LPFM Portland Metro Review: Licensed-CP's-Applications

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio LPFM Portland Metro Review: Licensed-CP's-Applications

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 427 total)
  • Author
    Alfredo_T
    Participant

I was driving in Beaverton about an hour ago, and I heard KFFD-LP. They were experiencing major technical problems. The signal appeared extremely weak, and it was going on for a bit less then a second and going of for about one second to a few seconds.

Andy Brown
    Participant

KFFD 98.3 has filed an amendment to their 319 Application for License to Cover substituting a different antenna. Apparently there was something broken in the one they were trying to use.

KVNX 97.5 Rusting Sprocket Vancouver has filed a CP Mod to move to a temporary site at 50 watts which has been granted and they have also filed their 319 Application for License to Cover the CP. This has all taken place this week.

KOUV 107.9 Vancouver has filed a 319 for License to Cover their recent CP Mod.

Andy Brown
    Participant

KFFD’s CP Mod has been granted and their Application for License to Cover has been Accepted For Filing

KVNX’s CP Mod has been granted.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

K288FT 105.5 is now back on the air (with low modulation levels). From my location in Hillsboro, it completely covers up KXRU-LP and KUKN. The DXing was fun while it lasted!

Note: I also noted that there is a delay of about a second or so between the audio on 91.9 and 105.5. This leads me to think that an Internet feed is being used to feed the transmitters.

Andy Brown
    Participant

KOUV 107.9 Vancouver and KVNX 97.5 Vancouver are now fully licensed. I assume they are broadcasting but these days it’s hard to know whether they are or just faking it and preparing to file an STA for silent authority.

Let us know.

List of still outstanding CP’s below. It does not include Licensed LPFM’s or C.P.’s held by existing licensed LPFM’s making changes. For a complete list of LPFM’s Licensed and CP’s within the radius use the link at the bottom.

By CP expiration date:

2/4/2017 104.5 DKVPB Vernonia (deleted)
    2/6/2017 99.9 KXRW Vancouver (received 30 day weather related extension)
    8/20/2017 101.5 KDOO Portland East side
    8/20/2017 105.5 NEW Salem
    8/21/2017 89.5 Portland
    8/21/2017 96.7 NEW Portland West side
    8/22/2017 91.1 NEW Salem
    9/22/2017 96.7 NEW Portland East side
    1/5/2018 101.5 NEW Portland SW side
    5/6/2018 100.7 KBSF/KRJJ Portland timeshare co-located

By frequency:

89.5 Portland 8/21/2017
    91.1 New Salem 8/22/2017
    96.7 NEW Portland West side 8/21/2017
    96.7 NEW Portland East side 9/22/2017
    99.9 KXRW Vancouver 2/6/2017
    100.7 KBSF/KRJJ Portland 5/6/2018 timeshare co-located
    101.5 NEW Portland SW side 1/5/2018
    101.5 KDOO Portland East side 8/20/2017
    104.5 DKVPB Vernonia 2/4/2017 (deleted)
    105.5 NEW Salem 8/20/2017

http://bit.ly/2iCqwkj

Andy Brown
    Participant

KFFD 98.3 Freeform Beaverton is now licensed.

Andy Brown
    Participant

KOUV 107.9 Vancouver has applied to relocate their licensed transmitter site a distance of 6.6 km from their current location. They have stated the reason for needing the move so as to locate the transmitter at the studio site for convenience. This exceeds the allowable distance for relocation of an LPFM of 5.6 km by 1 km. Since they are only recently licensed (which resets the 5.6 km origin point from the point of their initial CP to the licensed location), it’s possible this was their plan all along, although I have seen the FCC reject moves exceeding the 5.6 km limit many times. A quick search indicates that all other pertinent stations are distant enough except for the 2nd adjacent 107.5 which they are moving further away from and have previously been granted the 2nd adjacent waiver for anyway.

http://bit.ly/2lAoHTd

http://bit.ly/2mv35Mb

kb101engineer
    Participant

Just heard XRAY-FM add KXWR Vancouver to their top of hour ID.

jr_tech
    Participant

KXRW (99.9) is covered up by KRKT at my location in Hillsboro, no matter which way I point my APS-9 FM log Yagi.

msndrspdx
    Participant

X-Ray confirmed the KXRW simulcast on their Facebook page, complete with photos and an image of the KXRW logo, today. Wonder if KISN might do the same thing with the sister they have in Newberg?

Gotta give KXRY credit. They’re taking advantage of the opportunities they get.

semoochie
    Participant

I’m a little bit confused. I thought it was one to a customer.

Andy Brown
    Participant

First off, KXRY is a Class D licensed to Common Frequency in Davis, CA. KXRY is programmed and managed under an LMA with Cascade Educational Broadcast Service (CEBS). CEBS also has a lease with MetroEast to provide programming for and maintenance of K296FT 107.1 West Haven. It appears they now have an agreement to provide programming for KXRW. CEBS also now owns a translator on the coast, K219KU Nehalem 91.7 which as a non fill in translator in the reserved band can be fed by any means including the internet. K296FT is not in the reserved band so it must be fed off air until such time as CEBS programming is deployed on someone’s HD2 or HD3 service, a move that would change status from non fill in to fill in. This would also allow the refiling of an application to increase power of K296FT from 28 watts to at least 99 watts, possibly more. Translators that are fill in have only the 250 watt limit* but in this case protections to the north and south will limit ERP should they file again as their old CP to go to 99 W (max for non fill in) with DA has expired.

CEBS is not limited to how many other licensees can arrange to use their programming or how many translators they can own.

Licensees of LPFM’s may own up to two translators. They may not be licensee of any other LPFM’s and none of their Board Of Directors can have other broadcast interests.

LPFM’s that were survivors of mutually exclusive comparative hearings whom pledged to provide 8 hours of local programming to receive a comparative point must adhere to that promise. In general, an LPFM licensee may not retransmit, either terrestrially or via satellite, the signal of a full-power radio broadcast station. Class D stations and translators are not considered full power as they are both secondary service.**

XRAY’s master plan is to distribute the programming of CEBS on as many LPFM’s and translators as possible. It’s basically the same model used by the big radio networks on full power stations.

*and the 60 dBu contour of the primary FM or 25 mile distance from the primary AM site.

**Secondary service stations have limited protection against changes by primary stations in their area that may result in forcing the secondary station to find another frequency and/or location to remain compliant with spacing rules.

boisebill
    Participant

It’s messed up that “local programming” on many LPFM’s seems to consist of playing satellite & internet delivered programs from their automation. I can’t tell any difference between the Calvary Chapel LPFM stations and the full power CSN stations.

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you. I was actually referring to the comment about KISN having a sister station in Newberg.

Andy Brown
    Participant

In their case, the Oregon Amateur Radio Club KQRZ 100.7 and the Western Oregon Radio Club KISN 95.1 are separate non profits with separate boards of directors. Sharing some programming is within bounds.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 427 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.