KYTE-FM For Sale Notice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Boss_Radio_1550
    Participant

I received this over a week ago in my email. But, never had time to post it thinking that someone else may have. Nothing new that we all expected would happen. The transmitter site is powered off generators with propane tanks. Not good. In my opinion, the signal is not tolerable in the “suburbs of Portland” (if I could stand to listen to it…).

MEDIA SERVICES GROUP
    Media Services Group is offering a new FM that covers much of western Oregon from the suburbs of Portland south to Salem, Corvallis and Eugene (60dbuLR). KYTE-FM is one of just a few FM stations that covers all of these important communities in Oregon. The “KITE” also covers the Oregon shore-line communities like Lincoln City and Newport.

KYTE-FM broadcast on 102.7 MHz with 36.50KW at a HAAT 648 meters. The 60 dBu LR has a population count of 1,373,406. Asking price for KYTE-FM is $1.5 million (represents 1.1X pop count). KYTE-FM will have some great marketing opportunities.

For detailed information on this unique opportunity, contact: Greg Merrill | Rocky Mountains Office

W7PAT
    Participant

It would be nice if KBZY would buy it and make it an AM-FM combo.
    It will probably end up another Spanish station.

Randy_in_Eugene
    Participant

It will never be a viable factor in the Eugene market. The amount of multipath is similar to the FMs from Vineyard Peak, but signal strength is noticeably weaker. You can get it if you really want it, but not many would bother regardless of format.

Broadway
    Participant

There is a must for finishing the buildout with AC to the site…a half-mill or more cost factor…lots of cash for another mid-valley coastal move-in…this one with best signal-power but sustainable?

boisebill
    Participant

How many “rim shot” stations do you know of that actually did well trying to serve just a piece of a larger market? What a waste of investment.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“What a waste of investment.”

Clearly. The mid valley won’t support this. KSKD tried it for years and finally moved in all the way. That’s getting impossible to do at this point.

Besides, selling stations with no permanent power source is an uphill battle. I doubt anyone will pay 1.5 M for that as is. What genius spent all that money to move it to a spot with no power?

Screamer
    Participant

I’m guessing someone tried to convince them they could get Portland money for the frequency if they hit enough of the metro.

boisebill
    Participant

1130 KXET could buy it, then shut that waste of an AM off.
    (1130 CKWX Vancouver would love that.)

fieldstrength
    Participant

I can see EMF buying this signal for their Air1 service. They have the cash, the patience for getting power to the site, and the willingness to live with a sub-par signal in Portland and Eugene. They have lower power signals in both Portland and Eugene, and 102.7 could fill the gap in between like 107.1 does for KLove. Also, they have lower operating costs (no studio or local staff, plus they are non-comm) and that could make this signal viable for them while another operator might struggle.

semoochie
    Participant

I thought 88.1 was covering the valley.

fieldstrength
    Participant

88.1 does cover part of the valley, but nothing like 102.7 would.

Broadway
    Participant

Air1 in valley….
    97.5 Newberg (reaches down to Salem)
    90.3 Salem
    88.1 Lebanon/Albany/Corvallis
    90.3/90.7 Eugene
    All greatly lower powers than 102.7 but they’ve got AC!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

The new 102.7: we’re doing our part to contribute to global warming! 🙁

Radio Ruminator
    Participant

Media Services Group: “The (KYTE) 60 dBu LR has a population count of 1,373,406.”

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KYTE-FM&s=C

That is a substantial increase in coverage area. That’s a waste?

It would make sense for KYTE to market itself as a Salem and Mid-Willamette station. KSND couldn’t cover all of Salem. That is why it failed as a Salem Station.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Although I was clearly being a bit facetious, my question about the wisdom of powering a radio transmitter site from propane generators stands. Are the station’s owners (or potential buyers) banking on electrical service being built out to the site in the future so that the generators won’t have to be used?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.