KXXO-96.1-Olmpia WA

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    RobP
    Participant

The person hurling “poor style” accusations can’t spell check a post before hitting submit. Now THAT’S funny.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Nothing I wrote is misspelled. And spell check is built in, but noticing that would require paying attention to what you post. Clearly you are too busy for that or composing posts that all readers can understand.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I am now hearing KXXO from my location in Hillsboro, using a 10 element Yagi pointed north. The signal strength goes up and down and is much less than that of KZEL.

semoochie
    Participant

Is it different from both the licensed and auxiliary site?

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I don’t know which transmitter I was hearing last night. This was the first time that I recall hearing KXXO (KZEL is much stronger at my location).

jr_tech
    Participant

Some observations from my location North of Hillsboro:

1. KXXO does not have the signal strength to compete with KZEL (near equal at my location) like it did before from the old location near Mossyrock.

2. The KXXO signal is considerably stronger than what I remember from the 4 KW backup transmitter, But conditions to the North are fairly good this morning…Classical KING is coming in poor to fairly decent.

3. The heading on my Rotator is indicating near due North for max signal on KXXO, which would be consistent with a transmitter location West of Olympia, but the backup station is also located somewhat west of the Mossyrock location. Most Seattle stations peak a bit East of North heading, around 15-20 degrees.

4. I can’t find anything on the FCC site indicating that they have moved yet.

Update 11:35: they just took a deep fade, and were covered briefly by a Spanish station.

I reported… you decide. 🙂

semoochie
    Participant

OK, we’ve determined that it’s different from the licensed site so that just leaves the construction permit and auxiliary sites. If reception stays consistent and different from before, that could be a sign. If we suddenly start getting a strong signal on 96.3, we’ll know for sure. 🙂 Thanks for the input!

jr_tech
    Participant

Well today they appear to be pretty strong again, but KING and KVTI are also pretty good as well… So I called the station and was told that they are on the standby transmitter, and the move to the new site could take up to a year yet.

fieldstrength
    Participant

“the move to the new site could take up to a year yet.”

Interesting, since their CP at the new site expires this August 31st. I feel like KWLZ will never move to the metro on 96.3 unless more money starts changing hands to grease the wheels a bit more.

RobP
    Participant

The CP has been extended a few times already, so likely another extension will be granted this year.

semoochie
    Participant

The FCC used to allow one year for construction and it was common to extend the construction permit multiple times. They changed it to three years with no extensions. If you haven’t finished construction after three years, you have to start from scratch to get a new CP. This is the second one for KXXO and KWLZ, the latter of which might be getting a little peeved if the former doesn’t build out this time!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.