KYTE – What’s the deal?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    pdx5810
    Participant

I have been away from Portland for a few years, but I *thought* there was an effort to move KYTE into the Portland, or at least Salem, market way back when.

Is that still a thing? Or is it still just a Newport station, albeit with a good signal in the valley?

Does KYTE go after listeners in the Salem/Albany area?

Screamer
    Participant

They’ve tried to move it over near Salem, however, the transmitter site the owners tried to use was not viable.

pdx5810
    Participant

Is this not an accurate portrayal of the signal?

KYTE COverage

Broadway
    Participant

they were on that site for a few months couple of years ago and had a honk’n valley signal but noted in other PDXradio writings the site had only diesel generator power and could not survive along with TX problems so they went back to their Newport site with no real FCC documentation…

pdx5810
    Participant

Thanks Broadway. Google Earth shows a whole bunch of solar panels at that site. Is it possible they site could be powered that way?

Screamer
    Participant

It is my understanding from an engineer buddy that powering a x-thousand watt radio transmitter 24/7 with solar panels/solar power is not quite viable yet.

Broadway
    Participant

Alternative power does not make the pay grade for commercial transmitters.

pdx5810
    Participant

So, forgive me, but are we saying KYTE is not broadcasting from the site the FCC shows them at?

chessyduck
    Participant

The KYTE Coast Range site is over 6km from the nearest powerline. Multiply those numbers by a “snake factor” (typical fiber is 1.3) and you end up with a very expensive proposition to run on-grid power to the site. YBC’s previous “Silent STA” mentioned a generator issue.

Yes, in the cloudy, rainy Coast Range it will take a solar lot of panels to support RF, cooling, ancillary equipment, etc. (The transmitter alone probably needs around 20kw as it outputs 8.6kw.) And remember, you’ll need a lot of battery storage for those overnights – especially in winter.

A more conservative plan would have been to locate at an on-grid site but with less power. YBC was challenged as they had to throw 70dBu over Independence (CoL) and lock-in the Salem market so there was a need to go full power (37kw ERP). (KYTE is also boxed in by several stations’ contours – mainly 103.3 Portland. )

It’s all in the engineering study:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101574946&qnum=5350&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

Screamer
    Participant

Based on that pattern, I should hear them at my place in NE Portland. I do not hear them.

pdx5810
    Participant

Yes, Screamer. I would think so as well. I am in Wilsonville and can’t pick them up. I go back to my last question…

Are the really running from a different site than the one noted on the license?

chessyduck
    Participant

The KYTE “former designated site” is on a hill near Otter Rock, north of Newport. They were authorized 65kw ERP there. Several FM stations are anchored at that coastal mountain location.

The former site details are here:

https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&appid=178250&facid=9848

semoochie
    Participant

None of this was very clear. KYTE is again operating from its original site at Otter Rock which is easily visible along US101, between Newport and Lincoln City but the last time I looked, there wasn’t any paperwork to indicate it. The Camas translator moved from 102.7 to 102.5 to protect them and back to 102.7, after they failed to operate from their licensed location.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by semoochie.
    chessyduck
    Participant

Yes.. my last comments were vague as YBC already has enough on their plate right now. Okay.. you confirmed it. KYTE is technically rogue for the moment.

Other stations up at Otter Rock are KYOR, KPPT, KCRF, KNCU, KSHL, KQOC, 3 FM translators and four TV emitters.

The Coastal Oregon media business is going through some very tough times right now as tourism and retail businesses struggle to stay alive.

chessyduck
    Participant

Semoochie noted “The Camas translator moved from 102.7 to 102.5 to protect them and back to 102.7, after they failed to operate from their licensed location.”

Curious – Which translator? I see KIEV-LP and it’s (likely-now-deleted) booster were on 102.5 – Is KIEV “Outlaw Country Radio” what you meant? (For a LPFM they have great coverage.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.