Mike Riley says goodbye to OSU again

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant
    Brianl
    Participant

Yeah, this one is a shocker.

First off, I think Nebraska was idiotic to fire Bo Pelini. Yeah, he’s a red-ass that grates on people, but he won 9+ games every year he was there.

Riley is going from the worst facilities, and the smallest athletic budget, in the Pac-12 to one of the top programs, in regards to facilities, money and tradition, in the nation. He has done more with less than anyone, and I am excited to see what he does in Lincoln.

I know a lot of Beaver Nation was clamoring for Riley to be fired – my question is, who do they go get?

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Pelini had a couple of problems going against him. One is that his personality does not fit the image Nebraska wanted, and 9 games don’t count for much unless they’re the right games. Pelini couldn’t win the games that counted and there was the feeling that nothing would change in the future. Nebraska fans want and expect national championships. It’s been 50 years since Nebraska football didn’t have a sell out game and that’s with a stadium that holds nearly 100,000 people, just to give you an idea of the tremendous fan support.

It was time for a change. That was the pretty universal feeling around here.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what Riley can do with unlimited budget and facilities to die for. This represents an opportunity to finish his career with one huge bang.

paulwalker
    Participant

Interesting turn of events. Lots of Beav fans liking his resignation, but anyone inheriting this program will likely be in for years of frustration. Lots of rebuilding to do, and it may take a young, talented coach to make this happen. Who? I have not heard a lot of names. In the meantime, be patient Beavs, because this could take awhile.

Turning the tables, the Pac-12 title game tomorrow will be make or break for the Ducks. The biggest game of the year, and if the Ducks can pull out a win, then they will be in. But then, still two more games to play to win the title. Lots of work ahead for the almighty Ducks.

johnlaw
    Participant

Going to stop off tomorrow after work and pick up my annual holiday bottle of Johnny Walker Red and raise my glass to toast the Ducks in hopes of a victory. Or keep drinking if they go down in flames. I’m flexible that way.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Beaver fans should be careful what they wish for. I know a lot of Beaver fans who are celebrating. I’m not really sure that’s what they should be doing though, as Mike Riley will be about as good as the Beavers will do. OSU is a second rate program when it comes to football. In the same shitter as WSU and Colorado.

If I was a Beaver fan, I’d be concerned about the future. With Riley leaving OSU, I see don’t see any chance OSU can become relevant in the near future.

If I’m a Husker fan, I’d be pretty happy. Riley will do much better with a program that has resources.

As for UO (and in the interest of full disclosure, I’m a graduate and long time huge football fan), UO will handily beat AZ tomorrow. They got super lucky the first time, we’ve seen their scheme, and we will have a full squad. I predict a hearty win by UO.

At this point it’s lose or go home. If UO wins against AZ, we are in the top 4. While I’m a huge proponent of the playoff system, I’m still annoyed that there is such a gap between the end of the regular season and the playoff games.

UO is gelling and is in a groove right now. I believe they are the best team in the nation and could beat anybody. My biggest fear is the time off and how that changes things.

My hopes this year are to see Mariota take home the Heisman, play FSU in the first round, then on to Alabama in the final and win it all. All would be capped off with Mariota going #1 in the NFL draft.

duxrule
    Participant

Beaver fans aren’t the only ones who might be “careful what they wish for.” Riley’s leash will be MUCH shorter in Lincoln than it was in Corn Valley. Taking the month of September for the team to find its feet isn’t going to cut it for Big Red. He got out of the Cow College while the getting was good, but his job got tougher, not easier.

Looking forward to tomorrow, if things go to form, Oregon should win easily. The Ducks are much healthier on the O-line, and should be able to do a better job of exerting their will on that side of the ball. They have to withstand Arizona’s initial wave of emotion, and take advantage when they can. Create opportunities and capitalize. They also have to be cognizant of whatever tricks Rich Rod will have up his sleeve. We will see some weird shit on the AZ side of the ball, that’s RR’s MO.

paulwalker
    Participant

Nope, I predict an upset, AZ 24-17, OR drops out of the top 4 and ends up in some bowl that means nothing, except probably a top 10 ranking.

Brianl
    Participant

I think that Oregon wins tonight. I also don’t think it will be that close.

Oregon State seriously needs to update their facilities. The money is there, with the Pac-12 Networks windfall, and De Carolis says that changes are coming. The thing is, De Carolis is retiring next year, and it seems that he doesn’t want to do too much on the way out. It’s a really tough sell to recruits, and trust me, as a Coug, I know what that is like.

duxrule
    Participant

At least Corvallis is close to other stuff, so you can play on the old “small-town-synergy” angle. The only thing Pullman is close to is the end of the world.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The Ducks should win tonight as they have great momentum, something they didn’t have when AZ. beat them in the beginning of the season. Momentum in college football does not carry over the off season. In addition to momentum, they have payback on their minds for that loss and Marriotta is in peak form.

As far as Riley going to the Cornboys, good luck to him but Nebraska ran on the top for many years and getting back there won’t be a cake walk. It will take years and the string pullers there are not laid back Oregonians. They want results and they want it fast.

Brianl
    Participant

Dux, Pullman is a fantastic college town with an amazing atmosphere. It is just not for everyone, and trust me, I get that.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

Nebraska is loving Mike Riley. The overall thinking is that he was the perfect choice to replace Pellini.

This was a fast moving project.

Sunday: Pellini fired.
    Monday: First ever contact with Riley
    Tuesday: Nebraska AD and Chancellor meet Riley in San Francisco. Offer him $2.7 Million after 2 hour meeting.
    Wednesday: He accepts
    Thursday: He arrives in Lincoln to take over the job and meet with the team.
    Friday: Holds first press conference. Is compared to Nebraska’s own Henry Fonda in demeanor.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Ducks are playing like crap and still up 23-0 early in the 3rd.

I have to laugh about the Mike Riley situation. Nebraska should be pumped. They are getting a great coach who will have the resources available to win. And Riley got the last laugh by upgrading his situation before being fired from a second rate football program. OSU is in big trouble. Nebraska has better days ahead.

paulwalker
    Participant

I was wrong, the Ducks with a definite win tonight.

As for OSU, what a mess. I will leave it there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.