May the luck of Harvey be with you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I have no connection whatsoever with Harvey Marine, but I thought that I would share the interesting story behind the famous giant rabbit who greets thousands of passersby on TV Highway every day:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2191

The statue’s birth was a fortuitous combination of a 1950 film, the Columbus Day storm, a giant Texaco fiberglass man, and a fiberglass repairman with the surname Harvey. The rabbit symbolizes good luck!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I finally watched the film Harvey, which helped to inspire the creation of the anthropomorphic rabbit statue at Harvey Marine. The film is available from the Washington County library system.

Harvey is a fun movie. The main character, Elwood Dowd is a friendly drunk who has an invisible friend named Harvey. Harvey is described as a 6’8″ tall anthropomorhic rabbit. At the beginning of the film, it seems pretty obvious that Dowd is suffering from a psychiatric disorder that causes him to hallucinate and that people who are touched by his charming personality play along with the existence of the invisible rabbit simply to make Dowd happy. As the story progresses, one starts to wonder, hey, what’s really going on here?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.