New Iran conflict a deflection of impeachment?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things New Iran conflict a deflection of impeachment?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

That’s not all of it, either.

drumpf criticized Obama and tweeted some years back that Obama would start a war with Iran to help his reelection campaign.

But forget that. Here’s the real meat. And if you think presidential elections are all about the economy and you think the economy is strong right now, better think again.

The Republicans have driven the deficit up two trillion dollars in just three years (after so heavily criticizing Obama for driving the deficit up) but GOP sleaze ball Larry Krudlow tried to sell the notion that it’s about the deficit in relation to the GDP. “In other words, to me, the measure is not, what is the deficit or this or that. It’s as a share of GDP. That’s your burden on the economy. And I would argue that it is and will continue to come down as a burden on the economy” said Krudlow. But here’s the catch. The ratio of debt-to-GDP has also increased, something that’s unusual in a strong economy. In June 2018, the Congressional Budget Office said in a report that the level of debt as a share of GDP had reached its highest levels since World War II.

Michael Peterson, CEO of the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, a fiscal policy think tank, said Tuesday’s milestone is only “the latest sign that our fiscal situation is not only unsustainable, but accelerating.”

“Our growing national debt matters because it threatens the economic future of every American,” Peterson said in a statement. “As we borrow trillion after trillion, interest costs will weigh on our economy and make it harder to fund important investments for our future … In order to build the strong and stable future that we want for America, we must put our fiscal house in order and begin to manage our national debt.”

Eventually the MOR voters are going to wake up to the film flam tax breaks dished out by the GOP to the big companies and wealthiest individuals are not only providing next to nothing for most folks, but it is deteriorating the economy in ways that will take years to fix.

So yeah, drumpf gave the green light to take out an Iranian leader. I say let’s give Iran our leader and call it even. Win win.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-national-debt-tops-22-trillion-for-first-time-in-history/?fbclid=IwAR0o4Bd7b2wfvaMELmOasBFcGqGVAYUG8DAQyAyfO4gJCj8Y41VmJ92Ifc0

Andy Brown
    Participant

But there’s more.

drumpf criticized Obama and tweeted some years back that Obama would start a war with Iran to help his reelection campaign.

But forget that. Here’s the real meat. And if you think presidential elections are all about the economy and you think the economy is strong right now, better think again.

The Republicans have driven the deficit up two trillion dollars in just three years (after so heavily criticizing Obama for driving the deficit up) but GOP sleaze ball Larry Krudlow tried to sell the notion that it’s about the deficit in relation to the GDP. “In other words, to me, the measure is not, what is the deficit or this or that. It’s as a share of GDP. That’s your burden on the economy. And I would argue that it is and will continue to come down as a burden on the economy” said Krudlow. But here’s the catch. The ratio of debt-to-GDP has also increased, something that’s unusual in a strong economy. In June 2018, the Congressional Budget Office said in a report that the level of debt as a share of GDP had reached its highest levels since World War II.

Michael Peterson, CEO of the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, a fiscal policy think tank, said Tuesday’s milestone is only “the latest sign that our fiscal situation is not only unsustainable, but accelerating.”

“Our growing national debt matters because it threatens the economic future of every American,” Peterson said in a statement. “As we borrow trillion after trillion, interest costs will weigh on our economy and make it harder to fund important investments for our future … In order to build the strong and stable future that we want for America, we must put our fiscal house in order and begin to manage our national debt.”

Eventually the MOR voters are going to wake up to the film flam tax breaks dished out by the GOP to the big companies and wealthiest individuals are not only providing next to nothing for most folks, but it is deteriorating the economy in ways that will take years to fix.

So yeah, drumpf gave the green light to take out an Iranian leader. I say let’s give Iran our leader and call it even. Win win.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-national-debt-tops-22-trillion-for-first-time-in-history/?fbclid=IwAR0o4Bd7b2wfvaMELmOasBFcGqGVAYUG8DAQyAyfO4gJCj8Y41VmJ92Ifc0

missing_kskd
    Participant

Someone brought up a good point today:

The pro war types may already overlap Trump base voters. We may actually gain, given a very strong, clear, anti war message.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Trump is bat shit nuts beyond what anyone ever thought he would be.

I knew this. KSKD’s troops were willing to bet. Well, they lost big time.

semoochie
    Participant

One reason that Pelosi hasn’t turned over the articles of impeachment is that the House expects there to be more articles of impeachment! This latest bit about the emails could very well turn into more proof of Trump’s actions.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yeah Vitalogy, you and yours bet too, and continue to.

Do you realize that? Probably not.

Fact is, way too many people to ignore are not down with the same politics that got us Trump.

So far, all you have done is judge, fear, blame and shame.

As if!

Your outlook on things, what is worth what is not special.

My point all along is very large and growing numbers of people can, will and have evaluated things differently.

Now here we are.

Unless we, and I mean people generally, can have a better conversation, maybe agree on some better priorities, none of this will end well.

You are not helping at all. Instead judging in a very selfish, toxic way toward people distressed enough to be a real problem.

And in a democracy sense, they get to do that, and will.

My first response is how can we do things differently, bring the pain level down some, get along.

Yours? Fuck them.

Vitalogy
    Participant

You’re projecting now.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Not at all.

Given the dynamics, that’s the truth.

Today, the numbers are considerably larger too.

We all know Trump is a bad guy. Carnival barker in chief could have just started a war and doesn’t even really understand who he just ordered assassinated, and why it matters. And that’s precisely what happened too. If you ask me, I think the war mongers know damn well they’ve got a chump in office with an ego the size of a planet and a rap sheet long enough to wrap around one.

All they have to do is sell it as a win win for the carnival barker and he’s IN. Bet you a cookie that kind of thing ends up coming out at some point in the future.

All done?

In our name, whacking other nations leaders. Not good. Then again, Trump isn’t the only one is he? Definitely not the only one. For the record, Clinton is a solid hawk. Way smarter about it, but no less deadly. There are many others to discuss. I won’t. Morbid. The anti-war and anti-lie people, of whom I am a solid member, hate this ongoing, endless shit. Tons of young people dead, maimed, and when they come back?

Left to rot more than they are taken care of. Unless we can slap a prosthetic on them and send ’em right back out.

And the Dems who voted for authorization? Touchy subject there, isn’t it? Lots of them did. Not popular. Any wonder why?

Pelosi held those articles too. Now? Awkward. I hear they are going to prepare more. JFC! Idiots. Remember when I said the longer she holds the weaker the case gets?

Oops.

If she does decide to go for another round of articles, that will be a total admission this set lack merit. Won’t even matter if they do.

The next set had better be rock solid, and aimed right at the more ugly things Trump is doing, the easy ones, or it’s more fun ‘n games, weak sauce that McConnell will frame away all too easy. She will have deserved that too, despite the fact that most of the nation wants this guy gone.

My point with all that?

The votes are absolutely not a lock. Our house is not clean. The fight isn’t even there on many fronts, and in the view of people living in many places. Too many to ignore. Yet that’s precisely what the party establishment plans on doing.

Not anywhere near clean enough either to make that “blue no matter who, because Trump and the GOP are bad people” argument stick with authority.

Fact. I don’t like it. I know you don’t like it.

And fact is, votes cannot be expected because Trump is a bad guy. We’ve voted to fund his damn wall!! It’s in one of the recent bills.

Pretty much didn’t get in the way of the extra war funding. Gave him more than he asked for too. And look what happened right out of the gate!

The core of “lesser evil”, in that being better or good sense, centers on virtue, and it centers on the perception of better or worse too.

It’s super hard to make a virtue argument when only a handful of Dems bothered to think this stuff through, when we’ve got big numbers helping the idiot in chief along!

Both Wyden and Merkley did think the authorization through BTW. Good on them.

But that’s Oregon. We run fairly well as a Dem State. We can expect the votes here, and will get them because the GOP is absolutely worse. People have stuff to lose and they know it. And what they’ve got isn’t all that bad.

Fair call, but the nation isn’t Oregon is it?

Of course not, and that’s why I’m saying what I am saying. I’ve been all over the nation and overseas recently. This little pocket of niceness is totally not the norm.

In many other places those differences are not stark. Dems just don’t have what they have here. Not at all. And we’ve got calls to go further right? All that will do, in the more shitty places, is send more people home.

Votes won’t be expected. Can’t be, realistically. Doesn’t matter as much. Trust isn’t there. Performance isn’t there.

And to get those votes?

Gotta put a compelling vision out there. Give people a reason to step in again, jaded or not, tired or not.

Fear, blame and shame won’t get this done. “Trump is a bad guy” won’t get this done. “It’s your fault” won’t get this done either.

All of that is precisely why I say your response is, “Fuck them.”

It’s all you’ve done. Won’t help. But probably feels pretty good.

When I used to do it with you, on social issues (and I may again, who knows), it felt pretty damn good. Totally get it.

But, now it’s time to step up economically, or we are extremely likely to lose on that social progress. I don’t want that.

Nobody here, save maybe Herb and Broadway and our FnB friend does.

Not projection at all. Just brutally honest talk. Just the way I like to do it.

No harm, no foul. Say what you want. I’m going to. This is all a conversation totally worth having. Necessary. The party absolutely needs a challenge from the left. That’s happening.

😀

It’s not enough to just want the Dem, because GOP bad. WHY do you want the Dem, and how does that benefit the people you would like to see vote for the Dem?

Answers to that question need to be good. And they need to be good where the voters are, not just from any of our armchairs.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Do you think anyone here reads your miles long diatribe?

No thanks!

Seriously, you used to be considered a valued poster. At this point you’re nothing more than F&B but on the other side of the turd.

Not one poster here agrees with you. Not one. Zero. That’s because you’ve become fringe.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Hardly. I’ll add, “attempt to associate with other people” to the list of ineffective rebuttals you have delivered my way.

It’s getting to be quite the list!

Remember, for fringe to carry any weight, you gotta supply some data. Got any?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine has introduced a war powers resolution to cease hostilities with Iran until military actions are approved by Congress.

After 10 days, Kaine can force a vote on his motion in the Senate, which cannot be blocked by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Kaine’s move comes after President Donald Trump authorized the killing of Iranian military leader Qassem Soleimani Thursday in Iraq, and amid expectations of retaliation by Iran.

“The question of whether United States forces should be engaged in armed conflict against Iran should only be made following a full briefing to Congress and the American public of the issues at stake, a public debate in Congress, and a congressional vote as contemplated by the Constitution,” states the resolution.

If passed, Kaine’s resolution would direct Trump to remove US forces “from hostilities against the Islamic Republic of Iran or any part of its government or military” within 30 days, unless Congress acts to authorize military action.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/paulmcleod/trump-iran-war-powers-congress-tim-kaine-vote

This may or may not prove to be pivotal in forcing some GOP faithful in the Senate to break from drumpf. Only a few needed to pass, but after drumpf’s veto you’d need the larger amount, like in a conviction on the impeachment charges, to override. Unlikely.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Good. That’s an interesting point of leverage. It’s gonna resonate with a lot of war tired people.

As far as I am concerned, he’s got firm standing. War may already be brewing.

On that front, anyone looking to check our massive military intervention is welcome. We have and continue to make an awful lot of enemies. That will all come home to bite us in the end, unless we reconsider and present different behavior to the rest of the world.

Andy Brown
    Participant

It’s too late to reconsider. Three years of international policy chaos under drumpf has changed the entire scope of this country’s reputation and reliability both in terms of world security and also in trade.

With likely Republican Senate control in 2020, no Democratic President will be able to do much of anything through legislation. Undoing drumpf’s executive orders will take minutes to overturn on paper, but the changes are in the system and will take two years to fix in reality. The midterms in ’22 will be the forum on whether the country is on a better course or will the D’s lose the house again (assuming they retain it in ’20).

Forget Sanders. He’s too left and too much of an idealist. Candidates that keep talking about what they’re going to do worked six months ago, not anymore. Now it’s about what happens if I win and face a hostile Senate that won’t pass anything. No one is saying much about that. I’m beginning to lose hope that the Senate control will change. The best I can see happening is a Democrat in The White House (it will be Biden, his recent surge in Iowa shows the early signs of the serious lead he has nationwide) and Moscow Mitch beaten in his home state, so another GOP dumb fuck will be in charge.

At least the rape of the judicial system will end.

Of course, in a better scenario the D’s gain a Senate edge but it won’t be 60 votes so there will be hard limits on what they can get done.

And . . .

The next president has to deal with the drumpf economic disaster that’s about to happen. Wars are expensive and we’re way overextended already. Not to mention the hit drumpf will take for getting our children killed.

Plus Iran’s response. They aren’t stupid. They are going to hit drumpf and leave him little wiggle room to counter without WWIII.

missing_kskd
    Participant

It’s too late to reconsider.

No, it’s not.

The one talking about what they are gonna do, and how, is currently performing very well.

Top numbers across the board.

It’s never too late to reconsider our aggression around the globe. Not like we need even more enemies, is it?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Dream on. You’re old enough and experienced enough to be able to face the harsh reality of a failed democracy that’s been in decline since before you were born. I do hope for the best but the aggression of this country has spoken loud and clear for three years. You can’t reconsider decisions drumpf and his bastards have made and acted upon. Wake up! Or not. But let me tell you something, you’re posts are becoming too long to read and when I try they just don’t make sense. They used to, but not anymore. We’re not going to get a radical swing to the left anywhere near what 1)you want or 2)what is possible in the present and most likely future scenarios. Politics has its own physics and you’re thinking is outside all known limits all the time and is glaringly outside the realm of possibility. Best of luck going forward. You are going to be greatly disappointed even if Bernie wins, which he isn’t going to. The difference is that I will support him if he does win. You, on the other hand, won’t support defeating drumpf through another candidate if they cross your infinitely long laundry list of issues. You should read one of your marathon posts sometime. Many are total b.s.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.