March '15 Neilsen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

K103 has tied its December report with 9.8! That’s way up from anything before December but they’ve looked pretty good since the Holiday book, going 9.0-9.4-9.8. Z100 is second with 7.1 which is probably the highest I’ve seen them since their heyday! The Eagle is third(not counting KOPB). That gives IHeart Radio a win, place and show!

Andy Brown
    Participant

That gives IHeart Radio a win, place and show!

Too bad their debt to income ratio is grim, disgrace and blow.

http://tinyurl.com/mgaz8dn

“Clear”ly the most cold blooded company in America.

W7PAT
    Participant

I just wonder how much money iHeart spends paying off the PPM company in each major market? None of their station are of good programming, yet they all get high rankings. Sure makes me wonder.

semoochie
    Participant

It depends on the market. They do better in Portland than they do in others. A lot of this has to do with what they were able to purchase. I see nothing wrong with their programming and apparently, neither do most people.

msndrspdx
    Participant

It would be interesting to compare their ratings right now with other cities of similar size around the nation. Have the tastes of the public turned that bad, or is the Anwrican Idol factor bigger than we thought?

Best, Mike 😉

Andy Brown
    Participant

“I see nothing wrong with their programming and apparently, neither do most people.”

“Most people” are no longer (and IMO never were) represented by ratings results. Only those people in the ratings system are being tallied, and as has been discussed numerous times before, PPM has resulted in smaller pools of sample data due to the high cost of meters.

Oh, and their corporate programming does suck. msndrspdx is correct, to a point, the tastes of the people in the ratings sample have gotten that bad. Fact is, they have no taste. It’s all about the money. Ratings have always been bought and sold. If you believe they are accurate across the general public, you have fallen for the scam. They are important (ratings) because of the way the advertising world has evolved, not because of their accuracy or as is the case, lack thereof.

Think of it this way, if there were no ratings who would stand to lose more, the big market radio graups or the individual owners (the few that are left) in the big or any size market for that matter?

semoochie
    Participant

If there were no ratings, major advertisers would have no way to reach their target audiences and all sales would have to be local direct. If it weren’t for radio groups, radio wouldn’t have developed much past the experimental stage into anything that anyone would want to listen to. PPM just shows what had been thought all along, that the amount of listening to certain formats was exaggerated with the diary and incidental listening was dismissed by the participants.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Totally disagree with every point you didn’t make.

If there were no ratings, major advertisers would have to have human connection to the market to know where to advertise.

If there were no radio groups, radio would have continued to develop as it had been all along. It did quite well before 1996. It certainly was more in touch with its listeners even without the internet. Your statement “wouldn’t have developed” is ludicrous.

PPM is a scam. It doesn’t show anything other than what a few paid “listeners” (should be called “paid tuner inners” or “paid button pressers”) fake for the sake of getting their paycheck. Phony as a three dollar bill.

Ratings are bought and sold. It’s a prime defect of the symbiosis between radio and advertising.

semoochie
    Participant

I thought I’d borrow an old thread to ask the musical question, Why have Charlie’s ratings gone up lately? In May, they were up to #3.

semoochie
    Participant

I see that in the July ratings, K103 finally got that elusive ten share we were talking about, 10.2 to be exact.

radiodork
    Spectator

How is 105.9 The Brew doing? I can’t imagine well with a stale 10 song playlist. Rumor has it they are evoloving into an ACTIVE ROCK format. Can any insiders confirm this?

e_dawg
    Participant

I heard radio dork is smoking too many weed. He knows $h!t when it comes to radio industry.

radiodork
    Spectator

E Dawg – I know absolutely EVERYTHING about radio and the radio industry. I have a PHD in Radio-ology, i have studied radio all my life and listen to the radio 24 hours a day 365 days a week. E Dawg you need to bow down to my radio expertise/awesomeness.

semoochie
    Participant

The Brew is consistently in the three and four share range and just edged by KGON. I don’t expect them to become Active Rock and screw it up.

radiodork
    Spectator

Looks like KBFF -Live 95.5 is Ripe and ready for a format change. Plus we dont need two top 40 stations-that play disposable crap. One is plenty. Top 40 is so un-listenable i dont know how those stations stay afloat.
    My suggestion would be to blow up Live 95.5 and change it to an active Rock station( a format that portland desperately needs).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.