New diginet on in Portland

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

Who knows? Scripps may look into translators….I would mind having another addition on the North Coast.

semoochie
    Participant

Does anyone know the difference between the “CD” and “LD” suffixes?

Andy Brown
    Participant

CD means its a class A low powered station. It has more protection than a low powered station (LD).

Unlike traditional LPTV stations, class-A stations were given primary status during the transition to digital television (DTV), meaning that a full-service television station could not displace a class A LPTV station from its broadcast frequency (TV channel), except in rare cases. In contrast, traditional LPTV stations often found their frequencies assigned to full-service DTV operations, forcing them to relocate to another frequency. This was especially true in large cities, where available broadcast spectrum was scarce, and LPTV stations found themselves forced to cease operations due to no suitable spectrum

In exchange for the added broadcast protections, class-A stations are required to be more responsible in covering the community they serve. Class-A stations must:

Broadcast a minimum of 18 hours per day
    Broadcast an average of at least three hours per week of programming produced within the media market area served by the station
    Be in compliance with the Commission’s requirements for both LPTV stations and full-power television stations
    Broadcast the minimum required amount of Children’s “E/I” core programming
    Be capable of airing Emergency Alert System broadcasts when/if the need arises

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you Andy! I knew you would know the answer. I was aware of Class “A”s protective status but lost track of the suffixes after the digital transition. I didn’t realize that there were special requirements for a Class A.

drchaps
    Participant

I really don’t understand why Scripps is chasing broadcast TV. Sure there’s a small resurgence but everyone I know who is 35 or under is consuming content on their phones or tablets. That’s why I thought they got out of cable holdings. Once a player, always a player I guess.

Wish 26 had a better reach. Oh well. Like others have said, can get this on Roku.

msndrspdx
    Participant

The RabbitEars blog has been updated (finally!), and it reports that Scripps will have to divest 23 stations around the country as part of the Scripps/Ion merger deal. Scripps is quoted as saying that they’ve found buyers for all 23 stations, which have agreed to keep the Ion affiliate agreements in place (but for how long after the deal is approved by the FCC isn’t mentioned). No mention of when the deal is expected to be approved, however. No mention of who the buyers are for what stations, either. I’d guess the FCC will likely OK the deal fairly soon. What happens to the subchannels on KPXG and other Ion stations should be interesting to watch, and I’d imagine we’ll be hearing about that real soon.

Jeffrey Kopp
    Participant

Well, I finally rescanned so I could get ACE TV on 26.3, and it hardly seems worth the trouble.

boisebill
    Participant

I see posts that people are getting their Silicon Dust ATSC 3.0 tuners.

msndrspdx
    Participant

RabbitEars now shows KGWZ as on the air on RF Ch. 23, but something interesting is going on. They show KGWZ using virtual Ch. 8, which means that it’s simulcasting KGW 8 (RF 8 -> 26). That means that if you rescanned your TV, you would get two sets of KGW channels (8.1 NBC, 8.2 True Crime Network, 8.3 Quest) and two sets of two KPDX channels (49.2 Court TV and 49.4 Grit), one being KGW and the other KGWZ. So far there’s no separate virtual channel with KGWZ’s name on it. Is the current KGWZ setup a temporary setup for now, perhaps a placeholder for future service or services? I’m guessing that KGWZ will eventually emerge on its own virtual channel or channels. Thanks to the Ion/Scripps deal, it looks like Grit will probably move to KPXG at some future point, so 49.4 could have a new occupant fairly soon.

mwdxer1
    Participant

If Grit moves to KPXG, I hope the replacement may be something like Decades. That one I really miss.

yahmit
    Participant

I am getting 8.1 and 8.10, 8.2 & 8.20, 8.3 & 8.30. I am assuming the 8.10m 8.20 and 8.30 are KGWZ. Also the same set up of KPDX.

Any one know the status of KXPG-LD. The old 42.1 station. Is that in the works to come back on the air? And also 36.1 in Salem. I know Sagamore has a CP to move the tower.

msndrspdx
    Participant

In other words, the two KPDX channels are now 49.2/49.20 and 49.4/49.40. That makes some sense. I’d assume that KGW’s channels will ID as 8.1/8.10, 8.2/8.20 and 8.3/8.30 respectively and the two KPDX channels will ID as mentioned above. It’ll be interesting to see how long that arrangement lasts. If 49.4/49.40 does end up dropping Grit, I’d say Decades, Retro and Thus TV would all be good candidates for the space. We’ll have to see what KPXG does with their subchannels in the coming weeks. KPXG-LD 42 was carrying Daystar at last check, but they’ve been off air for awhile.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.