KVAN – The Mono Maniacs – Mrs. Murphy & More

feedback.pdxradio.com forums feedback.pdxradio.com forums History KVAN – The Mono Maniacs – Mrs. Murphy & More

This topic contains 36 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Craig_Adams 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

msndrspdx
    Participant

The writers of “WKRP in Cincinnati” could never have duplicated this! I agree…this is enough for a novel-length book! 8)

Best, M. 8)

jimbo
    Participant

Great Job Craig!!!

Never saw/read so much of what was going on in one place in such a short period of time (compared to others). Took a day of rest to get my head to stop spinning. How on earth did you keep all that info straight? This must be one of the busiest ones you have researched.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Jimbo: Your’re correct, writing something like this would have been nearly impossible a decade ago and even if tried, it wouldn’t have been so inclusive.

When I began writing the KXL history in 2004, I was still using paper and pen. Adding information into an area I had already hand written was a pain. I would cut out the new info with a scissors and then cut the history page where it need to be inserted, then Scotch tape them together. Pages would grow so large I would have to cut them up into separate pages. These pages at times would be cut up so much that the tape would be 4 or 5 times thick and would make the pages hilly!

Spending evenings at the library for weeks and in KXL’s case months, having to order “The Portland Telegram” newspaper books because they were never transferred to microfilm. KXL had an association with the newspaper it gave the best coverage of the station.

Now all the old “Oregonian” newspapers are on-line. As are the “Broadcasting Yearbooks.” I’m no longer spending evenings a PSU library sometimes staying until midnight researching old Yearbooks when PSU would kick out the non-students.

With my word pad on my computer, it’s a snap! Plus the on-line sites never close. I can spend as much time as needed, not having to hurry up. Facebook has also made it easier to connect with personnel than ever before. I’m taking less time on writing histories and getting better results! I love the future!

Andy Brown
    Participant

Cut and paste moves on, but the name is rooted in the actions it used to take. Good job, Craig.

Valerie ring
    Participant

Craig, will you write my obituary? Great job my friend!

Waynes World
    Participant

Thanks Everyone! And to all that helped in the writing of this. I couldn’t have done it without you.

Oh and Wayne, Iris never worked for KINK.

I probably confused her with Inessa. I thought Iris worked for KGON.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Thanks Val! But don’t talk like that!

Fame! You’re going to live forever! 😀

Craig_Adams
    Participant

KVAN stories keep surfacing. This one has been added to the master copy but thought of posting it here as well. Enjoy!

______________________________________________________________________________________

On May 29, 1976 Double Tee Promotions presented “Journey with special guest Thin Lizzy”, 8:00pm, Saturday at the Paramount Theatre, $6.00.

The Big B.A. remembers: “After release of “Jailbreak” I called a friend who worked at Rocky Butte Jail, I got him to agree to let inmates send KVAN a letter why they should get one night to see Thin Lizzy in the Paramount. Inmates had to have charges less than a Felony to be able to send a letter. We ended up picking 2 inmates, one was a forger, the other was in for roughing up his wife. I have a picture. We picked the inmates up in a limo and the reaction from inmates at Rocky Butte Jail when the limo pulled up was like a rock festival. Once in the Paramount the inmates had one guard to keep an eye on both and one of the inmates actually disappeared after the show. Boy did the record company take advantage of that incident when it came to promotion.”

skeptical
    Participant

I wonder if this thing would go over well today?

semoochie
    Participant

I wonder if it went over well then!

Craig_Adams
    Participant

I’ve checked, there were no stories about this in The Oregonian or in Billboard Magazine.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

KVAN stories keep surfacing. This one has been added to the master copy but thought of posting it here as well. Enjoy!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Capitol Records Promotional Manager for The Pacific Northwest was Stan Foreman. Stan would visit KVAN with the latest releases and remembers:

“Howard was indeed a strange dude…at least as far as most radio station owners/managers go…unless you consider a station manager wearing a cowboy hat and boots and having a pistol on his desk as normal. Howard was into playing a lot of new music on KVAN and the record promotion people loved that. And speaking of love, Howard especially loved the time buys that we would send his way to support the airplay. I do remember going to the KVAN studios and walking up the “gangplank” to the houseboat which housed the studios…and Howard’s dogs would come running out to greet us. It was kind of like Woodstock On The River…lots of music, drugs, dogs, food, whatever. Those were some good times.”

silverdollar
    Participant

silverdollar
    Participant

Craig- Great work on this. Terrific.

Craig_Adams
    Participant

Thanks Stoneman!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.