KWBY going to 10kw

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  boisebill 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

semoochie
    Participant

KWBY 940AM’s application to increase daytime power to 10KW has been granted. If this were 50 years ago, it would be a huge deal but they should still expect solid metro coverage if noise isn’t a factor.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I find some sad irony in this power increase happening after the station has changed its programming from in-house produced offerings that engaged with the local community to what appears to be a complete schedule of paid programs that come in from other markets.

Broadway
    Participant

Found a good price on a used 10kw somewhere?

boisebill
    Participant

And why 10 kw?
    The SBE 16 Clays Corner column for October says that Bustos is moving the now un-used night 10 kw 1210 Auburn site transmitter to Woodburn!

Broadway
    Participant

That tower might glow a bit at night 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Broadway.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Broadway.

semoochie
    Participant

Possibly, it’s the most they can get from a single tower without interfering with KJR.

ccullen
    Participant

The tower will not be glowing at night as they will still be operating at the 200W power level at night.

The stations tower is quite short though at only 54 degrees. With an antenna resistance of 11 ohms, they will be moving a lot of antenna current for this power level, about 30A, to make 10KW.

Broadway
    Participant

>>The tower will not be glowing at night
    I differ to the master…should’a thought of…

El_Chico
    Participant

Is that going to interfere with KCOE in Bend?

semoochie
    Participant

There is no KCOE. They have returned their license to the FCC, the license has expired and the towers dismantled. That’s the reason KWBY can increase power from 250 watts to 10KW on the same tower. KWBY, then KWRC was limited to 250 watts when KCOE, then KGRL was 1KW.

El_Chico
    Participant

I heard KWBY had always been operating on 1000W day

boisebill
    Participant

semoochie
    Participant

In case you didn’t click on the link, KWRC/KWBY has always been 250 watts during the daytime. Had they been 1KW, their coverage would have doubled. If I’m not mistaken, their new coverage will be six and a half times their current coverage.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  semoochie.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Looks like it’s a little less then four, not six. Almost doubling the radius (by visual inspection)(distance to the contour of your choice 2.0 or 0.5 mV) means area increases by a factor of four. A=πr²

http://bit.ly/2LftU0a
    see proposed vs licensed daytime contours page 12

jr_tech
    Participant

FWIW, I get closer to 7x area.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.