KWLZ West Linn To 3 HORIZONS, LLC,

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KWLZ West Linn To 3 HORIZONS, LLC,

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Broadway
    Participant

K242AB 96.3 in Salem is off the air…get KWLZ just fine all over Salem.

radio9965
    Participant

Incense and peppermints? Im out..

Andy Brown
    Participant

“What I see is that a 100 kW station was taken off the air and eight stations had to make facilities changes so that a 1.4 kW station could go on the air.”

Actually Alfredo, and as I have pointed out many times, it’s not about power, per se, it’s about the class. Yes, a Class C is gone and a Class C3 has been sandwiched into the Portland market. A Class C3 has an average coverage of 24 miles (distance to the 60 dBu contour). Due to the height of 386 meters (1266 feet) HAAT and 480 meters (1575 feet) AMSL, to achieve that distance to the 60 dBu contour requires 1.4 kW ERP.

“It’s a little ironic that inside most of its COL the signal is scratchy/picket-y, but that’s due more to our topography (with many roads and homes on hills facing away from Stonehenge) than the engineering.”

If the problems are unique to KWLZ, it’s the power being less than the higher class stations on Stonehenge and the height in combination with the topography. If the problems also exist for those higher class stations, it is just topography. Every station of any class has holes in its coverage, even inside the primary service contour. Less power can exacerbate these problems for two reasons: 1. The indirect paths (bounce shots) are weaker and 2. The lower lobes of radiation naturally have less power in them to begin with.

The large amount of height has additional negative effects on close in coverage.

Sometimes, lower power stations do better with less height, especially close in.

When Portland got its first Class A’s back in the ’80’s (94.7 and 107.5), their initial incarnations did quite well at lower heights. 94.7 was on a low four leg tower on Mt. Scott and 107.5 was on a pole barely above ground level. The big money guys, though, bought those stations up during the big bandwidth rush of the late 90’s and have jockeyed the grid, and those Class A’s are now a C2 and C0, respectively. Point being, if you don’t remember those two back then or don’t listen to translators and LPFM’s (or our Class D), you need to refresh on the reception behaviors of lesser Class stations operating in a congested environment with lots of topography.

“But lighten up, for heaven’s sake! “

Nope. This is another chance for whomever is holding the reigns to be bold and fresh, and do something that will stand out. By all the comments around here, this is hardly bold, new or refreshing. They need to do something that isn’t going to be stale right out of the box. Hey, I’m 64 and I don’t like Top 40, oldies or nostalgia formats. There is plenty of good music out there, and an occasional song from that group is OK, but a steady diet of it sucks the big one. Even then, I prefer the lesser known cuts from those old albums because after all, the real fans back then went out and bought the album and haven’t heard those other songs on the radio in decades. Any hit based format on a station with poorer coverage in a market with a whole host of better coverage stations all competing with hit formats is a mistake IMO.

semoochie
    Participant

“A Class C3 has an average coverage of 24 miles (distance to the 60 dBu contour). Due to the height of 386 meters (1266 feet) HAAT and 480 meters (1575 feet) AMSL, to achieve that distance to the 60 dBu contour requires 1.4 kW ERP.” Actually, it works out to 1.6KW, like KRYP. Dropping to 1.4KW is to protect the Class C contour of KZEL Eugene. They originally had intended a directional antenna at 1.6KW but came up with this solution instead. The only reason they have to do anything is because KZEL applied for a higher antenna height(HAAT), kicking themselves up to the next Class. KZEL is now on their second construction permit for this facility. I have my doubts about it EVER being built, but if it isn’t, I don’t expect KWLZ to add that additional 0.2KW.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Yes, semoochie, all true but since the points I was addressing were the comparison to Class C 100 kW coverage and close in coverage for a lower class station with a copious amount of height, in this case it’s kind of TMI.

In fact, had they gone with a 1.6 kW DA, although costlier, and put it at a lower height on the tower, it might have resulted in better coverage close in.

W7PAT
    Participant

I like the format, hope they don’t change it musically.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Listening in today from the west side (Beaverton Hillsdale Highway) There was plenty of RF, but the audio quality varied greatly from track to track. They played some old Van Morrison and it sounded awful. The song after sounded fine. The liners sounded the best (I don’t mean the content, just the audio quality). Some songs sounded somewhere in-between the totally unacceptable Van Morrison track and track that played immediately after it.

“The automation needs to be tightened up”

Automation can only be marginally good, at best. Automation can execute a playlist and attract listeners who like the kind of music it is programmed to play. The problem with the proliferation of automation on commercial radio over the last 20 years is the same for every licensee that uses it, it is limited. It can not engage nor converse with the listeners. Even the stations that still have maybe 3 air people for morning drive, afternoon and early evenings are using automation the rest of the time. It’s just another reason why younger generations don’t tune in like they used to. After all, if it’s just a machine, they’d (and I) prefer my own machine with my own programming which in the instant environment can be with me almost everywhere all the time. The death of live delivery is one of the most egregious changes made for money and only money reasons in the industry today. If the licenses hadn’t been so consolidated into so few ownerships, this wouldn’t have happened on the large scale that it has. Oh, sure, I hear many of you reciting the company line and I’m sure the kool aid they provide at work tastes just fine, but there are some truths about the industry that are telling. The most important one is that after factoring all the changes into the equation, radio doesn’t generate the revenue it used to when the dial was a larger group of players all competing against each other. Look it up. Go ahead. The usual answer to that is the missing revenue has been taken away by other competing sources. So assuming that is a big part of it, then why the hell are broadcasters reacting by automating their assets when the net based sources of significance are also automated. It’s hardly fighting fire with fire, it’s more like throwing their hands up and saying there’s nothing we can do. Mark said to me in his post to “lighten up.” I think its radio ownership that needs to lighten up. Most of the stops on the dial now are a dizzying non varietal choice of fruit cocktail. The same peaches, grapes, pineapple and pears drowned in sugary syrup so much so that the only difference is the brand, not the contents.
    More than half of Americans now own a smartphone and that number is steadily increasing. Not that portable mp3 players weren’t already ubiquitous prior to that, but the latest generation of smartphones enable easy consumption of Internet radio via apps that can be enjoyed cross-device. Additionally, a majority of new cars have built-in options to connect your smartphone to either play mp3s or stream digital, and many have had satellite radio for ages.
    The bottom line is that the way to reverse the trend is most definitely not what commercial operators are doing. The clock is ticking on these large corporations that own so many licenses they don’t know what to do with half the stations they own in many markets. And one certainty is clear to many on the outside looking in (many of whom, like me, used to be on the inside): Change or die.

semoochie
    Participant

Just to tie up loose ends, KWLZ’s license was granted on September 24th.

semoochie
    Participant

I meant to mention that KWLZ is running RBDS.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

The 3 element JAMPRO active performance specifications are attached to the 5 May 2015 FCC 302 which identifies the -1 degree electrostatic beam tilt. However, Section III.2 beam tilt antenna box is checked Not Applicable. Hence the 15 September 302.
    The 2.8 kW total ERP reduction to 2.7 kW total ERP is due to the JAMPRO being so darn efficient.
    KXXO has its own issues. Circular polarization has unique reflection and refraction properties. With center antenna height at 828 Meters (2,700+ feet) HAAT and with normal Puget Sound temperature inversion marine layer patterns, KXXO is either in or above the clouds. More absorbing and refracting. There is no beam tilt I can detect.
    Given more time, I am sure 3 Horizons will work out program element timing issues and base audio levels. IP audio needs level tweeking as well. Conservative format is in line with corporate market strategy and values. Gray hairs listen longer to broadcast radio and have more money.
    Format selection is not my preference (don’t like vanilla ice milk) but there is an open hole in the market which can be filled. This is a flip. 3 Horizons has retained a broker. Let the next owner make noise in a clown suit to attract attention. Horizon Broadcasting has also retained a broker and will be for sale soon.
    HBG & CEO Keith Shipman should receive congratulations and respect for their persistence. https://www.facebook.com/SeattleRadioGreats
    That grinning smile is priceless.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

HBG is not for sale! My bad.
    According to Bi-Coastal Media – Albany staff, K242AB is down due to “network” issues. They are working on it. It was ‘dirty’ anyway with lots of splatter.

washnotore
    Participant

I heard KXXO in the North Side of Vancouver today. More like Salmon Creek, Hazel Dell Area.

Anyway KXXO has a web promo going on it’s boosted signal. If you could call it that.

http://www.kxxo.com/index.php/contests/boosted

Broadway
    Participant

>>K242AB is down due to “network” issues
    —Well how timely of them to be off the air…
    They are working on it
    —Can they go back on…co-channels at 50 miles apart?

stevewa
    Participant

I’ve been listening for the past week or so. Traveling around town I am fairly impressed with the coverage, I got solid signal downtown and only a little fading around Maywood Park area (122nd and I84). Given the topology out that way that was not a surprise.

I find the music tracks to be pretty uniform in quality (especially compared to some of the clunker recordings on 106.7) and I actually appreciate the relatively light-handed processing. It does sound like the jingle package has a few different music tracks but only one vocal (not counting the COL in the top of hour ID) so perhaps it was a “discount model.”

Clearly the format would benefit from some live, local on-air talent. Wonder how long Rick Taylor’s non-compete clause is?

Andy Brown
    Participant

“Can they go back on…co-channels at 50 miles apart?”

The area is now drenched in 50 dBu of KWLZ. What do you think? This means their coverage will be severely limited and probably about 1/5th of what it used to be. Even your previous question about moving one channel, which although may pass muster at the FCC, will be a problem. That much co channel or first adjacent is not going to result in a great signal and as a secondary service, they must accept all the co channel interference.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.