Macy's to close four NW stores

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    paulwalker
    Participant

Roseburg, North Bend in Oregon, downtown Spokane, and Moscow, Idaho. Poor sales at these and 36 others around the country mostly in the east. Of course Macy’s took over the Bon Marche in Washington and Meier & Frank in Oregon. They do offer generally quality merchandise, but you will pay for that obviously.

The downtown Spokane store is pretty big news, as this city has prided itself as still being a true downtown shopping area. The only major left is Nordstrom. Any bets on how long they will stay with this announcement? Big loss.

washnotore
    Participant

Not surprising Roseburg and Coos Bay are locations to be closing. The mall in Roseburg already lost the Sears store a few years back. Another nearby Macys store that could close. Is at Three Rivers Mall in Longview/Kelso. That place is becoming a dead mall.

But one Macys store back east that was expected close. Is at Military Circle Mall, in Norfolk, VA. The entire mall will be empty soon. If you think the Lloyd Center looks bad.

Military Circle is a lot worst. Too many young kids (PC Here). Are using that mall as nothing more then a hang out.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Not surprising to see the stores in these markets closing. They can’t afford Macy’s anymore! Not that Macy’s is expensive (I don’t think so at least) but those communities are forever relegated to shopping at Walmart or second hand stores.

Amus
    Participant

In the race to the bottom, the bottom is winning.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Actually, the bottom is not winning. They only think they are. Which is even more sad.

paulwalker
    Participant

Macy’s survives in Portland, Seattle, and Spokane (suburban locations). Also in Eugene, Tri-Cities, and Tacoma. I may be missing some locations, please fill me in.

Brianl
    Participant

The one in downtown Spokane surprises me as well, Paul. The city has done a fantastic job of revitalizing downtown, River Park Square was completely rebuilt (amid much controversy), and it is now a very safe and nice place.

At least they still have the one up in Northtown Mall, I guess.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Good article, Paul. Used to do Xmas shopping there. Bought perfume for the wife. They wrapped it up real nice too. Store was like an icon to me. Too bad.
    Stores that still exist here are: Downtown. W. Square. L. Center. CTC. Van Mall. And Tanasborne. Not sure about Salem, Medford, or Bend. Valley River Mall in Eugene does have a Macy’s.

Dxer1969
    Participant

Ok, Paul. I cheated! Salem, Bend, and Medford do have Macy’s.

duxrule
    Participant

While most of the mall is Kelso is a tomb, the Macy’s store actually does some pretty good business. Still, I’m pretty sure that the Damocles sword is dangling, and that store can’t be too far down the list when the next rounds of belt-tightening come.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

“and Meier & Frank in Washington and Oregon.”

Fixed; they had stores in Washington too.

I’m kind of surprised they didn’t put the Van Mall store on the chopping block as well. Anybody remember what happened to Nordy’s last year? But I guess they must be doing enough business. Macy’s shutting down would probably pound Vancouver Mall in the ass HARD.

paulwalker
    Participant

“they had stores in Washington too.”

They had a store in Washington, in Vancouver.

Fixed again.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

But one Macys store back east that was expected close. Is at Military Circle Mall, in Norfolk, VA. The entire mall will be empty soon. If you think the Lloyd Center looks bad.

Sure enough, the Military Circle Mall location you described is on the closing block:
    http://www.oregonlive.com/window-shop/index.ssf/2016/01/macys_closures_full_list.html#incart_river_index

Re: the Downtown Spokane location; that’s a real head-scratcher. Still had the original script “BM” lettering over the entrance IIRC. KXLY had an article on their website last night that it could be redeveloped into mixed-use retail/condos. I do know they’re expanding the convention center there and adding a hotel on some of the blocks that were parking, so perhaps downtown construction could have been a factor. If nothing else, they could always blame it on the bus stations.

Speaking of empty/dead malls, if circumstances take you to the Mall 205 area and you’ve time to burn, take a stroll through the mall itself (not the area that’s now claimed by Target or Home Deopt). Dead in every sense of the word. Heard that DMV has since expanded, and at one end there’s an upper office level that houses some sort of state child support office.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

Sounds like 205 must be turning into Multnomah’s Tower Mall.

Dxer1969
    Participant

The Mall in Aberdeen, WA. Has to take the prize for deadest Mall. At least, the food court was good. Fish & Chips they had were very good. Even the Sears was dead. Parking? Easy as pie!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.