KXET 1130 AM Stereo

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  semoochie 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Alfredo_T
    Participant

For a while, I had been aware that KXET transmits an AM stereo pilot tone. Today, I tuned in, an ID played that said the station broadcasts in stereo (I do not speak Russian, but the word “stereo” was in there). The ID and the music that followed clearly had stereo separation.

KXRU-ED
    Participant

They made a big deal out of it on the air a couple years ago. Not sure what it does to their signal but to me its all the same.

semoochie
    Participant

Since this is no longer particularly well known, I might mention that in order to hear stereo from an AM stereo station, you have to be listening to a unit so equipped. That would be C-Quam and I don’t believe they’ve been made since the 80s. I understand that some HD radios are able to receive it although I have no idea how accurate they are.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  semoochie.

Chico
    Participant

Analog C-QUAM equipped radios actually continued to exist well into the late 90s/early this century. My 2000 Jeep Cherokee came with AM Stereo as standard equipment.

Most if not all HD radio chipsets have C-QUAM detection embedded, however it is up to the receiver manufacturer as to whether the feature is enabled in a given unit. Some do, some don’t. My 2017 Golf clearly does decode a stereo signal when available, not that you could tell by looking as there is no “stereo” indicator anywhere, be it FM or AM. But it was pretty obvious last time I was up in BC on 900AM- you can hear it switch from mono to stereo after about 2 seconds.

semoochie
    Participant

I stand corrected but by the time C-Quam went from being the de facto standard to the only standard in 1993, most stations had long since abandoned the technology.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  semoochie.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  semoochie.

Chico
    Participant

Yup, you are correct about the standard being set FAR too late. I don’t know where Portland metro ended up, but I know in the Seattle market there were at one time 6 AM stereo stations. Now there are none. Not sure there are any left in the state of WA at all, though there are at least a couple in OR, perhaps more?

I DO know that the station where I worked in 1989 sounded pretty decent in AM Stereo and we had some pretty hot Orban processing along with a new Nautel xmitter. On the right receiving equipment, it was hardly distinguishable from FM and the bass response was better. But there’s the rub, of course…nobody was building great AM receivers by that time.

lastday
    Participant

WION 1430 in Ionia MI streams their AM Stereo signal received off the air, I believe with a Carver tuner.

http://www.i1430.com/listen.html

Forget the apps, just click on the “Click to play” button.

From their FAQ:

Q) Why does the audio cut out for 3 seconds, about the same time, every night?

A) Everyday at sundown, and again at sunup, our transmitter changes power settings and towers. (see above) We could have connected our internet stream directly to our audio source and avoided the audio drop outs. In fact, this would have been easier for us, and most stations do exactly that! However, we at WION are very proud of our AM Stereo sound, and we want the world to know just how incredible AM Stereo sounds! For this reason, we went the extra mile and give you, the listening public, the actual “over the air” Stereo AM sound we pick up on a typical Stereo AM reciever.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Today, KXET (1130) and KBPS (1450) broadcast AM stereo. Previously, I had received stereo on KLVP 1040, KKPZ 1330, KKSN 1520, and KKJY/KDZR (1640). I moved to the Portland area in 1998, and to the best of my knowledge the frequencies on which stereo was previously broadcast were 620, 910, 1190, and 1360.

semoochie
    Participant

At one time, I believe we had ten stations broadcasting AM stereo, 1984 or so. Thinking about it just now, I can only come up with eight. Someone posted years ago that KUIK never actually broadcast in AM stereo. They just promoted that they did.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  semoochie.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.