KWLZ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    WMA35
    Participant

Did it just flip to “Urban”? At 5 PM a ZZ Topp song was followed by a bit of silence, then god knows what. Auto-tuned echo machine pre=programmed electronic beat rap. Or something.

WMA35
    Participant

Looks like the website re-directs to “WE 96.3 – WE ARE PORTLAND”.

e_dawg
    Participant

Here’s the news from Radio-Info website.

Alpha Launches We 96.3 Portland

fieldstrength
    Participant

Alpha missed their chance to grab 97.9. At least they now have 5 FMs like their two closest competitors.

How well can urban do in Portland though? And doesn’t this format threaten their own Live 95.5 somewhat?

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Here’s what North America is reading from All Access:

Alpha Media Launches Top 40/Rhythmic KWLZ (WE 96-3)/Portland, OR

ALPHA MEDIA has flipped PORTLAND, OR move-in 3 HORIZONS, LLC Classic Hits KWLZ/WEST LINN, OR to Top 40/Rhythmic as WE 96-3 as it takes over management of the station.

The new format is voiced by EMMIS Top 40/Rhythmic WQHT (HOT 97)/NEW YORK and APPLE MUSIC BEATS 1 host EBRO DARDEN and was created by ALPHA MEDIA VP/Programming PHIL BECKER.

BECKER said, “PORTLAND has been without a true Rhythmic CHR station since 2008 and WE believe the market deserves an authentic alternative. When looking at national trends, regardless of geography, some of the most in demand music in the world will be played on WE 96-3.”

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Some time ago, weren’t there attempts on this board to predict what format would eventually replace the classic hits on KWLZ?

WMA35
    Participant

“Rhythmic”. Is that what the current corporate PC term is? Sorry. Urban must be offensive. When I was a kid, we just called it the black station. Of course, when I was a kid, if you tuned across the black station, you found the best music on the dial so it wasn’t meant as derogatory. I’m kinda old, and grew up in SoCal, and I still remember a small transistor AM with an earphone that I got one Christmas. Laid in bed that night with the little white plastic earphone in, and tuned into one of those “R&B” stations just across the border, blasting “race records” and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It sounded like KHJ or KRLA a bit, but it was somehow cooler by a factor of like 10. That’s my own memory, and giant mega media corporations like “alpha” or anyone can’t take it away from me, though evidently they keep trying. I have others too. Like the one where I turned my parents big wooden floor console stereo to FM and started spinning that dial, in the heyday of real SoCal free form rock stations. I felt like an explorer making cool discoveries. Lucky for Alpha, nobody will ever be able to do that again.

W7PAT
    Participant

What a loss. KWLZ was nearly perfect in their Classic Hits format. I’m not sure what I’ll listen to now since 106.7 seems to be mostly ’80’s their isn’t a choice.

fieldstrength
    Participant

Alpha really could have kept the Classic Hits format. It would have fit nicely into their cluster. They could have improved on it a bit, adding personalities and updating the presentation a bit. I’m surprised they didn’t see that as an option. I guess they just want to reach younger listeners.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I guess they just want to reach younger listeners.

Yes, that probably was the strategy. Of their Portland stations, only KBFF could be said to be designed for people 35 and under. I tried to listen to this new “We 96.3” for as long as I could. The music sounds like what appeals to teenagers today. It is also a world away from what music sounded like when I was that age.

bossjock
    Participant

I’ve come to believe that Alpha’s place in the media universe is to make iHeart look good. And the irony is not lost that a guy named “Phil Becker” is supposedly the genius behind an urban rhythmic signal in The Whitest City in America.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I recall the term CHR Rhythmic being used in the 1990s to mean CHR without the rock. The idea was to create a sound based primarily on dance music and R&B that would be more female friendly. The complementary, then-new, format was modern rock.

e_dawg
    Participant

Wow, can Portland handle 2 Rhythmic CHR stations? Pittsburgh doesn’t have a rhythmic CHR/urban on their FM outlet and Seattle doesn’t have a full coverage of CHR-rhythmic even since KUBE 93 displaced to weaker 104.9 signal.

bossjock
    Participant

OK, so here’s a question…We know that KWLZ hasn’t shown up in Nielsen since 3 Horizons wasn’t subscribing. Since Alpha does subscribe, will we see KWLZ show up in the August ratings release with numbers for June and July, pre-“WE”? Would that signal even have been encoded, and if so would Nielsen have captured the data and be able to report it?

e_dawg
    Participant

KWlZ is now KWEE.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.