KYTE-FM For Sale Notice

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Andy Brown
    Participant

“That is a substantial increase in coverage area. That’s a waste?”

When so few people live there, of what real value is it?

Radio Ruminator
    Participant

How you looked at the two signal coverage area maps from radio-locator.com?

The old signal could only reach about a population of 40,00. The New signal covers all of Salem and Keizer. The population of metropolitan Salem is 4000,000.

nosignalallnoise
    Participant

I think the population of the Salem area is a LOT more than 400. You probably want to check the position of your commas (decimal points?) there, buddy.

Radio Ruminator
    Participant

nosignalallnois, I made a mistake. Nobody’s perfect. You knew what I meant. You are being a jerk.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“How you looked at the two signal coverage area maps from radio-locator.com?”

Radio locator is near worthless but the point you missed is that although they have increased the population served within their 60 dBu it:

doesn’t really help them w.r.t. Portland.

wastes a lot of their signal over uninhabited terrain.

So again, if they only did this to help market the station to a stupid buyer that doesn’t know any better about coverage but clearly understands that it will be near a million dollars to bring power into the new transmitter site, what’s the point?

p.s. I’m a broadcast engineer that has done numerous FM applications from LPFM through Class C. I have 40 years experience in radio, t.v., audio and video, FCC rules, etc. etc. A rim shot into the mid valley is still a far cry from Portland. If you look at radio locator you are only getting FCC theoretical 60 dBu coverage which is notoriously inaccurate. I don’t expect you to know that, but if you live around here you can still tell from the radio locator map that much of the signal provides coverage over the mountains. All that time and money was spent to provide better coverage in Portland’s edge and it doesn’t. Better coverage in mid valley isn’t going to make the station salable not to even mention the need for power.

Radio Ruminator
    Participant

I live in Salem. I was glad that KYTE’s new signal could adequately cover Portland. Portland doesn’t need any more commercial FM stations.

Salem doesn’t have any commercial FM stations. I was hoping that KYTE would relocate its studio to Salem. That won’t happen. The new signal isn’t economically viable because it doesn’t cover all of Portland.

Master of Disaster
    Participant

I live in Salem. I was glad that KYTE’s new signal could adequately cover Portland. Portland doesn’t need any more commercial FM stations.

Did you even read the previous posts in this thread? The discussion is about how the signal CAN’T cover Portland.
    Speaking of similar topics, the Master of Disaster remembers the late 1980s when some refused to listen to what was then Q105, even after their signal upgrade, because they felt it was a Salem station. And that signal put quite a bit of coverage into Portland-proper, just not as much as the West Hills FMs.

Salem doesn’t have any commercial FM stations. I was hoping that KYTE would relocate its studio to Salem.

That won’t happen. Salem is just too close to Portland, and 95.1 already tried that when they moved from the coast to the valley. IIRC there was a newspaper article at the time that explained that Salem’s demographics are difficult for advertisers.

glennwood5
    Participant

I noticed they were off the air again today. It seems like every other day or so, they go down. Do you suppose the generators can’t handle the load? I also wonder how hard it’s going to be to get propane to a remote mountain top when it rains and snows. Anyone remember 105.1 on High Camp with a generator and the problems they had getting fuel to the site?

I live in south Eugene and their signal isn’t very good here. In fact when I was on the coast this past week, when driving from Newport to Lincoln City with their old site in front of me, their signal was in and out. It was that way almost all the way to LC.

If they had stayed in Newport, they might be able to get their asking price.

mwdxer1
    Participant

Over a million people? I would be surprised. I do get KYTE up here on the North Coast with a decent signal off the yagi, but i would be surprised if a million people could get it and would they listen to KYTE.

glennwood5
    Participant

Off the air again yesterday morning when I tried to pick them up at 11:50am.

jr_tech
    Participant

I usually check on Sunday morning for the jazz program … the station has not been receivable in Hillsboro at least two Sundays (perhaps three) in a row. Random checks during the week have not found a signal either.

Broadway
    Participant

Seem to be going back and forth from their Newport site to their new Independence site…can you do that?…or could you rescind your original CP after install and FCC ok.

semoochie
    Participant

The license application is not yet granted so the licensed site is still on the coast.

glennwood5
    Participant

Still off the air again today in the valley. Good job guys. keep it on the coast.

tuneman45
    Participant

Several ideas have been talked about. The State of Oregon has a communications building up there and it is solar powered. That’s a possibility for a new owner. Also, the tower and transmitter could be moved to a new location.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.