KWLZ West Linn To 3 HORIZONS, LLC,

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums Portland Radio KWLZ West Linn To 3 HORIZONS, LLC,

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    semoochie
    Participant

As I sit typing, the construction permit for KWLZ is set to expire in about two hours and twenty minutes. As I was pondering this, I happened to think how common it is for stations to wait until the very last minute before filing a 302. Is there a tax break or something? It isn’t like that’s the only way it ever happens but it does occur often enough that I have to wonder.

semoochie
    Participant

As of today, August 31st, KWLZ has filed its 302 form.

Andy Brown
    Participant

“how common it is for stations to wait until the very last minute before filing a 302. Is there a tax break or something? It isn’t like that’s the only way it ever happens but it does occur often enough that I have to wonder.”

No tax break. You are in business already, even if you are new, but it is often about two things: 1. money 2. conditions on the CP.

In this case it is the latter. KWLZ can’t begin program test authority (usually done in the 10 days previous to filing the 302) until KXXO’s new location is up, running and receives their license. Waiting until the last day to file the 302 is in this case, is just to beat the deadline since the FCC won’t issue a license until KXXO’s license is issued. KXXO (according to the 302 form) has begun PTA at half power, so it shouldn’t be too much longer.

Anyway, Portland doesn’t need another corporate hot air balloon and I’m hard pressed to see this as anything else but exactly that.

You know, the great recession hit radio ad revenue pretty hard. It hasn’t yet reached revenue levels from ten years ago. The next downturn in the economy (which by statistics is overdue) is going to be that much more difficult for many broadcasters to withstand. When the going gets rough, ad money dries up first. Most of the stations have been automated and cut to the bone. When the revenue starts to fall, what are they going to do next?

jr_tech
    Participant

Weather can be a factor as well… IIRC about 10 years ago, the NCE antenna installation at the Sylvan site experienced several fairly longish delays because of weather conditions that slowed tower work, and turned the filing of the 302 into a real “squeaker”.

semoochie
    Participant

I know that KWLZ is a special case and I wasn’t referring to them directly although KXXO waited for the last minute also. Reading about them simply made me think of the situation. It just seems to happen an awful lot, just counting the stations here. I thought there must be a reason for it to so often come down to the final days. I didn’t really think there was a tax break but conjectured that it might be something special. Stations used to have one year and they were sometimes up and running in much less time. It just seems odd.

semoochie
    Participant

I think the format speculation can now begin. KXXO is AC so that seems like a possibility but I heard a rumor that they would be the fourth Country station. I’d like to see a Soft AC. Any others?

Andy Brown
    Participant

If they choose one of the top 5 formats (which 95% of all commercial FM’s do) it will have zero impact on the market profile and next to no impact on ratings. A third or fourth station in a format category can’t hope to steal many points. They will (in the words of the late Vic Ives) just “blend into the woodwork.” So sad. You want to make a splash, you have to have guts. Where/when in this market was the last time somebody did anything even resembling taking a chance?

“Stations used to have one year and they were sometimes up and running in much less time. It just seems odd.”

Stations used to often be one and only owner operated. Therein lies your answer. Nowadays, it’s all about different things, corporate malfeasance, often on a grand scale.

To say that corporate radio in the USA sucks is the understatement of the century.

http://airbornesurfer.com/2015/08/last-of-the-indie-radio-stations-fights-on/

Alfredo_T
    Participant

^^^
    Isn’t calling WWCD Columbus the “last of the indie radio stations” a bit of an exaggeration? Don’t KLYC, KWIP, and KUIK all fit the definition of being independently owned?

semoochie
    Participant

What about KBPS? Not only is it independently owned but has been by the same organization for the last 92 years!

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I was originally thinking only of commercial stations. However, KBPS deserves to be mentioned because they have not yet been gobbled by OPB in the way that KMHD was a few years ago.

cbaravelli
    Spectator

As KXXO has been “testing” since 11 August from Capitol Peak almost daily without a CDBS 302; as the ten year twin transition has not been “smooth”; as KXXO now is in the primary partnership position; as KXXO must file a PTA before KWLZ does; as 3 Cities & 3 Horizons must file Licence to Cover simultaneously before FCC drop deadline…

Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight.

semoochie
    Participant

They both filed “license to cover” before the deadline.

semoochie
    Participant

I’m a little confused as to why program tests haven’t begun yet on KWLZ. The construction permit states that they can’t commence program tests until KXXO commences them. It doesn’t say KXXO has to conclude them before KWLZ can start. In any event, KWLZ has yet to file the form that indicates program tests will begin.

Andy Brown
    Participant

<>

semoochie
    Participant

less than/greater than?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.