New Iran conflict a deflection of impeachment?

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things New Iran conflict a deflection of impeachment?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

I wonder if the President is creating a new conflict to deflect away attention from his impeachment. I could be wrong here, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was true. This is a couple of months old, but somewhat surprising as even the WA Post doesn’t predict it, but look what is actually happening tonight. This is becoming more heated by the hour. Welcome to 2020. And welcome to higher gas prices though that is far less important to what this dangerous leader is doing. A major escalation in this conflict.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/10/17/no-trump-probably-wont-start-war-distract-his-difficulties-heres-what-hell-do-instead/

update:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/02/middleeast/baghdad-airport-rockets/index.html

• This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by paulwalker.
    Andrew
    Participant

I don’t think Trump is worried about impeachment at this point. It’s clear he’s not going to be removed either way. If anything, escalating this conflict increases the chances that some Senators might vote to remove him.

The base loves this hard-liner “tough guy” approach with Iran. Don’t think it’s related to impeachment at all.

paulwalker
    Participant

“increases the chances that some Senators might vote to remove him.”

So why in the hell would he be doing this? This President is mentally ill IMO.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by paulwalker.
    missing_kskd
    Participant

I am not sure. Trump seems to want a trial.

Maybe competing distractions?

paulwalker
    Participant

His whole Presidency is a “distraction”. That is why he must be removed. Thank God our country can withstand an abberation like this and still survive. Unfortunately, the competing party has no answers. Very sad.

Andrew
    Participant

Paul: “So why in the hell would he be doing this?”

Why did he pull the US out of the Iran nuclear agreement?

Why is he withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement?

Why is he constantly criticizing our NATO allies, telling them they need to pay a larger share of NATO’s costs?

Why did he recognize Israeli settlements in the West Bank, reversing decades of US policy toward Israel? Why did he move the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem?

Why has he cozied up to dictators like Kim Jung Un and Putin and criticized US allies like Canada?

Why has he done a lot of nutty things?

Sorry, I don’t see how this foreign policy idiocy is any different than any other impulsive decision he’s made – just much more dangerous than them, that’s all.

“This President is mentally ill IMO.”

In some sense, maybe. Remember, he is only able to get away with nutty things because the Republican Senate lets him.

paulwalker
    Participant

Amen. And the truth is the Republican Senate must vote conscience over party.

And why does my blood pressure go down on the other side of this thread with posts about John Landecker on WLS? 🙂

missing_kskd
    Participant

They can do whatever they want. “Must” seems dubious at this time. Would be awful nice, but I personally do not expect that.

Has Pelosi actually sent the articles over to the Senate yet?

Every week she does not do that, support for it all goes down as speculation and an opportunity for the GOP to position the delay as some weakness of case, or other basic thing plays out.

McConnell is perfectly willing to play really hard ball.

missing_kskd
    Participant

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pelosi-sending-impeachment-articles-senate-sees-details-trial/story?id=67824327

Here is what I mean.

McConnell can just say, “so, you don’t want a trial, or to Impeach? Great deal. I will take it, done, next!”

Now, if the Senate were all eager to impeach, a move like this would make great sense.

But, I have not seen the GOP express that sentiment.

So, what leverage does Pelosi even have?

Or, as the GOP will frame it, “What is she afraid of or needing some sort of deal on?”

Already, I have heard GOP types, Trump favorable, say Pelosi is trying to put constraints on the trial to avoid having Trump declassify Dem dirty laundry…

I am not speaking to any of that being valid. I am very definitely speaking to the need for a clear, forceful move to impeach, and failure to do that further marginalizes the value of it over time.

At the bare minimum, not actually initiating the process does run in conflict with “getting Trump out of office is all that matters”, in that this inaction does open the door for counter framing that will be more effective over time.

It also does make distractions more effective over time too, FWIW.

missing_kskd
    Participant

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/09/30/the-shadow-commander

That’s a great backgrounder on the commander killed in Trumps strike.

He was a pretty big deal. Major impact to Iran.

Depending obviously… this could lead to real war. Like with a declaration and the whole nine.

Hope you filled your tank. Gas will go up tomorrow, or over the weekend.

paulwalker
    Participant

Yep this could be a game changer. Politically, too soon to tell what might happen. But getting into another war here would be a major event in 2020. Hopefully, tensions will ease, but I’m not encouraged.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“I don’t know, Jim. This is a big ship. I’m just a country doctor.”

C’mon guys. He’s a narcissist. He will say and do ANYTHING to keep his name on the front page above the fold. He does not value human life if it isn’t one of his followers. If he keeps his gang in power they will keep him in power. Republican administrations always bring us war and financial chaos. He will do as much damage as he can until he is forced out by either his own gang (unlikely) or the electoral process or in the worst case scenario, term limits.

bookemdono
    Participant
    Andrew
    Participant

Trump’s other motivation may simply be “do the opposite of everything Obama did.” Obama’s administration negotiated the nuclear deal with Iran to try to bring the tension down; Trump is doing the opposite.

bookemdono
    Participant

There’s also a pretty damning report in the news today that his loans from Deutsche Bank were all backed by a Russian state bank. Combine that with the release of the emails directly implicating the ukraine was being held up at trump’s direction and there’s sufficient reason for trump to feel compelled to change the media’s narrative today.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by bookemdono.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.