KYTE – What’s the deal?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

Sorry, I’m old. My focus was on something that wouldn’t have protection from a full power station. I was referring to their LPFM.

paulwalker
    Participant

Speaking of being old, whenever I hear the KYTE calls I think of the old am station that gave KGW a run for its money circa late 70’s. They actually sounded very good but the band could not support two AM top 40’s as the action was moving quickly to FM. Anyone remember London and Engleman? Those times on AM were doomed.

boisebill
    Participant

Heh..
    Just ran across a “KYTE 970” Frisbee moving boxes while painting.

paulwalker
    Participant

Ron Leonard. Man, he was good!

mwdxer1
    Participant

I’ve got a couple of them.

semoochie
    Participant

KYTE was great the first year and home of the Blazers in their championship season, which brought the ratings up to #2, right behind KGW! After that, they decided to be more “adult” and it wasn’t as much fun, blowing up entirely a year later. I never understood why they didn’t move the whole station to FM, instead of changing it to Rock 40 or whatever that was. It’s not like 97 Country took advantage of the KYTE calls.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Here is a KYTE/Portland Station Composite from 1978.

The new management that took over in 1979 wanted the Country format on the AM. The KLLB call letters originally stood for Country Club (KLLB) 101FM. No call letter change needed when the format went to KB101 Rock Deluxe.

paulwalker
    Participant

Nice aircheck, I think they moved to the SF market in the 80’s. Where are they now? Have no idea but based on age probably retired.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“No call letter change needed when the format went to KB101 Rock Deluxe.”

Didn’t they file on the calls KRCK when they became available? Or was that the next ownership change? I remember Mike Cooley said he had to go back and re-do the studies at some point in there. It would have been before John Walker and then Charlie Bush landed at KMJK.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

The KRCK call letter change came in 1983. Here is some history on 101.1 FM.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/KXL-FM

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Paul, here is a little more information on London and Engelman.

The rest of the story about London and Engelman

paulwalker
    Participant

That is quite sad. But everyone dies eventually. The two were quite good as a team. Too bad they broke up.

semoochie
    Participant

The story refers “The FM Kyte” as Top 40. It was AC, leaning Adult Top 40 or Hot AC although I don’t think either existed yet. It was mostly voice tracked with some live drop-ins during drive times, at least PM drive, where I sat in once and again after the change to Country.

paulwalker
    Participant

Didn’t Andy Barber work for KYTE for a stint? I know he worked at Magic for awhile some 40 years ago. Then back to Seattle then eventually to Tulsa OK where he finally settled down. Talk about your nomad dj’s. Edit: apparently the great Andy Barber has retired from radio.

Steve Naganuma
    Participant

Andy worked at KYTE in 1978 and KMJK in 1981. Andy is on the KYTE Composite posted above. Paul, here is an aircheck you may enjoy. It’s Andy on KING from 1976. Andy gave me the tape from the KING aircheck skimmer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.