Male Beards

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

OK, this isn’t anything new, but it is advancing quickly. Male facial hair has obviously made a comeback. Not sure where the latest origin begun, but many celebs and professional baseball players perhaps started this redo in the late first decade of the 2000’s.

Now, it seems that almost every male is sporting facial hair. Advertisers have taken note, and most male figures in commercials now sport it.

Question…has this become the norm? Does it work for business interviews? Bushy or trimmed, which is better? And can some not really grow a good beard?

Peer pressure among adult males? I think so.

I have to admit, after shaving my face clean the past 40 years, I am following suit. I don’t think it looks bad, but I wonder why I am doing it. Just to fit in? Or does this actually make my face more appealing? Or is it just a fad? I have suddenly taken an interest in this subject. Opinions wanted.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Beards are overrated. Personally, I can’t go more than 4 days without having to shave. Otherwise I might rip my face off.

Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

Yea, I thought facial hair was out. Where on earth did you hear it was making a comeback Paul? I might have to go dig out my white Brittanias now…

What about chest hair? In or out? lol

paulwalker
    Participant

boss I am basing this on a number of factors but mainly the fact that advertisers on TV show men with beards 90% of the time. this is definitely a trend and I think I am seeing this in real life as well.

paulwalker
    Participant

as for chest hair I don’t think that really has changed much as most guys really don’t care

Andy Brown
    Participant

β€œOr is it just a fad?”

Yes.

I do not agree that it is a fad because it is neither intense enough nor widely shared enough, two parts of the generally accepted definition to be a fad. Also, it is not short lived enough to be a fad (another part of defining a fad) having a long history reaching back to the ancients.

It’s more of a trend then anything resembling a fad IMO. Paul referred to it as such in his second post.

Also, Paul is not in Portland. I do not see any more beards in Portland business establishment then I observed 5, 10, or 35 years ago. The trend of beards in self employment does seem to be at a high level, but that comes and goes. As we head into the next recession, a lot of those beards will get shaved.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Having lived in the Portland area since the late 1990s, I never noticed that beards went away. Actually, the show Portlandia once parodied its own theme song with “The dream of the 1890s is alive in Portland!” This was a reference to handlebar mustaches and similar vintage looks that hipsters in this area tend to sport.

To me, it seems more odd to look at photos, television, films, and advertisements from the 1950s through the mid 1960s, where virtually nobody had beards or mustaches.

edselehr
    Participant

I’ve had a trimmed beard or goatee for a number of years, not by any particular design. For most of the last 30 years, I kept it because my (ex) wife preferred it on me, and since I didn’t have to look at it I kept it. I think I look better with stubbly beard, but my girlfriend doesn’t appreciate the face rash that happens when I kiss her, so I try to keep it just long enough to not be abrasive.

After so long, being clean-shaven just looks weird on me, so I’ll probably just keep the beard.

paulwalker
    Participant

Perhaps I wasn’t clear in my original post. The beard trend has been going on for years, (really for centuries), and the “fad, or trend” tends to come and go.

My point was that we are seeing many more males sporting facial hair in the past year or two. There must be something driving this. The media has picked up on it, and if you really pay attention, you will see beards, or atleast semi-beards on about 80% of males, either in a tv series, or in a commercial. This is the big climate change, here. My curiousity is as to why. I have my ideas, but again would like to hear yours.

Is it that males need to reclaim masclinity? Is it males just trying to fit in? Or something else? I find this topic quite interesting and very few are talking about it.

skeptical
    Participant

I never understood the whole male shaving thing. Do you guys LIKE to shave every day? I don’t. So what’s the appeal? Sex? If you have to shave to have sex (or keep a mate), that’s just sad.

I’m not saying society should go the full on ZZ Top, but a weekly beard trim ought to be the ticket.

duxrule
    Participant

Fashions come and go. This year, it’s beards. The next thing could be stripes and plaids. It’s just part of the ebb and flow over “what’s cool,” IMO.

missing_kskd
    Participant

Seems ordinary to me. I’ve not really noted a trend.

Personally, I generally hate the coarse facial hair. Clean shaven is best, but for the occasional lazy time. Camping is one of those times.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I typed “beards make a comeback” into a search engine, and it seems that others have noticed the trend. According to John Tesh (who cited a report in MSNBC) and the BBC, the comeback is, indeed, about trying to express masculinity. The beards are a backlash against the “metrosexual” fashions of a few years ago.

The BBC story (see http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27023992 ) goes a bit further and discusses what the scientific community’s hypothesis about the trend. The scientific thinking is that these kinds of pendulum shifts are driven by a desire to stand out to potential mates. The thinking is that when something like a clean-shaven face becomes ubiquitous, individuals who do something different really stand out.

jr_tech
    Participant

I’ve had a beard for so long, I hardly notice if other people have one or if there is a trend. I initially grew it to kinda hide a double chin in my “fat era”… In a few years, I might have to grow it long to comb over the top. πŸ™‚

duxrule
    Participant

19 Facts You Never Knew About Beards
    http://distractify.com/megan-mccormick/facts-about-beards/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.