New Country “103.7 Tailgate Country”

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio New Country “103.7 Tailgate Country”

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    W7PAT
    Participant

More likely the effect of the increased number of FM stations on the air rather than beam tilt.

Yes, that’s true, but certain frequencies such as 95.5 and 97.1 don’t have that problem, yet they now don’t reach Wolf Creek (at least not the recent times I’ve been through there). I suppose that the new shorter antennas might also have something to do with it as well.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

An “honorable mention” for my list is 93.5 K228EU/KKJC. The problem with this one is that when I point the antenna south, adjacent KKNU becomes too strong, and it causes severe interference.

Where was KOMS located?

jr_tech
    Participant

I can’t null out K228EU no matter which way my antenna is turned. 🙁

KOMS was 103.7, Lebanon.

jr_tech
    Participant

“Yes, that’s true, but certain frequencies such as 95.5 and 97.1 don’t have that problem, yet they now don’t reach Wolf Creek (at least not the recent times I’ve been through there).”

It’s subtle, but every station added to the band raises the “noise floor” and degrades DX reception for all stations.

It is also likely that your long distance reception was obtained during favorable tropo conditions. When I mentioned reception of KSOR (Ashland) and Vancouver BC stations above, reception was *not* constant, but the stations could be heard from Hillsboro on “good days”.

“I suppose that the new shorter antennas might also have something to do with it as well.”

That too!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

There are two tuners that I have to dig out to try on the Yagi:

1) 1960s vintage tube tuner

2) Late 1970s vintage SONY tuner with multiple-tuned front end

What I have been using so far is an early 1990s vintage Technics tuner modified with 180 kHz IF filters. With this tuner, the noise floor goes up considerably when I point the antenna east, due to overload. HD sidebands are also making a mess of the band (I can even hear these on my car radio at various spots on the dial).

oldsalt
    Participant

Used to be, we tried desperately to shake the “down on the farm, pick-up-truck, tailgatin, cold beeern, hot women, dee-vorcing image of country. Now, the suits build all the imaging and music around that bullshit. The one adult format that really could rule the airwaves, country, is constantly dumbed-down by people who have no idea of it’s potential.

Waynes World
    Participant

I hear the Portland State vikings on that. Blazer conflict I guess

semoochie
    Participant

Does anyone have a thought as to how long it will be before the translator actually translates from another source, rather than originating programing? It’s been quite a while and I believe they’re allowed 12 hours! It’s supposed to be relaying KFBW-HD3 but that no longer exists.

Dxer1969
    Participant

@ Old Salt. Laughed a little at your comment there!
    Country? Is not an adult format exactly. Lots of folks listen to it. Younger and middle aged. Actually, I prefer it now over that pre mid 80’s dreck. IMO, country had 2 phases of great popularity. 87 to 94. And 2009 til now. In each case, the establishment “threw older artists to the wayside, and signed on new artists, which they hoped would appeal to younger listeners. The experiment worked! I, myself, liked these new artists and have purchased their music. Gone is that syrupy, whiny, embarrassing twangy dreck. Like the more upbeat, guitar driven tracks. Used to be, country was an embarrassing format most folks wouldn’t admit to listening to. Nowadays, it is legitimate format. And the music, nearly all of it on the new side, is successful.
    However, always liked Willie, Waylon, Johnny Cash, and even Hank Jr! 2015 CD purchases? New music by George Strait and Reba. I am actually glad these 2 classic country artists are still around, just so you know!

semoochie
    Participant

Actually, the main draw these days is young women.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Perhaps. But still, The new country is viable. I like it. Do you? I like you. Glad you are still up. But why target young women with mostly aggressive guitar ridden tracks? Thought young men liked that sort of thing. So, riddle me this? What do the young men listen to now? Answer me that? Not trying to be an ass here. But really? Seems to me that the young men are being neglected here. Me? I’m not worried about me. Got tons of music at my disposal! So why make a comment like that. So OK. Tell me? What do the young men listen to now?: Let’s say: Men: 18 to 25 listen to now? Kind of feel sorry for them. Bastards seem to be neglecting them now. Not the way it was when I was that age. In 84, I had tons of cool stations to listen to. I hate it when “they” close off a viable demographic! I hate it!

Dxer1969
    Participant

If I came across too strong, I apologize. But you are not the first who posted that music is targeted toward young women. I believe it was pop music earlier. So, why is that? Not just you, Semoochie. But anyone. Why just the young women? Kind of bothers me. Do these ignorant asses know that young men also have a radio, a vehicle, a smart device? Yeah, I have heard over these last 10 years or so that these bastards target young women. Nothing against young women. My railing was not against them or you at all! It is “them”! It seems they have a prejudice against young men. And that is what I have an issue with.

Dxer1969
    Participant

And believe me! I will be the first SOB that will come out if I have an issue! If I get too hot headed about it. I will be the first SOB to apologize for it. Like I did just now. Or with Broadway earlier. Yes, I am new here. And for the most part I am congenial. But still, I can get riled up! Certain topics rile me up. But if I’m wrong. Or come across too strong, I will apolgize. I always want to be a contributer to the forum. And I will be entertaining. For better, Or worse. Hopefully, for the better. But, I am passionate about certain things! Don’t want to hear about abortion, Dog, or anything against Transgender. Or else, it’s war. Skep. I’m with you all the way!!

Dxer1969
    Participant

Jerry 1949. Figured since he was 10 years older that he would have acquired more wisdom. Apparently not! He was just a power. Acting smart. Maybe in certain ways, he was educated, but not wise to the ways of the real world!
    Now, to me, the difference between Jerry and Broadway was: Jerry was truly an arrogant pompous asshole who never did anything to help others. Now, Broadway! He actually has. He has braved the cold. He has actually fed 100’s of people! I was there. Incognito! Just wanted to see if the man was for real. And he is. So I will certainly give him credit for that! Why? I have never done it! So, enough said. Sometimes, you just have to check a person out. Broadway never gave a sermon or laid a guilt trip! He just fed folks. Other bastards did the dirty work. So, I forgive you Broadway! Hope others here can do the same.

semoochie
    Participant

Country has never been my particular cup of tea although I have worked with it on three different stations. I always thought it would evolve and by doing so, would no longer sound like Country, leaving the rural aspects behind. Somehow, it has managed to evolve in such a way that it remains intact and not splintered into other formats. “18-34 year-old men” is way down the list of preferred advertising targets and it seems to me that about the only format young men can really agree on is Sports. Otherwise, they listen to formats that weren’t actually designed for them like CHR/Rhythmic or Alternative.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.