Majority of police force quits after Missouri town elects first black mayor

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Majority of police force quits after Missouri town elects first black mayor

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Vitalogy
    Participant

Most of the police force and several city officials quit their post in the tiny Missouri town of Parma last week after the city elected its first black mayor, leaving the mayor struggling to understand whether the mass resignation was tied to the divisive racial issues that have racked the state or the signs of a corruption ring.

Incoming Mayor Tyrus Byrd, who is eight months pregnant, had five of six police officers, the city collector and the official previously in charge of waste water management quit before she officially took office last week. The city officials cited “safety concerns” in their resignations.

As a result of the mass resignation, Ms. Byrd began discussing with the Parma City treasurer and lawyer her options for investigating the true reason for the departures — which some speculate could be race.

“To be honest with you, I don’t know what it is,” Ms. Byrd said in an interview with The Washington Times. “I would like to know that. I was told that the reason they resigned was safety issues. I was also told that the reason they resigned was that I didn’t come up and do a meet-and-greet with them.”

In January, Ms. Byrd, 40, took on incumbent Randall Ramsey, a white man who had overseen city operations for more than three decades, because she said the city was deteriorating under his watch. Mr. Ramsey lost the election by 38 votes to Ms. Byrd, who only spent a few hundred dollars on campaign materials and promised voters that she would work with them to collectively bringing change to the city administration.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/21/most-police-quit-mo-town-elects-1st-black-mayor/

Deane Johnson
    Participant

She should simply hire new employees and move on. A town of 740 people doesn’t need 6 police officers.

Vitalogy
    Participant

I’m sure she will move on just fine. But let’s not kid ourselves of the “why’s” behind what happened.

Amus
    Participant

I too thought the ratio of 6 cops for a population of 740 was a bit high.

But using that logic;

Rosa Parks should have moved on too.
    There’d have been another bus along eventually.

EDIT:

Re-thinking the ratio of 6 cops to population,

Presumably they’re doing shifts.
    That’s 2 cops on duty for three shifts.

jr_tech
    Participant

According to one account that I read, 3 were part-time.

Deane Johnson
    Participant

“I’m sure she will move on just fine. But let’s not kid ourselves of the “why’s” behind what happened.”

The “why” makes no difference. They are entitled to think whatever they wish. The mindset that liberals should have thought control over everyone is a bit on the sick side.

They made their move, she’s the boss, she should simply replace them and move on with her new administration.

My guess is that it’s not totally that she’s black as you want to make it. My guess would be that a large part of it is the guy she beat in the election was part of the cozy little “good ol boy” network and this too has them uptight.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Good ol boy networks by and large are racist and sexist by nature.

duxrule
    Participant

It looks to me like that “good ol’ boy network” that had been in place for nearly four decades was about to get its comeuppance. These guys got out before the shit hit the fan.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.