MGM and Sinclair Broadcasting To Debut Sci-Fi Diginet

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio MGM and Sinclair Broadcasting To Debut Sci-Fi Diginet

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    msndrspdx
    Participant

How about this one? This the lineup on KAXT-CD, which is on Ch. 42 but uses virtual Ch. 1 in the SF Bay Area. A grand total of 20 streams of programming.
    🎶- Audio Only. Channels 1.1 thru 1.12 are in 480i. Audio on all channels is Dolby Digital 1.0, according to RabbitEars. Some of the audio choices aren’t described, but you get the idea:

1.1: What’s On (Program listings)
    1.2: Retro TV SF
    1.3: QVC (Shopping)
    1.4: VietBay (in Vietnamese)
    1.5: QHTV (in Vietnamese)
    1.6: NetViet (in Vietnamese)
    1.7: VietOp (in Vietnamese)
    1.8: Creation TV (CTV) USA (in Vietnamese – relig.)
    1.9: U Channel (in Chinese)
    1.10: TFTV (Relig.)
    1.11: Jewelry TV (Shopping)
    1.12: Net-V (in Vietnamese)
    1.13: 🎶 Brioso Classical Music
    1.14: 🎶 Vietnamese programs
    1.15: 🎶 (not listed)
    1.16: 🎶 Music from India
    1.17: 🎶 (not listed)
    1.18: 🎶 (not listed)
    1.19: 🎶 (not listed)
    1.20: 🎶 (not listed)

Best, Mike 🙂

mwdxer1
    Participant

Fortunately Get TV now is on Dish Network, so for now I get two copies. Comet TV will be interesting. Hope the sci fi movies are decent.

Broadway
    Participant

This is pretty amazing that you can now fit all these channels on “one” channel…we could conceivably have 100’s of OTA material in large markets in the future?

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, stations can add a lot of channels, but more they add the worse the pq is. Comfortably a 720p HD channel such as KATU can add up to 3 extra SD diginets, but beyond that the pq suffers. Now a SD channel can add up to 6 without any issues, but in this world where people want HD, the HD station cannot add too many channels. I have a friend in LA and he gets over 100+ OTA channels with the diginets and he said there is a ch 18 I believe that runs all sorts of International channels and all are in SD, but they have a dozen channels and the pq is not very good. In markets like LA, NY, Chicago, etc there are enough OTA channels to offer nearly every good classic TV channel including, Antenna TV, METV, Heroes & Icons, Cozi, Get TV, Grit, Escape, The Works, Buzzr, RTV, and others. Now that the FCC is selling off spectrum and the highest channel may be 38, the markets like LA will have to cram a lot more TV into a smaller piece of the pie. I guess in theory a market can have a station on every channel, 2,3,4,5,6 and so on as some stations are looking at moving back to low VHF. Seattle has stations next to each other and reports say there is not an issue. A lot different than the analog days. Time will tell where this all goes. Even the CE’s I know still doesn’t know what the FCC will end up doing. Some stations are waiting before adding more sub’s to see if they have to move and where. Right now both 2 (43) and 6 (40) will have to move and they may go back to 2 & 6.

washnotore
    Participant

Now comes word that Sinclair’s American Sports Network.

http://americansportsnet.com/asn-launches-247-broadcast-network-on-monday/

Is now a full time digitnet. Starting with 10 Sinclair stations back east.

Jbpdx
    Participant

Comet TV is now on the air on 2.3

mwdxer1
    Participant

Yes, it is , but the OTA guide still shows programming for Get TV. I like Get TV, so I am happy that the channel is now on Dish.I was up late, but when I went to bed, it was still Get TV on 2.3. What time did they switch? KOIN 6.2 is still SD of 6.1.Did Get TV go to KUNP?

Patrick

washnotore
    Participant

It looks like Get TV is the loser out in Portland.

Comet TV can also be seen on Comcast Channel 301 (Portland). I’m sure the cable viewers will be the first to complain. Of the programing change. After all it’s not Comcast fault.

As for Grit TV (No Comcast carriage). It programing can still be found on KUNP 47.3..

As for Get TV, Who will be the next station in Portland to pick them up again. Maybe KOIN at 6.2..

mwdxer1
    Participant

So as of now, no Get TV in Portland? Then the comment that was made, that Get TV may be on 6.2, may be true. One source said that there will be a 6.3 too. Get TV is on Dish. I thought that was interesting having a diginet on satellite full time.I do notice the pq on 2.3 is a bit fuzzy. Get TV was much sharper and I am looking at only a 32″ screen.

Jbpdx
    Participant

Rabbitears says Get TV will move to 47.3 (16.3), but no date given. I assume Sinclair still has a contract with Get. But all parties would probably OK it moving to 6.2, which would be a more preferable channel location.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I am glad we receive Get TV on Dish now then, as out here we do not get KUNP OTA. I guess they are then dropping Grit TV? I am still getting the Get TV guide on all of my OTA boxes on 2.3, but the channel does say “Comet”. In Portland, is anyone getting The Comet guide?

mwdxer1
    Participant

6.2 may end up being “Decades” too.

msndrspdx
    Participant

Comcast still showing Get listings, but showing Comet on air. I joined Get’s Facebook page not too long ago. Earlier today, I let them know about the Get/Comet switch. The folks at Get, shortly afterward, posted a thank you to me for bringing it to their attention. Get says they’ll “look into alternatives to keep Get TV on the air in the Portland market.” Several people suggested complaining to KATU thru their FB, pointing out similiar situations in the last few months. I think this caught them by surprise.

One hopes that when KPDX goes to a new owner, they’ll turn it into a place where several multicast networks can have a home here, along the lines of what we described here earlier. Hopefully that will happen to KGWZ as well, once Daystar moves…and do we know when that will happen? Maybe whoever picks up KPDX will pick up KGWZ as well. That would be a good use of a duopoly! Of course, getting Comcast to run them would help, too.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Thanks for letting them know. People do have an alternative with Dish carrying Get TV now. I am hoping more of the diginets do end up on satellite as well as cable. Like out here on the coast “if” the diginet is carried OTA, then Charter generally will add it, but if not they don’t. In the case of Antenna TV or THIS, neither are carried by Charter as they are not available OTA. Maybe it has something to do with licensing. We have 2-6-8-10-12 OTA out here on the North Coast and their diginets, giving us 14 channels at this time. That may change in the future with KPTV as soon as they get the fiber out to the translators, KPTV may switch back to KPTV/KPDX. I hope not as I like having COZI & Laff full time OTA. But who knows? I also found out with fiber, about all of the Portland main stations will be carried by the fiber. Stations like 32 we do not have. If they find a way to set up a translator, then we may get them in time. No more of bouncing the signal from site to site.No more dropouts either. I do hope they get the guide fixed soon.

Jbpdx
    Participant

Get TV is no longer listed on 47.3, according to Rabbitears. I hope someone picks it up. So far I’m unimpressed with Comet…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.