KUIK 1360 Hillsboro sold

Tagged: 

This topic contains 38 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  stevewa 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

cbaravelli
    Spectator

Except for the company and personal stuff, all the gear is still inside.

chessyduck
    Participant

I drove out on 27 June to the busy area where the KUIK towers still stand.
    A big signs states “FOR SALE – 11 ACRES. Zoned FD-20 Low Density Residential. Offered by Windermere Real Estate. ”

A great county radio resource now gone…

Broadway
    Participant

>>β€œFOR SALE – 11 ACRES.
    That property is part of a major new housing development in south Hillsboro

cbaravelli
    Spectator

10 August 2018, FCC grants REMAIN SILENT AUTHORITY & SILENT NOTIFICATION. “STATION KUIK(AM) WENT SILENT FOR FINANCIAL REASONS. THE LICENSEE IS IN THE PROCESS OF ATTEMPTING TO SELL THE STATION AND RETURN IT TO SERVICE.” Office and studios are cleaned out except for some stationary and a high school mascot uniform and banners. Antennae are still standing.
    Prospective buyer is an ethnic broadcaster. Market analysis reveals there is a large H1-B population with extended family members residing in the area, the POP (Price of Population) is in the $15.25 to $16.00 range and did not justify the original asking price.
    Seems only the AM and FM frequencies are for sale.

stevewa
    Participant

If they have to buy the transmitter site no way they can make it pay. Given the complexity of the pattern moving the DA would probably be prohibitive, too.

It almost might have been more viable had it stayed a 1KW daytimer in Jackson Bottom…

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  stevewa.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

I recently read an interview with Don McCoun in which he said that when he bought KUIK, he came to realize the importance of the drive time audience to a radio station’s success. When KUIK was daytime-only, it had to sign off during the middle of afternoon drive in the winter months.

Broadway
    Participant

Thought I heard Spanish on the freq around 5pm this afternoon…could have been skip from somewhere like KKMO Tacoma which is Spanish format…signal was strong in Salem-OR.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Broadway.

Alfredo_T
    Participant

What you are hearing is KKMO. The way I know this is that I am in Hillsboro, and I check 1360 regularly.

Some weeks ago, I walked up to the second story hallway of the Hillsboro Airport terminal building. I could see the empty KUIK reception/office area. However, I was unaware that the studio equipment is still in place. It would seem that this would be a turn-key operation for the new buyers, should they agree to the price.

While in the terminal building, I noted that the restaurant that was once there has gone out of business. I only ate there once, so perhaps I have been long out of the loop.

stevewa
    Participant

Yeah the Blue Max (?) has been gone for some time. I recall visiting the then new studios and being told it was possible for the staff to order a meal through a window into the control room πŸ™‚

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.