KWVT Salem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    yahmit
    Participant

Is the Salem transmitter off the air? None of their three channels are coming in today.

jr_tech
    Participant

Getting all 3 fine off of the Portland transmitter right now.

7:25 Just checked, and I can’t detect the KSLM digital reference carrier (548.312 mHz) with my Icom reciever, so I guess the Salem transmitter is off.

yahmit
    Participant

Good to know.

Thanks for checking for me.

At least I know it isn’t my antenna. I only live 3 miles from the Salem transmitter and all the other channels come in.

semoochie
    Participant

When you say the “Salem transmitter”, do you mean the transmitter for the station licensed to Salem or its translator in Salem?

jr_tech
    Participant

The signal that I am getting on my tv is from KWVT-LD, which transmits from the Portland west hills on ch 49. COL Salem. Good signal on my tv tonight.

The signal that I checked for with my Icom would be KSLM-LD, which transmits from the hills west of Salem (hence, I referred to as the Salem transmitter) on ch 27. COL Dallas. I usually can detect the digital reference frequency, but it seems to be missing tonight.

Both stations carry the same line-up of virtual channels:
    17.1 KWVT- YouToo & local
    27.1 KSLM- Retro tv
    37.1 KPWC- Azteca

yahmit
    Participant

Semoochie
    I mean the original transmitter location in Eola Hills in West Salem.

Thanks

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you, I thought it could go either way.

Andy Brown
    Participant

There are very few TV translators in Oregon, the majority being in Rockaway Beach on the coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_Oregon#Translators

Most of what is repeating full power programming are low power stations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_Oregon#LPTV_stations

jr_tech
    Participant

Yahmit
    Is it back on yet? I am detecting a very faint carrier that would be slightly off frequency (548.324 mHz) and somewhat unstable… *might* be coming from KSLM-LP… don’t know.

semoochie
    Participant

What is the difference between a translator and low power station that repeats another’s programing? I know a Class A is afforded protection but this is another matter.

mwdxer1
    Participant

We were supposed to have a KWVT translator out here near Astoria on analog 4 or 5, but they were never built, The CPs I think are still alive, but I would be surprised if a new low VHF would come on out here, as everything is UHF. Here is our list:

04 Analog CP
    05 Analog CP
    15 Digital CP
    17 KGW (8.1 KGW, 8.2 Justice, 8.3 Estrella)
    21 KPTV (12.1 KPTV, 12.2 Cozi, 12.3 Laff)
    23 KOPB (10.1 KOPB, 10.2 OPB+, 10.3 OPB Radio)
    24 Digital app
    26 KATU (2.1 KATU, 2.2 METV, 2.3 Comet
    28 Digital CP
    34 KOIN (6.1 KOIN, 6.2 Get TV, 6.3 Decades)
    36 Digital CP
    38 Digital CP
    42 Dead CP
    43 Dead app
    51 Digital CP

With the FCC dropping down to 29, I have no idea what will happen to the higher channel CPs.
    Right now the only translators on are the 5 Portland stations 2-6-8-10-12 and sub channels.

Patrick
    Warrenton OR

Andy Brown
    Participant

There does not appear to be anything but low power digital (LD) and translator (TX) CP’s, I don’t see any analog CP’s listed anymore. DT’s (full power digital TV) and DR (??) fill out the list.

http://tinyurl.com/j9b642g

Andy Brown
    Participant

Semoochie: The answer is here:

http://tinyurl.com/jz27r7j

semoochie
    Participant

Thank you, Andy. I understand that the difference between a translator and low power TV station is that a low power station is allowed to originate programing. What I was wondering is, if they chose to repeat another’s programing and not originate their own programing, how is that different from a translator?

Andy Brown
    Participant

Do you mean other then displacement protection?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.