KXPD goes AM Hybrid Digital

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Shirley Knott
    Participant

FCC says KXPD has filed to operate digital hybrid on AM 1040. Just when we thought the legalized AM noisemakers were going away.

mwdxer1
    Participant

What a waste of the airwaves. Since the station is low power, their HD side will not do too well. I cannot believe they have much of an audience anyway.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This is deja-vu because KXPD did operate hybrid digital until about 2008, during their “La X” days. I recall that one day, the exciter malfunctioned and started transmitting on 1000 kHz, instead of 1040. The owners at the time immediately discontinued HD operations and returned to analog only.

Broadway
    Participant

Remember in the 90’s when Klov owned it…it was broadcasting in C-QUAM stereo and sounded great!

jr_tech
    Participant

Last night I tuned in 1040 (from Hillsboro, about 1am) on a small portable HD radio (Sangean Hdr-14) and saw a flashing HD indicator but did not get HD lock in. Today, I am seeing no indication of HD.
    Perhaps the indication that I observed last night was false due to interference, or could they be running HD only at night already???
    Also, they seemed to be airing a fair amount of Israli music, including the easily identified Hava Nagila… Delightful!

jr_tech
    Participant

Got HD locked in today… PAD indicates “Slavic Family 1040 HD”

mwdxer1
    Participant

Out here on the Oregon coast, the only AM HD activity I got when I had a 1500′ Eastern Beverage set up and I would get KSL SLC in HD at times at night. A couple all digital tests I got, but nothing else. It seems that FM HD is easier to get than AM, as I get a few on HD here. Portland is rare with my yagi, but I do get several from Seattle in FM HD.

Borderblaster
    Participant

“Got HD locked in today… PAD indicates Slavic Family 1040 HD”

Meaning useless iblock Horseshit

semoochie
    Participant

Is 1330 still HD? Reception of them got to be impossible, while staring at the towers! I had no issue with KEX.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I suspect that KXPD is now broadcasting in HD only during the day. I have not yet attempted to receive the HD transmissions. I have tried receiving 1030 and 1050 using analog radios. During the day, I hear the typical HD sideband sound. At night, I hear out-of-town stations and “splash” that appears to match the audio on 1040. I have tried this test in Southwest Portland, Beaverton, and Hillsboro. However, from Hillsboro I observed that at night there is some co-channel interference, so if KXPD were transmitting in the hybrid mode during those hours, reception might be unreliable.

jr_tech
    Participant

1330 appears to be transmitting HD, but I can’t get it to lock in solid like KXPD.
    I no longer detect KXPD HD at night as the night signal is quite weak. I suspect that what I observed a few nights ago may have been some HD testing at daytime power.
    KSL occasionally locks in at night on the tiny Sangean HDR-14.

Mixmasterdmc
    Participant

The stock HD receiver in my 2014 Outback has never been able to stay locked on 1330 for longer than a second or two, even when close to their site. At the same time, the analog sounds relatively fine and strong.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Mixmasterdmc.
    lastday
    Participant

Currently my Toyota RAV4 and VW e-Golf cannot get an HD lock on KRVM-AM-HD. They detect HD, just no lock. Proximity to transmitter makes no difference.

My Sangean HDT-20 detects HD, but no lock.

But my Sony XDR-F1HD and a Sony XDR-S3HD have no trouble getting a HD lock. Go figure.

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you, I have since changed both cars and neither receive HD. There’s an HD Radio in the house but there’s no AM on it, even analog.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.