MANY IN NATION TIRED OF EXPLAINING THINGS TO IDIOTS

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things MANY IN NATION TIRED OF EXPLAINING THINGS TO IDIOTS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

New Yorker Magazine reports:

Many Americans are tired of explaining things to idiots, particularly when the things in question are so painfully obvious, a new poll indicates.

According to the poll, conducted by the University of Minnesota’s Opinion Research Institute, while millions have been vexed for some time by their failure to explain incredibly basic information to dolts, that frustration has now reached a breaking point.

Of the many obvious things that people are sick and tired of trying to get through the skulls of stupid people, the fact that climate change will cause catastrophic habitat destruction and devastating extinctions tops the list, with a majority saying that they will no longer bother trying to explain this to cretins.

Coming in a close second, statistical proof that gun control has reduced gun deaths in countries around the world is something that a significant number of those polled have given up attempting to break down for morons.

Finally, a majority said that trying to make idiots understand why a flag that symbolizes bigotry and hatred has no business flying over a state capitol only makes the person attempting to explain this want to put his or her fist through a wall.

In a result that suggests a dismal future for the practice of explaining things to idiots, an overwhelming number of those polled said that they were considering abandoning such attempts altogether, with a broad majority agreeing with the statement, “This country is exhausting.”

Andy Brown
    Participant

Clearly applicable around here. Every two years around here we seem to get an influx of idiots. Some ramp up slowly, posing as ‘radio’ interested members but bloom into flaming idiots. dork, take a bow.

Others are so egregiously counter productive to discussions of almost any topic, they are banned only to sneak back on the board where their only purpose is to flame and troll. F&Bacon comes to mind.

Anyway, just to be clear, ask yourself this: Have either of these guys provided any worthwhile content to the discussion or are they simply trying to hijack the discussion(s) on the political side?

Whereas there will be vehement disagreement between the progressive and conservative schools of thought, and as many times as F&Bacon has whined about being persecuted because of his views, isn’t it clear to everyone that is not the case? It is about the content and context they don’t provide. Restating the position of the NRA is insufficient to be post worthy without some context, otherwise it is just a waste of bandwidth. I could go on, but it’s not necessary.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I think that what exists on this side of the board is on the level of religious dogma, not discussion. People come here with their minds made up, and they vainly try to gain converts.

LurkingGrendel
    Participant

With respect, that’s false equivalency. SOME people, may very well be like that. I don’t think it’s the majority.

While I, and many others, clearly have strong opinions they are not immutable. I can in detail substantiate why I hold a certain position, clearly articulate how I arrived at it, and am always open to being swayed to a contrary viewpoint if offered compelling or thought provoking information I had previously been unaware of. Fact based information, critical thinking, and objective reasoning are dear to me. Politically speaking, I’m not only happy to seek middle ground and compromise, I actively call for it from elected officials. (We of course have one political party who’s entire purpose and call to being is to never compromise about anything regardless of the viewpoints and opinions held by the majority of the electorate. As a matter of documentable fact, they often act in outright defiance of the common good.)

Contrast that with the active idiocy of Dork or the offensive obstinacy of Pope Bacon.

The former is an inarticulate boob. The latter takes a retrograde and borderline medieval dogmatic line 100% of the time and is seemingly a contrarian simply for the sake of being so.

Both are unwilling or unable to admit error of any kind about anything at any time. Both live for obfuscation. Neither has a great deal of interest in answering direct questions in an honest manner. If President Obama told them the sky was blue they’d throw a temper tantrum and claim it was green. That’s a bit of a hyperbolic metaphor, but not really inaccurate.

To Andy’s point, climate change is real and is caused by human activity. There is a direct and provable correlation between the proliferation of military grade weaponry in civilian hands and the increasing frequency and deadliness of mass shootings. Calling for banning members of an entire religious group is the definition of bigotry. Stating that someone cannot do their job due to their racial heritage is the definition of racism. A host of racist organizations are in fact actively supporting the Republican nominee for the Presidency. And on and on.

Those are not debate points. Those are facts. Facts some refuse to admit. How can you have a discussion in the fact of pure idiocy?

Political action is only borne of compromise. Engaging discussion can only occur when there’s a direct, candid, and above all honest, exchange of information and contrasting of viewpoints. I’d welcome such from anyone.

We do not get it from the Dorks of the board. While he’s not alone, he’s probably the most egregious and recent example of someone whom adds nothing to a discussion. He posts things that are provably untrue. He confuses opinions with fact and rumor with news. He repeats the same tired lies that are endlessly repeated among the deepest holes of the ultra-conservative id without an iota of critical self-awareness. He slaps ups ridiculous links to stories of dubious at best journalistic worth as if doing so proves anything to anyone. He does not answer direct questions; not matter how they are phrased. He’s intellectually dishonest to a comical degree. My personal favorite (and also recent) example:

Dork finds some polling that shows Trump at parity with or even slightly ahead of Hillary. He’s ebullient. He simply couldn’t be anymore smug and happy. He utterly ignores everyone who has a contrary position; up to and including those whom offer detailed analysis of how national elections actually function and that polls that show Trump (or Hillary for that matter) in a commanding position may be somewhat misleading as all of the decisions this fall are made at a state level and more importantly are tied to the electoral college. The point being of course, that Trump is facing an extremely difficult (electoral) map that he’s made worse seemingly be the day. Never mind that Trump is an odious toad who espouses ignorance, racism and bigotry. Dork and others have no problem with that, apparently. The point being, he’s a troll.

Some days later, the polls look much worse for Herr Trump. Someone posts that. Dork’s sulky contribution to that discussion? “The polls change every week”. Then he scuttled off.

This from the moron who started the polling argument in the first place and wouldn’t listen or even respond to anyone whom had a cogent point to offer.

THAT, is the problem. It’s not everyone.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

OK, then I will take a stab at saying something jaded that has been said over and over again. Do not be disappointed when Trump doesn’t win.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The right wing zealots know Trump won’t win. Being total assholes during the next months is the only way they can billboard their evil messages of greed, avarice and incompetence. Malfeasance is their legacy.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

This site’s constant state of decline is nothing at all new. It really started when the politics section was introduced years ago (IMHO, the detriment of any discussion site). Look at the archive.org links I posted in another thread.

Now if Dan were to change it to “Other Things (no politics permitted)” or something to that effect then he would have my full support. By the way, “no politics permitted” also would cover religion since they are so closely interrelated.

Amus
    Participant

And yet, here you are.

Langston
    Participant

Don’t feed the trolls. It is not that difficult.

Amus
    Participant

Gouge isn’t so much a troll as he is a curmudgeon.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Gouge is partially correct. There was an era where there were no sections to the message board, and any user could start a topic about anything. Most of the discussion threads started regarding a radio topic, but even some of these would meander into something else (often of a political nature). This message board experience proved frustrating to some users.

Rather than imposing censorship (say, by deleting posts and disabling user accounts), Dan decided that it would be better to create a sandbox area called “Politics and Other Things.” The simple rule that went along with this change was that discussions on the radio side of the board were to stay on-topic, while the “Politics and Other Things” side was meant to be more free-wheeling (and loosely moderated). In this way, people looking only for radio-related discussions could simply ignore the “Politics and Other Things” section.

I disagree that the “Politics and Other Things” section has scared people away from wanting to participate on the site. Instead, I think that the reason why the radio side sometimes feels like Orenco in the late 1930s are that:

1) Many radio professionals have lost their jobs due to downsizing, consolidation, and technological changes.

2) LinkedIn provides a private way to find and connect with people in one’s industry.

3) Facebook provides a way to establish a network of one’s own choosing (Facebook friends) and to communicate with people from within that network.

4) The people who are still in the business likely see their jobs as more precious and harder to replace. They would thus be leery of participating on public forums, which their managers or the competition might be reading.

Chris_Taylor
    Participant

I like what you said, Alfredo.

I may not post like I used too, but I do lurk, read and follow many of links from those whom I feel have a much better understanding of politics than I do. Plus, they’ve been quite accurate with predictions over the years.

This is still a guilty pleasure kind of message board for me, and happy that Dan has taken a hands off approach (except in some cases).

Andy Brown
    Participant

Trump is benefiting from a GOP electorate that thinks Barack Obama is a Muslim and was born in another country, and that immigrant children should be deported. 66% of Trump’s supporters believe that Obama is a Muslim to just 12% that grant he’s a Christian. 61% think Obama was not born in the United States to only 21% who accept that he was. And 63% want to amend the Constitution to eliminate birthright citizenship, to only 20% who want to keep things the way they are.

Trump’s beliefs represent the consensus among the GOP electorate. 51% overall want to eliminate birthright citizenship. 54% think President Obama is a Muslim. And only 29% grant that President Obama was born in the United States. That’s less than the 40% who think Canadian born Ted Cruz was born in the United States.
    That’s right, 61 percent of Trump supporters think Obama was born in Kenya, while 66 percent believe he’s a Muslim. And these people vote. They’re so completely misinformed by this orange Stay-Puft man, they still believe after all these years that the birth certificate is fake and that Obama’s parents perpetrated a hoax.

Worse, 71 percent of Republicans overall don’t think Obama was born in Hawaii — while 60 percent accurately believe Ted Cruz wasn’t born in the United States. In other words, the white guy who wasn’t born here was definitely born here. But the black guy who was absolutely born here wasn’t born here and is lying. If you need any further proof of virulent racism, especially among Trump people, there it is.

http://thedailybanter.com/2015/09/a-new-gop-poll-proves-trump-supporters-are-mostly-idiots-and-racists/

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Ironically, some of my favo(u)rite non-Portland radio specific discussions on this board have been started by Gouge/Motozak3, on subjects such as vintage technologies and 1960s-70s era beautiful music.

skeptical
    Participant

Alfredo, at this point I don’t think one side could survive without the other. The current state of the terrestrial radio biz in too uninteresting to draw me to a radio-only board so thanks to the political junkies who found a home her, Dan’s site lives on!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.