Millenials Are Different

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    missing_kskd
    Participant

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/millennials-different-kurt-cagle

I work with some in my new role. A whole lot in this piece resonates with my recent experiences.

**Put here as part of our ongoing generational conversation.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

There is often disagreement over the definition of generational labels. One definition I saw years ago went as follows: Baby Boomers were born between the end of WWII and the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Generation X was born between the JFK assassination and 1980. Anybody born after 1980 was in a not-yet-defined group. An alternate definition moved the Baby Boomer/Generation X cutoff to 1960, citing that somebody born in 1963 would have been too young to appreciate living through the Vietnam War. Definitions that incorporate a Generation Y or millennial group cite that these are people who grew up in an era where commercial use of the Internet had gone mainstream and that none of their adulthood was lived in a pre-9/11 world. These systems of defining generations work on the notion that the members of a generation experienced a common zeitgeist during their formative years.

The above article is different because it relies more heavily on economic data to create the definitions, and the cultural aspects seem to be secondary. The concept of there being two Millennial generations is novel. I do have one problem: the article claims that the Millennial generation started in 1975. I was born in 1974, and I feel that I have very little in common with stereotypical Millennials.

As a matter of fact, during lunch today, I was watching some low budget indie rock and twee music videos from the early to mid 1990s and I ended up feeling downright nostalgic over the old-timey production techniques of the videos and of the look of the people in the videos. Many of the sequences appeared to have been shot on 8mm or 16mm film. The audio was monaural. One of the singers had a piercing on the side of her nose, but that was a reminder to me that in 1996, body piercings were still somewhat avant-garde, and only people in arts-related fields, such as musicians, could pull off that look.

I also read the following article about Generation X:

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/11/generation_x_gets_really_old_how_do_slackers_have_a_midlife_crisis/

Some of the observations there started to resound.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.