New DTV Channel Assignments

Tagged: 

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  msndrspdx 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

washnotore
    Participant

Trip Ericson of Rabbit Ears website has some release information on DTV Channel Repack.

Here is what his webpage say about Portland.

https://www.rabbitears.info/repackchannels.php?country=B&city=&state=&mktid=30&owner=&sort=

Everyone is staying put except.

Here are the full power movers (mainly at KOIN Site)

02 KATU From 43 to 24
    06 KOIN From 40 to 25
    24 KNMT From 45 to 32

Only two Watch channel have to move

38 KKEI From 38 to 36
    41 KOXO From 41 to 15

All Portland area LPTV sations out of core will have to move. This includes KEVE-LP. They will have to move from Ch. 36 since KKEI is now assigned that channel.

Portland is in Transition phase two of the move. Which should be completed in 18 months.

dial tone
    Participant

Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet

― Abraham Lincoln

washnotore
    Participant

Update… the FCC has released public information on the DTV Repack.

https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-announces-results-worlds-first-broadcast-incentive-auction-0

mwdxer1
    Participant

Right now both Seattle & Portland looks safe as it does not look like any stations are going off. Of course anything can change. I see KVOS Bellingham WA going from 35 to 14 and KFFV Seattle going from 44 to 16. I never understood why any station would move from high VHF to UHF, unless they figure the coverage would improve. KVOS Bellingham went from ch 12 to 35 years ago and never moved back after 2009.
    In checking the huge metro areas like LA, NY, etc, I see quite a few stations going off. Strange that KPIX SF as well as WNBC NY, are. The companies own more channels in those markets, so they get a mint for the channel and then move their network over to their other station. I may do that if I was offered over 500 million.=)

Jbpdx
    Participant

KWVT (virtual 3.1, 17.1, 27.1, 37.1) will have to move too, it’s real channel 49. I wonder if they get real channel 3.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I see a few stations are moving back to low VHF.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This means that those people who bought new “DTV” antennas will now have to replace those antennas with larger ones that have elements cut for 54-88 MHz.

boisebill
    Participant

Aren’t the LPTVs on their own to find a new channel?

mwdxer1
    Participant

Any word on translators?

washnotore
    Participant

Looking through the complete FCC report:

https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-announces-results-worlds-first-broadcast-incentive-auction-0

Portland falls under Phase 2 of the FCC repack. Which means KATU, KOIN and KNMT. Along with Watch TV. Will have until April 2019 to move.

It won’t be long before there’ll be a flurry of filings for stations moving. Channel sharing is treated much the same as moving to a new channel. Both the sharee and the sharer will have separate licenses but the technical data for the stations will be identical. (See Para. 76 in the report.)

LPTV continues to receive special treatment. Analog LPTV has until July 13, 2021 to convert to digital. LPTV can continue to operate indefinitely on channels 38-51 until notified by a wireless company that the station will interfere with their new use of the frequencies. (See Para. 60 in the report.)

mwdxer1
    Participant

If LPTVs can continue to operate up to ch 51, then translators must be in the same boat. If that is the case, then the Gray’s River translators (29, 31, 35, 38, & 41) will stay for the being i would guess.

Andy Brown
    Participant

KOXO-CD and KKEI-CD Watch TV, Inc, Portland, OR have had their STA extension request dismissed.

washnotore
    Participant

I guess this means KEVE-LD on channel 36 is safe for now. FCC assigned KKEI-CD on RF 36 as part of the repack. What a waste to let two class A station go away. Without selling license to another LPTV operator in our area.

Jbpdx
    Participant

KOXO-CD and KKEI-CD Watch TV, Inc, Portland, OR have had their STA extension request dismissed.

Which means?

Andy Brown
    Participant

“which means?”

From the application for the original STA that was granted but is not being extended:

Exhibit 20
    Description: JUSTIFICATION FOR STA

THIS IS A REQUEST FOR DIGITAL STA FACILITIES. CDBS WILL ACCEPT ONLY AN ANALOG FORM BECAUSE THE FACILITY ID IS CURRENTLY ASSOCIATED WITH AN ANALOG LICENSE.

THE REQUESTED EMISSION MASK IS STRINGENT.

KKEI-CA, FACILITY ID 71078, IS CURRENTLY LICENSED ON ANALOG CHANNEL 38. IT HOLDS A GRANTED DIGITAL FLASH CUT CONSTRUCTION PERMIT, BDFCDTA-20120221ADM, GRANTED 03/02/2012.

THIS APPLICATION REQUESTS AUTHORITY TO OPERATE ON THE SAME DIGITAL CHANNEL AS THE GRANTED CONSTRUCTION PERMIT, BUT AT A TEMPORARY LOCATION. THIS TEMPORARY LOCATION WILL PERMIT THE STATION TO BEGIN OPERATING AS A DIGITAL FACILITY AT REDUCED COST UNTIL IT LEARNS MORE ABOUT THE LIKELY OUTCOME OF THE UPCOMING PLAN TO REPACK THE TV SPECTRUM AND WHETHER KKEI-CA WILL BE REQUIRED TO CHANGE TO A DIFFERENT CHANNEL OR THE LICENSEE WILL OFFER TO RELINQUISH THE LICENSE IN THE REVERSE INCENTIVE AUCTION.

THE ATTACHED MAP SHOWS THAT THE 51 DBU CONTOUR UNDER THE STA WILL SUBSTANTIALLY OVERLAP THE BOUNDARIES OF BOTH THE 51 DBU CONTOUR UNDER THE GRANTED CONSTRUCTION PERMIT AND THE 74 DBU CONTOUR OF THE LICENSED ANALOG FACILITY.

THE ANALOG FACILITY IS CURRENTLY DARK, BUT THE STATION IS OPERATING ON ITS COMPANION DIGITAL CHANNEL, DKKEI-LD, FACILITY ID 167795, CHANNEL 34, UNDER BLSTA-20120316ABW, EXTENDED BY BELSTA-20120912ABH. WHEN OPERATION OF KKEI-CA BEGINS UNDER THE STA REQUESTED HEREIN, OPERATION OF KKEI-LD WILL CEASE, AND THE LICENSEE UNDERSTANDS THAT THE COMPANION CHANNEL LICENSE WILL BE PERMANENTLY DELETED.

http://bit.ly/2rwzeCn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.