New Country “103.7 Tailgate Country”

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio New Country “103.7 Tailgate Country”

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Dxer1969
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation. Sports. Should have known. 4 AM’s and an FM. KNRK. Maybe The Brew. And a sliver of the country. WOW!

semoochie
    Participant

When News/Talk finally dies, expect two more Sports stations, KEX and whatever they decide to call 970.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Yep. You are probably right about that. Sorry I was an ass.

semoochie
    Participant

You have nothing to apologize for. There isn’t anything wrong with getting excited about a topic.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Do you think the news/talk format will actually die? Can’t see that happening at this point. Sure, maybe in 2018, Limbaugh might hang it up. Do you feel if that happens, Will that signal at least the beginning of the of the talk format?

semoochie
    Participant

I thought Limbaugh’s contract was up in 2016 and my feeling is that most similar shows will follow suit soon after. Conservative Talks’s primary appeal is now to old men who get older by the day. They generally aren’t picking up any younger listeners to replace them so it’s just a matter of time before there aren’t enough of them to be saleable, even with a direct sale. Adjusting the format to be less political, shows early promise in some places but then you get into where the format was prior to about 30 years ago, where the appeal was mostly seniors. For News/Talk to work long term, it has to find some way to reach Generation X, which even if they come up with a viable plan, is going to be nearly impossible, at least on AM, since nearly none of them ever go to the AM dial for anything other than Sports.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

If somebody had told me in the year 2000 that Hot Talk would largely be gone as an over-the-air radio format by the end of the decade, I wouldn’t have believed that person for a second. Of course, the prediction would have been correct. Thus, I won’t rule out the possibility that political talk will disappear as a radio format within the next few years.

At the moment, sports-related formats have high power ratios–that is, even if ratings are poor, stations running these formats can get away with charging a premium for advertising slots because the segment of the population to which sports formats appeal is one that is desirable to advertising buyers. However, if the dial becomes saturated with sports programming, could the format collapse under its own weight? Say that all the sports-format flips happen as predicted in this thread–the amount of money available for buying radio advertising won’t increase. There will be more stations that appeal to the same audience competing for those same advertising Dollars. Wouldn’t this force the price of advertising on sports stations to go down across the board?

semoochie
    Participant

As I see it, there would be three combo buys: 620/1190, 750/970 and 1080/910. That covers all the remaining “players” in the market except KPAM which will probably hold on until Pamplin retires.

paulwalker
    Participant

Alfredo, I think you are on the right track here, but I think that more sports does not necessarily mean lower revenue for all those in the “game”, so to speak. The analogy would be if a McDonalds opened up as a stand alone it would do better if it was surrounded by Wendy’s, Burger King, and Jack In The Box. Sports radio has become the new talk radio, and the more the better from a revenue standpoint in my mind. Who will break through will be based not only on the national talk shows, but who gets the rights to the major local teams.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Yes. These 3 combo plays could happen. KEX has the best chance of it. 970? Why them? 750 can carry the Ducks and maybe get back the Seahawks. KGON carries them now. Maybe AM is deader than I realized. At least, there is Pamplin. Glad he is still around. Like KPAM! And even KKOV. Sports? Think in a very short time, the sports stations will rule AM. Especially the high powered ones. 680 KNBR come mind. 910? Never get outta the cellar. Even if they continue to just broadcast the Mariners games. Ain’t enough. They ought to have just 3 mega sports stations. 750, 1080, and 1190. The rest, who really needs ’em. Put all 90’s on 620! Maybe that would help.

semoochie
    Participant

These pairings are all co-owned. KUFO 970 is an Alpha station and so is KXTG 750. The key point was “if” News/Talk dies.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Just me being an armchair radio QB for a moment. Don’t know if the N/T format will ever completely go away. Don’t think so. But I will agree that sports stations will dominate the AM band. Only a diluted KEX remains at the top on PDX AM. Will be curious to see how they fare after the cancellation of their long standing AM drive live & local morning show.

Bet you they fall. Think 750 & 1080 will pass them up. If 750 carried the Seahawks, they’d be #1 AM! Or if 1080 carried the Blazers, they’d beat KEX too! Just my thoughts, my friend.

semoochie
    Participant

I don’t think it will completely go away either, just as a way of reaching listeners and advertisers in rated markets. I’m sure that there will still be small towns where they keep it going and NPR still seems to be solid. The problem is that people used to discover the format starting at about 35 and that’s no longer happening. Generation X is just not interested in any kind of political talk.

semoochie
    Participant

Double click – See above.

Dxer1969
    Participant

My Gen X roommates? They avoid talk on the radio. Most they used to stomach on the subject was Stewart and Colbert!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.