Marijuana use surpasses cigarette smoking among college students

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Marijuana use surpasses cigarette smoking among college students

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

KPAM reported a University of Michigan study that showed that today more college students are using marijuana regularly (>20 times in the last 30 days) than are smoking cigarettes daily. This story contains some of the data from the study:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/09/daily_marijuana_use_by_college_students_surpasses_cigarettes_for_the_first_time_survey_shows.html

• 5.9% of college students are regular marijuana users (compare with 5.0% who smoke cigarettes daily).
    • In 1999, 19% of college students smoked cigarettes daily (compare with 5.0% today).
    • 63% of college students today report driking alcohol at least once in the previous 30 days (compare with 82% in 1981).
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I have a question for anybody who is in touch with the culture of today’s 20-somethings. Is cigarette smoking still part of the party culture among that demographic?

When I was in my 20s and early 30s, going out onto porches or patios for a smoke was a party ritual. Going outside meant that one could get away from the loud music and noise of the party and have a conversation. The cigarettes and the activity of lighting them helped to spark conversation with people who might have been total strangers (pardon the pun). Most of the people smoking there were not daily smokers.

By comparison, there is no smoking at all in the parties that I attend today (where attendees are generally 35+).

edselehr
    Participant

Cigarette smoking is definitely on the wane. And you can almost bet that Big Tobacco is going to put the full force of their political and financial might behind the next wave of intoxication: vaping and the steadily increasing legalization of marijuana. If there is something out there that is mood-altering and unhealthy to consume, the tobacco companies will be on it.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Tobacco is more unhealthy to consume than pot, hands down.

And I hope Big Tobacco goes out of business soon and that they don’t infiltrate the pot industry. I’d prefer to see the pot industry remain more of a “craft” industry.

paulwalker
    Participant

I don’t find this trend surprising for a number of reasons.

First, I think the legalization in Washington, Colorado, and eventually Oregon, has reduced the stigma.

Secondly, the tobacco industry is suffering mainly due to high taxes, the health issue, and a general displacement of smokers. Where can you smoke today? These areas are becoming harder and harder to find. As an aside, many newer hotels are now “smoke-free”.

Of course this begs the question, “where can you smoke pot?”. Generally, you need to be inside your place of residence. Public display is not accepted in most areas, however, in some large venues I don’t think it can be prevented.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Hmm. Back in the early 70’s there were more pot smokers then cigarette smokers where I went through college. There were more beer drinkers than anything else.

Vitalogy, big tobacco will not die because they have bought into big food including but not limited to some major brands like Post Cereal, Jello, Nabisco and Kraft. I’m not sure when they saw the writing on the wall, but check this out:

http://www.lassencoe.org/tfree/6-8/Fact%20Sheets/Companies%20owned%20by%20Big%20Tobacco.pdf

Every dollar you spend on Tobacco Companies’ non-tobacco products directly supports their ability to market their deadly products to youth.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

It was almost 10 years ago that Oregon banned smoking inside bars. A few years earlier, New York City made headlines for banning smoking in its bars. Today, there are only ten states that do not have statewide anti-smoking laws covering bars. However, in those ten states, city laws can enact bans. For people under 25, cigarette smoking was generally never part of pub culture.

Furthermore, in recent years there have been universities and colleges that have completely banned smoking throughout the campus. Students are not even allowed to smoke in public outdoor spaces (PCC is an example of such an institution).

However, looking at the global picture, I don’t think that cigarettes are going to go away any time soon (or even within my lifetime). Europe is still much more tolerant of smoking than the US. Smoking is still very prevalent in parts of the Middle East and Asia.

Amus
    Participant

Sometime in that last year or so I traveled to a state (I cannot remember which) that does not ban smoking in bars.

It was a Sunday night and the options for finding a place open where I could get a burger and a beer were pretty limited.

I found an open bar that looked reasonably safe and was practically knocked over by smoke.

I ended up grabbing something at Burger King and went back to the hotel.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

At least they’ll have a valid excuse for graduating stupid.

paulwalker
    Participant

Who on here is old enough to remember smoking “sections”, in restaurants, airplanes, airports, smoking lounges for teachers in schools?

The smoking section in airplanes was normally in the back, but that was the biggest joke as everyone knows the air is recirculated in airliners.

Today, even some hotels are all non-smoking, as I mentioned previously. As for pot, I have noticed in my travels around Washington, many hotels have signs saying they do not allow it anywhere on the property for the comfort of all guests.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

When I was in college, our dormitory cafeteria had a smoking section. The ashtrays were of the same style (thin stamped metal) as one might have found at fast food restaurants up through the 1980s. In my recollection, one tended to find a higher concentration of art, photography, and film students in that section of the cafeteria.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.