LPFM Portland Metro Review: Licensed-CP's-Applications

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio LPFM Portland Metro Review: Licensed-CP's-Applications

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 427 total)
  • Author
    davidm
    Participant

Hope I’ll still be able to pick up KISN on my commute once I’m over Sylvan … good playlist even if not truly oldies only … KQRZ has a really great format with all the classic TV clips combined with a solid oldies playlist; I’m a radio-loving dinosaur new to LPFM … is it a growing trend or a dying breed?

Andy Brown
    Participant

More of a peaking trend. Money issues and flagrant disregard for the rules (see the petition to deny xray’s transfer of control request) are beginning to catch up with the low power movement. Many non profits that got talked into filing applications and building out are finding that the monthly overhead is more than they can handle.

semoochie
    Participant

“Hope I’ll still be able to pick up KISN on my commute once I’m over Sylvan … good playlist even if not truly oldies only … KQRZ has a really great format with all the classic TV clips combined with a solid oldies playlist; I’m a radio-loving dinosaur new to LPFM … is it a growing trend or a dying breed?” All of the songs were “hits” from the 50s through the 70s(with a rare later song from an artist of that period). How is it not Oldies only? KQRZ plays too many unfamiliar songs back to back and too many standards to be anything more than a curiosity.

davidm
    Participant

Thanks for the info Andy guess everything just has to become a convoluted bureaucratic cluster. Such a pity because I so like the idea that FM could become dominated by small operators as big corporate-owned stations desperately juggle formats trying to stay relevant and profitable. semoochie – I’m so old that I’ve seen classic rock become oldies, and oldies have mostly disappeared from FM. As for KQRZ, whatever you call it they are right in my wheelhouse (I’m kind of a curiosity myself).

Andy Brown
    Participant

KXRU The Portland Russian Media Center, at my urging, has filed an informal objection to Salem Media’s attempt to move their AM Revitalization translator to 105.5 MHz.

Legal:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101769900&qnum=5000&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

Technical:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101769900&qnum=5000&copynum=1&exhcnum=2

Kudos to Boise Bill for letting us know about this.

Towers & Such 2017

Andy Brown
    Participant

KFFD Beaverton 98.3 has applied to modify its CP up in the west hills, moving significantly lower in height AMSL to a site not far from where the CP is. They are still proposing to be only 30 feet above the ground, which is a big weakness with all the trees up there.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I guess I can expect to not hear much on 98.3 MHz for some time to come, then. I can hear KPPK in some parts of the West Side on a car radio but reception from my home location is very poor. I bet that I will hear Vietnamese on 860 kHz and 1550 kHz before there is a carrier on 98.3 MHz.

Andy Brown
    Participant

KOUV 107.9 has applied yet once again to move its transmitter site to somewhere where it will work. The distance is more than allowed, so a waiver is requested.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101773833&qnum=5100&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

Andy Brown
    Participant

Previous post application request granted.

Bustos has filed applications for two new translators as part of the AM Revitalization Plan on 101.5 and 99.9, both of which are going to severely curtail LPFM reception on those channels. For more info, go to Towers and Such 2017.

https://feedback.pdxradio.com/forums/topic/towers-such-2017/page/5/#post-33758

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Not too long ago, I heard music on 101.5 that sounded much like the “Old School Station” that briefly aired on 96.7. The music mix was late 1980s and 1990s dance music and hip-hop. I did not listen through the top of the hour, so I was not able to catch a legal ID. I wonder whether the station (KXYQ-LP) is being signed on briefly to keep the license active.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

DING DING DING !!! We have a DX WINNER !!!
    Congradulations, Alfredo T. You heard KGMW-LP of the Klamath County School District broadcasting atop the Chiloqium High School Gymnasium. Once again, Congradulations!

‘Tis that time of year.

jr_tech
    Participant

Alfredo… was that in aug when several heard testing from the Cooper Mt. lp stations or have you heard activity since then.

LPFM Portland Metro Review: Licensed-CP's-Applications

jr

note: the link should be to page 21 post #31458 of the thread, but doesn’t seem to work correctly.

Andy Brown
    Participant
    jr_tech
    Participant

Thanks AB, weird that my link to the post goes to the thread beginning.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

The saga continues for Ben Grad and the folks at TOOLBOX PDX, KXYQ-LP and commonfrequency.org.
    FCC posted today:
    https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101775219&formid=319&fac_num=195722
    Form 319 amends Toolbox PDX Construction Permit. Seems financial engagements for the full power FM near Madras – OR, including with a local automobile dealership, failed to materialize. Shame. Although KWSO-FM provides its market with excellent service, Madras, Warm Springs and Grandview need another non-Bend alternative.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 427 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.