Main Studio Rule…gone…

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Broadway 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Broadway
    Participant

Andy Brown
    Participant

Pathetic. Totally against it. This is like giving tax breaks to the wealthy. All this does is cut mega-group costs and eliminate even more broadcast jobs. These groups stopped serving the local community years ago and Chairman Pai’s statement “broadcasters have shown that the main studio rule is a continuous cost that keeps them from serving their local communities in meaningful ways, like broadcasting additional local programming” is total bullshit.

Broadway
    Participant

>>Totally against it
    Agreed…cut my teeth in radio in the 70’s and it was all about localism…programming…sales…PR…all for your city alone…in the 80’s Reagan said yes to widening the translator rule and all that began to change radio’s focus…sadly.

Scott Young
    Participant

A friend of mine posed the question on Facebook whether this would cost local jobs or not. I replied that it probably wouldn’t be worth doing if it didn’t cost jobs.

Andy Brown
    Participant

The current Chairman of the FCC is going to further damage the recovery hopes of radio and instead push it further into irrelevance. Apparently the colossal failure of Chump Channel has gone unnoticed by those that can fix the problem.

Broadway
    Participant

Alfredo_T
    Participant

What is required at a main studio? I have read that there is not a definite list of items available. However, past FCC actions have outlined that an inspection should reveal the following:

• A publicly accessible space (such as a business office) that is open between 9:00 and 5:00, Monday through Friday
    • The public inspection file
    • Two station employees, one of whom must be a manager
    • Equipment for origination of programming
    • Transmitter telemetry/control equipment

Some years ago, KBMS was fined because the main studio location was closed when the FCC inspector paid a surprise visit.

Broadway
    Participant

Andy Brown
    Participant

Thanks for posting that.

Fortunately, the way policy is formed at the FCC puts a lot of influence in the hands of all broadcasters, not just the behemoth sloths that have been working to destroy radio since 1996.

This is clearly a manifestation of the GOP politics that now not only rules the government (for a little while longer, self implosion is already begun in the executive and legislative branches) but also has not changed their motis operandi in 50 years to give to the big and wealthy and take from the small and middle class.

Apparently the boors of group radio believe this is the only way to cut even further the ranks of broadcast employment to drive their overhead down and any profits up.

Hey, if you can’t make a profit when you own 900, 500, 100 or even 50 radio stations that are mostly automated, you don’t belong in the business.

More small broadcasters need to step up and make the lives of these group owners miserable by doing creative, live, informative and enjoyable radio.

Broadway
    Participant

More latest input….asking…what happened to the city of license responsibility?
    http://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/0002/perspectives-range-widely-on-main-studio-rule/339865

streamingmedia
    Participant

Not sure if they still do or not but when it was known as “Jammin 955” their COL was Banks. I live there and stream their PBP. One day I went in to the city hall and asked them about it. They said they did have a business license on file with the city. It’s 35 for a business license! Stations should be required to have an office of some sort in the city they’re licensed to. At the least a sales office, but preferably a studio.

paulwalker
    Participant

As a former Op Manager, this will be a major change. One of the principle jobs of an OM was to maintain the public file, or atleast oversee it. Also to be available and knowledgeable if an FCC inspection were to occur. Apparently this will no longer be required except at a corporate level. I understand some of these old rules are outdated, but it is another example of how radio is phasing out of any relevance. May take a another decade or two, but the writing is on the wall, just not on the wall of the studio.

semoochie
    Participant

If it’s a major change, does that mean that anyone can file on top of it? 🙂 107.5 is licensed to Banks. 95.5 is the old KXL-FM and has always been licensed to Portland.

streamingmedia
    Participant

Thanks semoochie for the correction. Couldn’t remember for sure I remembered there was a 5 in the frequency

Broadway
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.