KVAN – The Mono Maniacs – Mrs. Murphy & More

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History KVAN – The Mono Maniacs – Mrs. Murphy & More

This topic contains 36 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Craig_Adams 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Craig_Adams
    Participant

While corresponding with Don Wilkinson on the KPDQ history. I sent him the Mrs. Murphy, KVAN history and Don sent me this nugget. I’ve placed this in 1965. Don can’t remember when this happened but it was at the Jantzen Beach transmitter site:

Don Wilkinson (formerly on KVAS, KPDQ CE, KLOO CE, simultaneously KPDQ AM/FM ACE, KATU CE, later KJIB ACE, KOMO CE) remembers Mrs. Murphy: “She called me one day and said that there was something wrong with her transmitter, that it could only be heard for several blocks. I confirmed this as I drove up to the site. The first thing I noticed going in the building was that the 4-400s in the transmitter were lit up like light bulbs. I had her turn the transmitter off while I made a quick visual inspection. I found that someone had placed a stack of pennies in the spark gap at the tower, shorting it out. The transmitter came back up without any apparent damage. Cathryn told me that she didn’t have any money and couldn’t pay me. Lesson learned. That was the last time I heard from her…fortunately.”

Andy Brown
    Participant

Here are some pics of KVAN swag, the nighttime antennae site and new 1977 studio, the classic KVAN Monomaniacs studio on N. Portland Road (eventually demolished, pic taken in 1990 after the night time antennae were moved there from Vancouver) and a few others.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3154460375007.201518.1070106680&type=1&l=d3161a09a4

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Andy: Thanks for the link. I missed seeing a bunch of these pictures on facebook.

Paul Schindler
    Participant

I have been curious about the black and white publicity photos of Mrs. Murphy which adorned the walls of the studio trailer outside the gun club during my stint as a dj/chief engineer in the summer of 1969. It looked like she was singing. She wasn’t. But she was compiling a list of radio show credits in LA in the 1940s, under her maiden name of Catherine Cragen, starting with an appearance on DuPont’s Cavalcade of America in 1941, and including a least one episode of “Miss Information” on KFI, on which she played–Miss Information. Is she still alive?

mwdxer1
    Participant

I remember very well the old K-VAN 1480. A friend and I visited K-VAN back in 1970 when DJ Bob Kile was on the air. He typed out a QSL for me. The letterhead reads “Owned and Operated by Katheryn C. Murphy”. That is one of my jewels in the over 3,000+ MW (AM) QSL’s. A station that was hard to hear on the Oregon Coast. Not using a tower but an untuned longwire. They must not had been putting out more that a couple hundred watts. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

semoochie
    Participant

It was and still is 1KW during the daytime. Mrs. Murphy is no longer with us.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Paul Schindler: Thanks for the new information on Mrs. Murphy.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.