Landmark: Supreme Court Rules Same-Sex Marriage Legal Nationwide

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Politics and other things Landmark: Supreme Court Rules Same-Sex Marriage Legal Nationwide

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Listener_Pete
    Participant

It’s been a bad week for the GOP.

Landmark: Supreme Court Rules Same-Sex Marriage Legal Nationwide

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday made marriage for same-sex couples legal nationwide, declaring that refusing to grant marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples violates the Constitution.

The landmark ruling will produce the most significant change in laws governing matrimony since the court struck down state bans on inter-racial marriage almost 50 years ago.

The majority opinion in the 5-4 decision was written by Justice Anthony Kennedy.

snip~

missing_kskd
    Participant

Wow. I’m definitely going to turn my radio on today! Good times on the AM dial. 🙂

Roberts has been an interesting Chief Justice. When he got confirmed, I felt we were in for a very serious pro-oligarchy, pro-social regression type court.

Well, we are getting most of the expected pro-oligarchy type decisions. Not cool.

But, we aren’t getting the regressions to anywhere near the same degree. Cool.

We may well end up a corporate nation. To a large degree we already are. TPP would solidify that direction, but it’s not over just yet.

To me, that’s depressing. We will have stepped away from some great ideas and a lot of people will be impacted. But, if that all comes to pass, which I see as very likely, it won’t be coupled with an ugly social policy.

Good.

One big fear was the whole, “enable racists, bigots, theocrats, et al” to win elections and bring oligarchy into the dominant role was going to work too well. We get both kinds of ugly, and I find myself and like minded people off on the sidelines, living liberally in little enclaves or other.

Now, I don’t think it’s going to go down that way. We may well see the oligarchy and enter into an age of big corporate politics. You guys watch “Continuum?” It’s a little sci-fi show dealing with this time in history, and it’s a lot more relevant than I first thought.

Basically, a political struggle happened, corporations won, they formed a corporate congress and they applied technology to society and the result was awesome in it’s tech, but very oppressive due to very strict and invasive information management. Notably, printed material of any kind was contraband, and possession comes with harsh penalties.

This was for message control and to revise history to control the population and present the product of the corporations as a net good for people, etc…

Somebody made time travel possible, and that’s the sci-fi part, where the show takes us back to near present day and the battle for how things will go plays out. Rebels, people oriented, anti-oligarchs are branded terrorists in the future, people who want to live sustainably are pushed out, marginalized, and seen as a bad element too. This, for little things like just growing their own food and living their own little lives somewhere quiet.

In the future, it’s presented in a very pro oligarch fashion, with a strong lead character that I really hated.

But, when moved to present day, it all flips, and we begin to empathize strongly with “the bad guys” who really are good guys, if one isn’t up for the corporate congress, one world government kind of thing.

These SCOTUS decisions feel like that to me. We are getting some very pro-people decisions, while at the same time, getting some really anti-ones, and the lines are along personal freedom and power.

Clearly, the most viable path for the big multi-nationals, who have grown to a size capable of challenging governments and very clearly able to manipulate them, is to maximize personal freedom in return for their absolute grip on economics.

We may well see the future play out on a board room wall, resources, people, etc… all managed for profit and executive goals, but we won’t be unhappy as ordinary people, but we won’t really have a say in a lot of things either.

Brianl
    Participant

Today is a great, and historic day. I can not possibly be happier.

Bigotry just took it right in the sack.

Listener_Pete
    Participant

Missing

Roberts didn’t vote for SSM, it was Kennedy that crossed over.

mwdxer1
    Participant

It’s about time. The American’s at 57% feel same sex marriage should be the law of the land. Things have really changed.

Brianl
    Participant

Pete is right – in fact, Roberts in his dissent slammed Kennedy.

Listener_Pete
    Participant

I made sure the following was in my OP:

The majority opinion in the 5-4 decision was written by Justice Anthony Kennedy.

Vitalogy
    Participant

Bad week for redneck bigots. Great week for the rest of us.

duxrule
    Participant

Yes, Kennedy wrote the Majority Opinion, and people are praising it as some of the best prose to come out of the SCOTUS in a number of years:

https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/scotus-gay-marriage-decision-05.png?w=560null

missing_kskd
    Participant

Yes, he did not. I’m impressed he took the case.

missing_kskd
    Participant

(((GB))) is great radio right now.

missing_kskd
    Participant

I’m on mobile, sorry. Roberts was expected to only reinforce conservatives. Taking this case did not do that.

And he has taken a few that did not do that.

Dems feared this and did not want Roberts.

Broadway
    Participant

John Piper: “The new calamity is not homosexuality, or even the celebration and approval of it. Homosexual behavior has been exploited, reveled in, and celebrated for millennia. What’s new is normalization and institutionalization. This is the new calamity.”

Broadway
    Participant
    Broadway
    Participant

From Franklin Graham’s facebook…

The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled today that same-sex marriage is legal in all 50 states. With all due respect to the court, it did not define marriage, and therefore is not entitled to re-define it.

Long before our government came into existence, marriage was created by the One who created man and woman—Almighty God—and His decisions are not subject to review or revision by any manmade court. God is clear about the definition of marriage in His Holy Word: “Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh” (Genesis 2:24).

I pray God will spare America from His judgment, though, by our actions as a nation, we give Him less and less reason to do so.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.