MGM and Sinclair Broadcasting To Debut Sci-Fi Diginet

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio MGM and Sinclair Broadcasting To Debut Sci-Fi Diginet

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    washnotore
    Participant

Another diginet maybe coming to KATU/KUNP soon.

If there is any room left for one?

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/86528/mgm-sinclair-to-debut-scifi-diginet

washnotore
    Participant

MGM and Sinclair have announced the name for the Sci-Fi diginet that both companies have teamed up to create, which will be called Comet TV.

http://tvclassicsrus.blogspot.com/2015/09/new-sci-fi-diginet-comet-tv.html

No launch date or local carriage agreement has been set yet.

Jbpdx
    Participant

It launches on Halloween. Only 10 Sinclair stations are listed on rabbitears.info so far. KATU/KUNP not listed.

http://www.rabbitears.info/search.php?request=network_search&network=Comet+TV

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

Jbpdx
    Participant

Comet TV has 71 affiliates so far, 62 Sinclair and 9 non-Sinclair TV markets. Top Sinclair markets NOT included: Minneapolis, St Louis, Portland.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Where would they put it? Out here we have 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 on the coast, but no OTA KUNP. Could they add a 2.4 without losing too much pq? Sounds like a neat channel.

Jbpdx
    Participant

I would bet Sinclair will try to get Grit shifted to KPDX 49.3 so they can add Comet to 47.3. But you’re right, Portland is running short on subchannel slots. KOIN still can add, but the # of diginetworks not carried here is growing.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Comet TV is going to be on two Sinclair stations in ID, Boise & Lewiston. I would guess Portland will have it, but if it ends up on KUNP, no one outside the Portland metro area will receive the channel OTA.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Portland is bound to get it. As of tonight via Rabbitears Coos Bay, Eugene & Medford will be getting the channel.

yahmit
    Participant

Would KUNP ever consider putting a translator in the Salem area? I can pick up all the OTA’s from PDX except for them.

Jbpdx
    Participant

2.1 is 720p so KATU could add a 2.4 for Comet, but Sinclair might have a two subchannel limit per station. If so, their options are limited. Would be ironic if they have two stations in Portland but can’t get their own network on here.

mwdxer1
    Participant

They can have 3 subs running 720p without losing pq? I thought 2 subs was the limit? Maybe equipment has improved. Right now METV & Get TV look pretty sharp in SD.

Jbpdx
    Participant

I don’t know much about technical specs. But most stations running 1080i on their x.1 channels usually carry two subs max. A lot running 720p on x.1 carry more than two. KPXG Ion 22.1 looks fine in 720p and they run six subchannels. Many cord-cutters want quantity (diginetworks). For quality, keep cable or satellite.

Broadway
    Participant

>>KPXG Ion 22.1
    Why not one of our geeks run down/explain how they are getting 7 channels and others quit at 2/3…???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.