KUIK sold for $50,000.

This topic contains 28 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Brown 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

kjunguy
    Participant

Check out the FCC website. KUIK was sold to a Portland area group.

KXRU-ED
    Participant

I think they are missing some zeros in there I don’t believe this amount

Alfredo_T
    Participant

My first reaction upon reading the subject line of this thread was, “ouch!”

I am a bit skeptical, but what tempers my skepticism is that KUIK’s transmitter site sits on about 11 acres of land that is zoned for medium-density residential construction, and Dolphin Communications never owned this land. The purchase price just buys the license, used equipment, four towers, and the buildings at the tower site.

Screamer
    Participant

I feel the lease for the land will be the determining factor on whether or not KUIK can become profitable. I can only imagine the task will be more challenging without a FM translator. I heard KXPD is trying to lease their signal. I would be curious to know the comparison in operating costs.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

Here is a story about the sale: https://www.rbr.com/animal-stories-dolphin-sells-silent-am-to-flying-ant/

(Note that they mis-identified the location of the transmitter site.)

No land is included. The buyers, Flying Ant, LLC, is an investors’ group that does not own any other radio properties.

jr_tech
    Participant

Details from the FCC site:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101791484&qnum=5040&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

Attached to form 314, accepted for filing 10/03/18

kjunguy
    Participant

Did you notice Appendix A on the Form 314 proposes to lease the antenna site for the first three years at $250.00 per month.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I noticed that, and I wondered how tower rent could be so inexpensive.

Screamer
    Participant

Someone mentioned that the land is not part of the deal. Perhaps the lease on the land is steep?

Zander
    Participant

Digging a little deeper into this transaction, the 11 acre transmitter site and towers are retained by Don McCoun under McCoun Tower LLC. There is a relocation clause that compels the buyer to relocate the station when directed by McCoun Tower LLC…basically as soon as there is a buyer for the property they will need to relocate. Not a three year term, only agreed to lower rent for the first three years.

Flying Ant LLC, the buyer, is somehow connected to XRAY-FM as all communications on this matter are to be sent to Amanda Brockman (currently listed as the Director of Development at XRAY-FM) and the agreement was signed by Jefferson Smith, former member of the Oregon House of Representatives and also connected with XRAY-FM.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Hard to believe (maybe not too hard) that XRAY would waste their money on this. Clearly they don’t understand how expensive it is to relocate an AM DA and how impossible it is to find a piece of land big enough, affordable enough and close enough to the metro to overcome the fact that all their night time protections are on the populated side (east) of their current site. 5 kW on 1360 needs to be close to the area you want to serve. 1330 is a good example. It’s right on the edge of Portland (Mt. Scott) and has OK coverage in the metro but no protections on the side towards downtown.

There must be more to this story. Maybe they’ll drop the DA and just go 500 W at night, but still, finding land and erecting even a single tower is expensive, and jumping through the county hoops at the zoning and planning board is time consuming. Maybe duplex into an existing array or single tower, also expensive. For a channel in a dying band that next to no one listens to anymore? Not to even mention the operating costs be it lease money or property taxes. Is it the translator CP they want? Why spend 50k on that if they aren’t going to relight the AM. Lots of unanswered questions.

Notalent
    Participant

I seem to remember that tower site as being a seasonal wetland…

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Notalent.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Notalent.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

This is getting even more interesting. I had expected that 1360 would be coming back as a time brokerage operation. I did not anticipate the possibility that Xray might now be on AM.

Andy Brown
    Participant

Jefferson Smith cannot be on the board of XRAY (Columbia Educations Broadcast System) and have anything to do with a commercial AM station. So there’s the first flag. They would have to petition the FCC to take the AM into non com status.

Also, non-commercial XRAY’s programming can not be used to sell commercial airtime on a commercial AM station, but that’s a grey area. Certainly, the AM can not be used to raise money for XRAY while it is commercial and XRAY’s programming must remain driven by underwriting rules.

radiogeek
    Participant

Interesting, especially because 1) the best asset XRAY has is the 107.1 translator which they don’t own 2) the concept of a string of LPFM stations hasn’t worked out quite as conceived 3) The originating signal on 91.1 is weak and difficult for them to grab off air to feed 107.1 4) I believe I’ve been to the existing transmitter site in Hillsboro and that area is growing, FAST and the city just put money into a public park nearby which means that land will be gone very soon …

I’m asking …

Could an AM signal even if relocated be a more reliable way of feeding on air the 107.1 translator?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.