New Country “103.7 Tailgate Country”

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio New Country “103.7 Tailgate Country”

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

Prior to recently, outside of the South, people tended to discover Country music at about age 35, so playing anything older than 20 years would garner mostly listeners 55 and over. You could add a handful of songs from the Urban Cowboy period but not even Country stations have played them for years! It seems to me that Mainstream Country is already playing any 25 year-old and younger songs that anyone wants to hear.

Bernie
    Participant

http://www.tailgate1037.com/main.html

what caught me immediately is the name. Is TAIL GATE really shown as two words on their logo, website and marketing collateral?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Classic country was tried in the late 1990s, and it did not do well in the ratings.

Although I fully understand that all FCC rules are being followed, I am noticing that at my location, there are now a number of frequencies where I can select multiple stations by rotating the antenna. They are:

90.3 KXPC/KSLC

91.9 K220IN/KRVM

103.7 K279BO/KNRQ

107.1 K296FT/KLVU

semoochie
    Participant

Do you get Castle Rock on 107.1 also?

jr_tech
    Participant

Also on 91.9, heading about 330 degrees, do you hear KMUN Astoria ?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I cannot receive the Astoria or Castle Rock stations. With the antenna pointed roughly 330-360 degrees, I hear a weak K220IN on 91.9 and a very weak KLVU on 107.1.

semoochie
    Participant

I used to get the more distant FMs late at night, for some reason, of which I am not clear. That’s when I would pull in Bellingham or Vancouver B.C.. It was pretty consistent.

W7PAT
    Participant

Classic country was tried in the late 1990s, and it did not do well in the ratings.

I knew a lot of folks who listened to classic country when it was on 970 AM. I think if done right, it would get some rating on a small station like 103.7. The fact that it’s on FM would help but you have to advertise that it’s there too. People are too lazy to explore the FM (or AM) dial now-a-days. I doubt Tailgate country will draw much attention in the ratings if they don’t let folks know they are there.

semoochie
    Participant

How old were the folks?

W7PAT
    Participant

40’s

Andy Brown
    Participant

“I used to get the more distant FMs late at night, for some reason, of which I am not clear.”

The sun offers a tremendous amount of interference on a broadband basis. When the sun is gone, signals propagate better. Groundwave at the radio horizon (and slightly beyond – don’t ask for an explanation of the “slightly beyond” part) become more receivable because there is less solar interference (as long as you aren’t close to co channel or first adjacent signals). If it’s cloudy you can also experience E-skip skywave at FM band frequencies. Clearly not like AM channels, but the signals do bounce around when the atmospheric conditions are “thick.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_and_FM_DX

I remember picking up 106.7 when it was on Mt. Scott down in southern Oregon on I-5 between Grants Pass and Roseburg as I was traveling north every time I would hit a hill peak and start coming down the north side.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

A few weeks ago, I was hearing KYNW 102.9 (Centralia, WA) by pointing the antenna north. I didn’t include this station on my list because I haven’t been able to hear it since.

W7PAT
    Participant

Before the KGON tower when most of the FM stations were on KXL, You could hear most of those station at least to Wolf Creek area north of Grants Pass. Not anymore. I suppose Beam tilt antennas might have something to do with that.

jr_tech
    Participant

More likely the effect of the increased number of FM stations on the air rather than beam tilt. For example, from Hillsboro, KSOR (90.1) Ashland was a fairly regular catch before KAJC (90.1) Salem hit the air. Most Vancouver BC stations that I could receive in the 80s-90s are covered now by closer stations/translators/HD carriers. The band is filling up and noise levels are increasing.

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you, Andy. That was in the 1970s, with a giant Radio Shack FM antenna with rotor on the roof, attached to the living room home entertainment center(remember those?). One of the stations that came in all the time was KOMS at 30KW, before they raised power. Needless to say, there wasn’t much selectivity.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.