MGM and Sinclair Broadcasting To Debut Sci-Fi Diginet

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio MGM and Sinclair Broadcasting To Debut Sci-Fi Diginet

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

As of this morning the Get TV schedule is gone and we now have the Comet Guide on all of my TV’s. No loss here with Get TV, as Dish has it. The pq is about the same too.

Jbpdx
    Participant

Found this on Facebook:

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting KATU. GetTV will shift to channel 2.4 as soon as we have the equipment in place. We are currently waiting for delivery of some crucial parts but anticipate channel 2.4 as GetTV launching sometime this month. We appreciate your patience while we work to get it up and running as soon as possible.

Thanks for watching!
    Have a great day.

KATU/KUNP
    Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.
    Portland, OR

msndrspdx
    Participant

Maybe this explains why Comcast has not switched the listings on its Ch. 301 from Get to Comet. They expect Get to return. When that occurs, will Comcast move Comet and thus have both Get and Comet? Since KATU says they expect the new sub channel up before month’s end, I’d say that a resolution to the situation might be forthcoming in the next several days. We’ll see if this affects the repeaters (Astoria, erc.) as well. I’d say that they would likely end up being set up the same way, once all the tech issues get fixed.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I don’t know how KATU’s translator works at Megler compared to KOIN’s, but according the CE at KOIN, he said anything they broadcast from Portland, we will receive. A few days after he told me that, 6.2 popped on the air in Portland we got it here. I had to re-scan, but 6.2 showed up on all of my tuners and boxes. I did e mail KATU tonight to ask. If the pq on all three subs for KATU is good, I see the other main Portland channels adding another diginet in time.I guess there is a new system available that the TV station can double the number of diginets, but the current TV sets will not receive it.
    ION uses more diginets, and I think their main channel runs 720p, as KATU does. We do not have ION OTA out here, but how good is the pq in Portland on ION?

Patrick

jr_tech
    Participant

“how good is the pq in Portland on ION?”

The main channel is not too bad, but the sub channels are noticeably bit starved, with poor edge detail and noticeable recovery time after a scene change or rapid movement… good enough for shopping channels perhaps, but I would not want to watch it for very long.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks for the info.I wondered about that with ION. Now if they had all SD, then the subs would look sharper. Adding too many subs I guess is not good. It will be interesting to see how much they give Get TV at 2.4. Comparing Mbps, KATU is supposed to use 13 Mbps on 2.1, and KGW uses only 11.3 Mbps on 8.1 and KGW’s HD looks fine here. I presume if KATU was to go down to 11.3 from 13, that would give enough space for Get TV. But of course KATU is only 720p and KGW is 1080i. That might make some difference too.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Comcast is now showing Comet listings on its Ch. 301, but I think they installed the East Coast listings into the display rather than West Coast. No indication that they are prepping a new space for Get.

By the way, RabbitEars now shows Get as “coming soon” to KATU 2.4. That seems to jibe with the report above.

Buzzr’s Facebook page reports that they are now on in all of the Top 10 markets and are now available to 60% of the TV homes in the nation.

Jbpdx
    Participant

I hope Sinclair adjusts their programming on Comet. I like sci fi, especially from the ’50s and ’60s, but I hate gory movies, which I don’t consider sci fi. If they are going to show violent slasher movies, I wish they’d keep them on late night.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, I like the older 50s-60s sci fi movies too. Many of the later ones are too violent for me.

washnotore
    Participant

More College League Football coming to American Sports Network so maybe more stations will be announced soon. Sinclair just recently purchased cable network, The Tennis channel.

mwdxer1
    Participant

A friend in Portland ME says that the American Sports Network is now on a sub there. Not being a big sports fan, I would rather have something else, but sports is big.
    With Get TV going to 6.2, it is unknown if KATU will be using 2.4 or not now, I have not heard back from KATU as yet. I hope when Get TV goes over to 6.2, KOIN gets the pq better, as the SD version on KOIN does not look good.

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.