Megler TV Translators, Kudo's to the Portland engineers!

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio Megler TV Translators, Kudo's to the Portland engineers!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mwdxer1
    Participant

After years of losing the signals during bad weather, and now having the translators fed by Fiber, during our monster storm a few days ago where roofs blew off, power outages, and gusts over 100 MPH on Megler, All 5 translators stayed on the air! Every one as far as I could tell, at every time I could check, except when we lost power for 3 hours. The Portland engineers have done a wonderful job. Adding all of sub channels have given an OTA starved area a great assortment. My thanks to them all!

GoofyGoof
    Participant

I think it’s great that all the Portland stations long ago put up all these translators across Oregon. I always wondered why the Seattle stations never did the same thing. There are very few translators of Seattle stations in Western Washington. Only one on The coast, KCPQ in the Hoquiam area. None to the north towards Bellingham.
    Anyway. What indoor antenna do you recommend for your area? The one I bought for my sister’s place in Long Beach doesn’t work very well. Thanks!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The Oregon television translators are generally owned and operated by organizations not affiliated with the television stations that they carry. One such organization is Rural Oregon Wireless Television.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Not so here on the Northern Oregon Coast. All 5 (2,6,8,10, & 12) are owned by the Portland TV stations. So if one is off, I call the CE needed. Back in the 50s & 60s there was a local outfit that owned lp translators for Seaside/Gearhart. But those went off back in the 70s. We were without any OTA TV for years, not until 1991 when 2,6, & 49 came on. When 12 and 49 merged they switched 49 to 12 out here. Then about 2011 OPB came on followed by KGW. Then we ended up getting all these great sub channels. The first to go digital out here was 6, followed quickly by 10. Then 8 followed, then 12 and last year 2 finally switched. we still have a half a dozen CP’s out here for new translators and at least a couple claim they plan to come on.

mwdxer1
    Participant

I asked KING 5 that question one time. The engineer said there was not a need for them for years in analog and no one seemed to be all that interested in putting them on. If you do a search there are supposed to be a few like Everett, Aberdeen, etc but not many. Spokane has a lot of translators.

msndrspdx
    Participant

KSLS (7), the PBS outlet in Spokane, has translators running as far east as Whitefish, Mkntana. The OBS outlet in Centralia, which relays the one in Tacoma, has a translator in Grays River, where the Portland stations have relays sending their programs to Astoria.

And the Portland stations all have translators in Eugene. As a result Eugene actually has two outlets for GetTV: KOIN’s translator and a local station.

OPB’s translator in Ontario (now on Ch. 13) competes head to head with the PBS station in Boise.

mwdxer1
    Participant

They used to bounce the translator signals from the Portland West Hills to KO Peak (Gray’s River) then over to Megler to serve Astoria & the North Coast, but now all 5 translators are fed by Fiber, so we do not normally lose the signals during storms, as there is no bouncing involved. The last biggie with gusts 95-100 MPH, all 5 translators stayed fine, even when locally I lost power for 3 hours.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.