Well, this was true, especially for DJ’s back in those days. Listen as Les Sarnoff talks about how frustrating the studio microphone was.

1978 KINK turns 10!

Rebecca Webb begins her first of three stints at KINK as News Director. Rebecca is also KINK’s first full time news person. Listen as she explains her approach to getting the news to the listeners.

It would be nearly another decade before Rebecca Webb and Les Sarnoff will be conducting the Morning Show together, a partnership that will last almost 10 years.

Towards the end of 1978 Jeff Douglas steps down as KINK’s station manager and starts working for KGW in programming. Ron Sado takes over and shortly after KINK’s staff jumps from 7 to 21 in a matter of months.

Jeff Clarke also starts in 1978, while Jack McGowan leaves. (Jeff Clarke pictured circa 1988)

The KINK Primate Test

Around this time KINK starts to develop a series of television commercials called “The KINK Primate Test” staring a gorilla, “The KINK Memory Test” staring an elephant and “The KINK Vegetable Test” staring a tomato. These three commercials will be aired at the start of the comming decade along with a number of other unique KINK TV commercials. Interestingly enough, the costumed gorilla in “The KINK Primate Test” is a Hollywood professional who played a gorilla in countless TV and Movie productions. He didn’t come cheaply! Watch the commercials in the player on the top-right of the page.

A “KINK Primate Test” home version is mailed out to listeners in the Portland area as well and comes complete with 7” vinyl record, instruction manual and comment card.

Listen to the Home Version (below) and think back to that day when you took the KINK Primate Test. If you have never taken the KINK Primate test, click here for the instructions and initiate the test in the comfort of your own home.

KILLING THE AUTOMATION BEAST

During that year Les is fed up with the automation system (pictured to the right) and took matters into his own hands to once and for all put an end to KINK’s era of automation. However, killing the automation beast isn’t as easy as it seems. Listen to Les talk about his attempt at sabotaging the automation system.

To further understand how frustrating and comical the automation system was during this time, listen to Mike Bailey explain the “Phantom News Cast” that lasted for months in 1976, and why people were getting snow forecasts in July.

As the 1970s come to a close KINK finds itself in a transitional phase. A new studio is in the works and the rumors of digital music in the form of something called a “compact disc” begin to circulate. By this time KINK has completely moved away from automation and live jocks are on-air 24 hours a day.

In the 1980s Mt. St. Helens erupts, John Lennon is murdered outside of his apartment, Portland’s own Quarter Flash releases their platinum debut album, Tom McCall passes away, The Challenger Space Shuttle blows up and Ronald Regan becomes president.

1980 brings the completion of KINK’s new studios and an increased work space of approximately 3,000 square feet (from 460 square feet!). The new facilities include three newly equipped functional studios. These studios are still used today.

KINK participates in Stand Up For Your Zoo, a benefit for the Washington Park Zoo (now the Oregon Zoo), with items such as an Elton John tour jacket, a life size Gilda Radner stand up and an autographed lithograph of Heart’s Wilson sisters. To promote the event KINK creates a commercial starring Les Sarnoff. View it in the player to the right.

Mike Bailey leaves KINK and Bill Minckler takes over as Program Director. Alan Lawson, Ron Allen and Bill St. James also start.

KINK creats some low-budget commercials starring KINK DJs Les Sarnoff, Bill St. James, Jeff Clarke, Ron Allen, Alan Lawson and Mitch Dahline. View them in the player to the right.

1981 Les Sarnoff leaves KINK and is replaced by Rusty Kimble.

1982 Stan Mak starts as KINK’s General Manager, Rick Scott takes over as Program Director, Alan Wolfe and Cindy Hanson start on-air and Sean Marten starts part-time on the weekends.

HELP, I CAN’T GET IN!

Of course there were plenty of mishaps over the years. Listen as Sean Martin and Les Sarnoff recall locking themselves out of the studio during their shifts.

1983 KINK becomes the first radio station on the west coast to play Compact Discs. Cindy Hanson recalls that time and how strange and difficult it was to say “Compact Digital Discs.” Listen as she talks about that historic shift in radio and music.

Also in 1983, KGW TV approaches KINK with an idea to produce a television/radio simulcast called Saturday Night KINK (view it in the player to the right). The idea being that on 3 consecutive Saturdays at 6pm KGW TV would air music videos and at the same time KINK would air the music to those videos. People would then mute the television and listen to the much better sound quality on the radio. Cindy Hanson hosts this feature and talks about what it was like to be a local VJ.

In 1983 KINK creates a commercial titled “Alaska.” View it in the player to the right.

Jeff Clarke and Alan Lawson leave in 1983 and Charlie Bush takes over mornings for a short time. Mike Bailey returns for his final stint at KINK.

Lights Out I is Released

In 1985 KINK releases Lights Out I and becomes one of the first, if not the first, station in the country to release a beneficiary album. Lights Out I features artists like Tom Grant and Kenny G and is distributed on vinyl only. Manufactured in (West) Germany, the record raises $20,000 with all the proceeds going to the Oregon Food Bank, at the time called Portland’s Interagency Food Bank.

Music Millennium distributes Lights Out I, and still considers that record as one of the biggest selling albums in the history of the store. Listen as Music Millennium owner Terry Currier talks about the release of Lights Out I.

In 1985 Carl Widing becomes Program Director and Tom Neumann takes over evenings. Martha Nielsen begins as Marketing Director.

During 1985 KINK releases four more commercials titled “Beach,” “Swing,” “Ear” and “Tub.” View them in the player at the top of the page.

1986 Mike Bailey leaves KINK for the last time while Les Sarnoff and Rebecca Webb return to host the morning show. Listen as Rebecca talks about why she returned.

KINK also creates a commercial called “Games” reiterating the fact that KINK doesn’t play games when it comes to the music. View it in the player at the top of the page.

1987 Paul Clithero replaces Stan Mak as KINK’s General Manager.

1987 KINK aires commercials starring Cal Scott, Calvin Walker, George Benson, Kenny G, Rindy Ross and Tom Grant. View them in the player at the top of the page.

1988 KINK turns 20!

To celebrate, KINK releases Lights Out II. That same year Jeff Clarke returns, Sean Marten replaces Tom Neumann in the evenings and U of O track star Leann Warren starts at KINK as host of the over night shift and weekends.

Lights Out II is released on vinyl, cassette tape and compact disc. KINK presents the Oregon food bank with $70,000 from the sales of “Lights Out 2” – one of the largest single donations ever to have been received by the Oregon Food Bank.

“Listeners were eager for the release of ‘Lights Out 2’ due to the success of the first recording,” recalls Martha Nielsen. Following its release in October of 1988, “Lights Out 2” was the number one selling recording in the Portland Area during the holiday season, the heaviest new recording release time of the year. “The success of the second recording was even greater than the first.” – Martha Nielsen

1988 KINK produces three commercials titled “Bagels,” “Jail” and “Night Watchman.” View them in the player at the top of the page.

1989 Rebecca Webb leaves KINK.

In 1989 KINK releases three more commercials starring KINK artists Karla Bonoff, Randy Newman and Robert Cray.

As the 1980s draw to a close, a new decade looms. In the coming years KINK will be bought and sold multiple times while familiar voices fade and new voices heard. What’s the next step for KINK? Let’s find out

The 1990s are a turbulent time for KINK. New owners and a new program director take over. KINK Live begins along with the birth of the KINK Live Performance Lounge.

1990 Lacy Turner joins the KINK team in 1990 as mid-day host.

In 1990 KINK artists Curtis Salgado and Robert Cray contribute to a couple of TV commericals for KINK. View them in the player to the right and check out Curtis’ hair!

In 1991 Mike Rich starts as Morning Show co-host along side Les Sarnoff. Mike Rich will go on to write movie scripts such as Finding Forester and The Nativity Story.

That same year KINK releases Lights Out III on CD and cassette. Lights Out III raises $176,000 for Oregon Food Bank – the largest single corporate donation ever received by Oregon Food Bank.

“It’s phenomenal how fast Lights Out III has moved. Our goal was too raise $150,000 for Oregon Food Bank from this one recording, and we’re thrilled we met and surpassed our goal in just 4 months.” – Carl Widing (Program Director). The $176,000 donation translated into a 3-5 day supply of emergency food for 60,000 families.

In 1991 KINK artist David Sanborne stars in a KINK TV commercial. View it in the player to the right.

In 1992 KING Broadcasting sells KINK fm 102 to Embarcadero Media for 11 Million Dollars.

Also in 1992 KINK releases three commercials starring Bruce Cockburn, Grover Washington and Kenny Logins. View them in the player to the right.

On December 25, 1993 Lights Out IV is released on CD and cassette to celebrate KINK’s 25th year of being “True to the Music.” Lights Out IV raises over $300,000 for the Oregon Food Bank.

In 1994 KINK creates a couple of television ads starring robots made from radio parts. View them in the player to the right.

Lights Out V debuts on November 6, 1995 at 8pm on KINK’s Album Review Program and is played in its entirety.

1995 KINK produces three more TV commercials using the music from different KINK artists. View them in the player at the top of the page.

On October 1, 1996 KINK is sold by Embarcadero Media to EXCL Communications a California based Spanish language broadcasting company.

That same year KINK becomes the first radio station in Portland to go “On-Line” as http://www.kinkfm102.com with David Schult as KINK’s first webmaster. Click here to see what our first webpage looked like. We have come a long way since those days. Sean Marten remembers discussing this new thing called “the internet” with David Schult. Listen as Sean remembers back.

Also in 1996 Cindy Hanson comes back to KINK to replace Lacy Turner, as Lacy travels the globe.

EXCL Communications sells KINK to American Radio Systems. Then, on Friday, September 19, 1997 American Radio Systems sells KINK to Westinghouse Electric Corporation. Westinghouse Electric also owns CBS Radio. This sale is a direct result of the F.C.C. deregulation of the broadcast industry, which makes it possible for one company to own up to eight radio stations in Portland.

Dennis Constantine joins KINK in 1997 replacing Carl Widing as Program Director. Dennis comes from KBCO in Denver. Dennis is pictured right with KINK on-air staff circa 1997.

Dennis hires B.A. (Bob Ancheta) in 1997 and starts KINK’s Sunday Night Blues Show replacing the long running Sunday Night Jazz Show.

In 1997 the KINK Live Performance Lounge is born. Originally bands played in KINK’s Studio A, a small room with no audience. Soon after, the KINK LPL was formed with musicians performing in front of a live audience in KGW’s atrium down the hall from KINK. In 2000 the LPL, with Volkswagen as the original sponsor, is moved to its current location at KINK. The space is previously occupied by KTOK 620 AM.

Admist all the craziness of 1997 KINK releases Lights Out VI.

1998 KINK turns 30!

To celebrate KINK releases KINK Live 1 on CD. This CD is put together with live recordings from artists that played at KINK. All proceeds from KINK Live benefit the Portland Public Schools Foundation, a non-profit independent advocate for public schools. Money raised from KINK Live was targeted specifically to fund music programs, enabling local schools as a means of offering quality music education to more students. KINK holds a concert at Pioneer Courthouse Square to celebrate the release of KINK Live 1.

In 1998 KINK also launches its first Holiday Benefit Concert to benefit the Oregon Food Bank.

Candace Gonzales takes over as Marketing Director and Lacy Turner returns from her journeys as Public Relations and Webmaster.

Also in 1998, KINK produces the “Don’t Wanna Grow Up” campaign starring KINK artists Bruce Hornsby, Craig Corothers, Jann Arden, Jonatha Brooke and McKinley. View them in the player at the top of the page.

Denny Dent comes to Portland in 1999 for the Portland Art Fair. While here he paints a picture for KINK that, to this day, still hangs in the KINK Live Performance Lounge (pictured right).

*If you don’t know who Denny Dent is watch his story in the player at the top of the page. He was a brilliant artist who left us too soon.

In 1999 KINK Live 2 is released. The success of KINK Live I made it clear that there was a demand for KINK to share the unique musical events that occur on our airwaves. All proceeds were donated to the Portland Public Schools Foundation/First Octave. First Octave used the funds raised to finance critically needed music programs that were cut from school budgets. KINK holds a concert at Pioneer Courthouse Square to celebrate the release of KINK Live 2.

That same year Lights Out VII is released.

Also in 1999 KINK hosts a 30th Anniversary Concert featuring Chris Isaak, Sonia Dada, Jonatha Brooke, Neil Finn and Shawn Mullins.

With the end of 1999 comes the end of a millenium. 9/11 is only a couple years away, Global Warming becomes a hot topic and war will rage in the Middle East. America will soon find itself in the midst of a recession and gas will reach $4 or more. What is in store for KINK? Let’s find out…

A new millennium begins!

In 2000 long time afternoon host Jeff Clarke leaves KINK. Clarke is replaced by Dave Scott who came to KINK from Earth 105. Mike Rich also leaves and KINK Music Director Kevin Welch fills in with Les Sarnoff in the mornings.

Around this time over night host Leann Warren slowly begins the transformation from on-air personality to KINK Webmaster. Donna Negus is hired as Leann’s replacement.

2000 also brought with it KINK’s first station vehicle…a Land Rover.

KINK Live 3 is released in 2000. KINK Live 3 helped to raise funds for the Oregon Children’s Foundation’s “Start Making A Reader Today” Program. The mission of SMART is to enhance the reading skills, attitudes and life prospects of children who need assistance. KINK holds a concert at Pioneer Courthouse Square to celebrate the release of KINK Live 3.

The 2000 KINK Holiday Concert takes place featuring Shawn Mullins, Aimee Mann and Pat McGee Band. Procedes benefit the Oregon Food Bank.

In 2001 KINK releases KINK Live 4 to benefit the Oregon Children’s Foundation Start Making A Reader Today program. KINK holds a concert at Pioneer Courthouse Square to celebrate the release of KINK Live 4.

Mid-day host Cindy Hanson (pictured right) departs on January 19, 2001 for a “relaxing” lifestyle on the Oregon Pacific Coast and is replaced by Inessa.

Sheila Hamilton starts as Morning Show co-host with Les Sarnoff.

The 2001 KINK Holiday Concert takes place. Procedes benefit the Oregon Food Bank.

Steve Pringle joins KINK in 2002.

KINK gets its second station vehicle…a Volkswagen Euro Van in 2002. The Euro Van replaces the Land Rover.

That same year KINK releases Lights Out VIII. This year KINK and Boyd Coffee Company donate $20,000 to the Oregon Food Bank.

KINK Live 5 is also released in 2002. KINK, Volkswagen and Starbucks Coffee Company donate $20,000 to SMART. KINK holds a concert at Pioneer Courthouse Square to celebrate the release of KINK Live 5.

In 2002 KINK also releases Blues from The Waterfront. A compilation CD highlighing the past 15 years of the Blues Festival. This CD benefits the Oregon Food Bank.

The 2002 KINK Holiday Concert takes place featuring Willy Porter, Blink Boys of Alabama and Delbert McClinton. Procedes benefit the Oregon Food Bank.

Rebecca Webb comes back to KINK in 2003 and is reunited with Les Sarnoff in the mornings. Sheila moves to afternoons with Dave Scott.

KINK Live 6 is released in 2003 and KINK, Volkswagen and Starbucks donate $20,000 to SMART. KINK holds a concert at Pioneer Courthouse Square to celebrate the release of KINK Live 6.

The 2003 KINK Holiday Concert takes place featuring Barenaked Ladies, Stereophonics, The Mavericks and Sarah McLachlan. Procedes benefit the Oregon Food Bank.

In 2004 KINK Live 7 is released. KINK, Volkswagen and Starbucks donate $20,000 to SMART. KINK holds a concert at Pioneer Courthouse Square to celebrate the release of KINK Live 7 with musical guests Five for Fighting, Tears for Fears and Amelia.

In 2004 KINK picks up its third station vehicle…a Volkswagen Touareg. The Touareg replaces the Volkswagen Euro Van.

The 2004 KINK Holiday Concert takes place featuring John Fogerty, Rickie Lee Jones and Low Millions. Procedes benefit the Oregon Food Bank.

Lights Out IX is released in 2005. Net proceeds from the sale of this CD benefit the Oregon Food Bank. This year KINK and Boyd Coffee Company donate $15,000 to the Oregon Food Bank.

KINK Live 8 is also released in 2005 and KINK, Volkswagen and Starbucks donate $25,000 to SMART. KINK holds a concert at Pioneer Courthouse Square to celebrate the release of KINK Live 8 with musical quests Blue Merle, Ringside and Ryehollow.

The 2005 KINK Holiday Concert takes place. Procedes benefit the Oregon Food Bank.

2006 KINK fm 102 is renamed KINK.fm becoming the first station in Portland or possibly the country to call themselves by their URL.

2006 also brings KINK its first mascot…Scout (pictured right).

In 2006 KINK releases KINK Live 9. KINK, Volkswagen and Starbucks donate $25,000 to SMART.

KINK also releases Lights Out X to benefit the Oregon Food Bank.

The 2006 KINK Holiday Concert takes place featuring Feist, Jonny Lang, Mindy Smith and Nu Shooz. Procedes benefit the Oregon Food Bank.

Scott Alexander is hired to host Sunday Morning Acoustic Sunrise and changes the name to Sunday Morning Acoustic Kink. Scott also works Saturday mid days.

In 2007 Inessa becomes the morning show producer and Steve Pringle takes over as mid-day host.

KINK also releases its latest commercials. View them in the player to the right.

That same year the KINK Green Room is built, and KINK releases KINK Live 10 donating $25,000 to SMART along with Volkswagen and Starbucks.

In 2007 Dean Kattari replaces Kevin Welch as Music Director.

The 2007 KINK Holiday Concert takes place featuring Ingrid Michaelson, Brandi Carlile, KT Tunstall, David Gray and Collective Soul. Procedes benefit the Oregon Food Bank.

In 2008 KINK turns 40!!

Dave Scott and Sheila Hamilton move to the Morning Show and Les moves to Afternoons.

Morning Show of the Year

The Oregon Association of Broadcasters (OAB) awarded KINK FM’s Dave and Sheila the Portland Metro Area’s 2008 Morning Show of the Year.

Dave Scott, Sheila Hamilton, and their morning show producer Inessa were honored by fellow broadcasters with the award, which was judged on the criteria of originality, humor, attention to performance value, and the station’s involvement with the community.

KINK FM’s morning show is the inaugural winner of this category, as it is the first year the OAB has included this award in their Annual Fall Conference ceremony.

Morning show producer Inessa observes, “Dave and Sheila have the most amazing energy together. He’s the total grounded, all around guy and wanna-be drummer, and Sheila easily goes between a cocktail dress and running her favorite Forest Park trails. Together, they make the perfect Portland on-air couple. Part of their successful formula is that what you hear is really who they are – compassionate, genuine and totally adorable.”

“All of us at KINK are thrilled about this award for Dave and Sheila,” says program director Dennis Constantine. “It was only earlier this year that they swapped time periods with KINK’s long time morning favorite Les Sarnoff. They’ve taken the baton and have run it to new heights of excellence. Dave and Sheila create the perfect mood to start off the day for Portland and for KINK listeners. I look forward to hearing what they will do next!”

Plug in Portland: Local Music CD Sampler

Plug in Portland: Local Music CD Sampler is released. Created by KINK Music Director Dean Kattari and Beth Clyman, host of the Local Music Spotlight. Read below as both Dean and Bethh reflect on this CD.

“In February of 2008, KINK invited listeners to nominate and vote for their favorite local bands. The response was overwhelming, and 4 months later, the top 20 bands were featured on KINK’s Plug In Portland Local Music CD Sampler. This was a fantastic opportunity for KINK to learn about the huge scope of local music available here in Portland. It was also a chance for the bands to gain exposure. All the bands were invited in to the station to play the KINK Live Performance Lounge, they were featured for several nights on the Local Music Spotlight, and many played Noon Tunes, The Bridgeport Village Concert Series and The Portland Spirit Early Escape Cruise. A good time was had by all and the CD Sampler is stellar.” – Beth Clyman

“I think Portland is an amazing music town and KINK.FM reflects this creative crucible. We had the Kink Community nominate their favorites and we just took the top twenty and asked them if they wanted to be on our new Plug-In Portland Sampler. Not surprisingly, they all wanted to plug in.

Beth had all the musicians come in so we could record special live versions of their songs for the Local Music Spotlight, and we booked them into the our summer music events: Noon Tunes, Bridgeport Village’s concert series, and the Portland Spirit Friday Escape Cruises.

I think it’s an amazing collection of music, and I’ve been sending it off to other music directors around the country – we’re very proud to be part of the Portland music scene and we hope to do this again next year!” – Dean Kattari

The summer of 2008 also included the addition of KINK’s fourth station vehicle…a Land Rover. This Land Rover was used to promote the release of KINK’s Local CD “Plug In Portland” and was returned at the end of the summer.

“Old School” Ticket Sale

The 2008 KINK Holiday Benefit Concert tickets were sold the “old school” way at Music Millennium. Marketing/Promotions Director Candace Gonzales tells the tale of this exciting day.

Over 200 KINK.FM listeners amazed us this morning by going “old school” and lining up at the crack of dawn to buy tickets to the Holiday Benefit Concert and Auction. Thanks to Rachel and Chelsea for entertaining them with Krispy Kremes, Starbucks Coffee, goofy pictures and music while they patiently waited for Music Millennium to open.

When the doors opened the listeners were cued up Disney style through the store so they had things to look at while they waited. The store staff was professional and helpful to make sure the experience was positive.

Dave and Sheila finished the Morning Show on high note zipping down to the store for the live broadcast. The engineers set them up perfectly next to the registers where they could chat it up with our guests. It was a great way to start sharing our 40th Anniversary.

Thanks to everyone that joined us this morning and helped out! Especially the listener that played the practical joke on me and Dennis by calling the studio and telling Dave 1,000 people were in line and the police were on the scene wanting to know how the crowd was controlled and where the porta potties were. Yeah, real funny at 6am.

KINK Live 11 is also released in 2008. KINK, Volkswagen and Starbucks donate $20,000 to SMART

KINK’s First Town Hall

On Election Day November 4, 2008 KINK held its first Town Hall Meeting. The KINK Morning Show with Dave and Sheila invited KINK listeners into the KINK Live Performance Lounge for an open-house Election Day Town Hall with appearances by Brett Dennen, Matt Zaffino, Sec. of State Bill Bradbury, Senator Gordon Smith and Jefferson Smith-Bus Project.

Here’s to another 40 years!

KINK thanks all the loyal listeners we’ve had over the years. We couldn’t have done it wouthout you. Thanks again and see ya at the 50th.

MarkAndrews
    Participant

Congrats to KINK and their evolution to remain uniquely “Portland”…but I still miss “Lights Out”…it was definitely one-of-a-kind…

PianoMan
    Participant

Great history lesson, though I’m quite certain KBOO was using a .fm URL by 2004, beating KINK by at least two years. Surely there were dozens if not hundreds of such stations around the country by 2006. KINK may have been the first Portland-market commercial station to use it, though.

Does anyone know what David Schult is doing these days?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.